Wife has trouble working LCP Max slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JackJames

Bearcat
Is there a way to make it easier to pull the slide? My wife has trouble working the slide. Otherwise we like the Max a lot and she would like to use this as her primary.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Yes Primarily for range use. There's 2 different sizes, make sure you pick the one that fits your wifes pistol. Probably the green one. I've been using one for years for my full size guns.

And welcome from MS. :)

Last edited:
many women and some men have a problem wracking the slide on semi-auto pistols.... especially 9mm and above. The recoil spring has to have a certain amount of strength to regulate the recoil just right. Also the size of the pistol (smaller) even adds to this problem 380 pistols are quite a bit easier to wrack than anything above.... I've found one of the heaviest is 357 Sigs....

The first firearms class I ever took showed a way to do it by placing the very top front edge of the slide, just above the barrel, on the edge of a desk and pushing straight down.....

JBP

Single-Sixer
Between arthritis and carpal tunnel plus a dislike of any recoil my wife just couldn't handle anything but a .22 or .25. Solution was to get Beretta tip up barrels in both calibers. Of course she didn't want to chance breaking her nails so I still had to load the magazines. LOL.

A piece of 1/2" PVC pipe about 3" long. Place pipe on flat surface, place the muzzle of the handgun concentric to the vertical pipe and push straight down. I made one for a friend and turned a larger than pipe OD flange with a nub glued inside of the pipe. Worked like a charm. Exercising hand with a rubber ball helps too during TV commercials and exercising to build moderate upper body strength with therapy rubber band.

Hi. What is an LCR?
The LCR ia great choice. I recommend the .357 and shoot .38. It is about 4oz heavier than the .38 model and handles recoil much better. The DA trigger pull is around 9lbs and is really smooth. It takes most shooters some training to allow the trigger to fully reset and avoid short stroking. The LCR is available in a number of calibers to include .22lr and .22 mag. A .357 for carry and a .22lr for lots of cheap range training is hard to beat. Another option is skateboard tape or Talon grip tape on the slide of the Max. This is what I've done on my Glocks in my old age and loss of hand strength. Works for me.

Mike J

Hunter
There is a method of racking the slide where you put one hand on the slide, the other on the grip, with the gun pointed down slightly away from you. Then you basically just shrug your shoulders. Let the one hand pull the slide up & the other press the grip down. I'm not sure if I explained it well enough. If I get a chance I'll see if I can find a link to it being demonstrated.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Part of the problem some people have, (especially those new to semi-auto's) is they tend to be 'gentle' when racking the slide. Which means they do it slowly, both pulling it back and riding it forward. They're afraid they will somehow damage something, or cause it to fire. I've had to train folks out of this more than once, and explain to them that they need to show the gun who's the boss, and that they aren't physically capable of doing anything to the gun that doesn't happen when it's fired. In other words, GET PHYSICAL WITH THAT SUCKER! Rack it fast and hard. Make some noise! :) Personally, I won't have any pistol that can't take some rough love. ;)

Btw, the factory recoil spring weight on the LCPMax is only 9lbs, very light compared to many other pistols.

Last edited:
might consider the beretta model 86 380 with tip up barrel.

but they are no longer made and now are quite expensive [ i have a couple of these ... not for sale though ]

recently EAA started importing a copy of these made by girsan......i think i will get one [ sportsmans warehouse has them intermittently ]
this one is under 500$

no rackiing of the slide, easy to use and safe for the inexperienced.

LarryBG

Bearcat
Have her try holding the slide and push the gun rather than pulling the slide. No expert on bottom feeder for sure BUT that is the way a lot of the SASS woman do 1911s shooting in Wild Bunch Category.
Don't pull back the slide. Hold it still, close to the body and push the frame forward.
This^ This method works very well with weaker hand strength.