Where did all the powder go??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

John S

Bearcat
Are they steal making it? I have been looking for blue dot & long shot powder for a long time now. Where do you thank it is going??

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
No shooter is ever going to trust the gov't again, so we are all stocking up in anticipation of stricter gun laws to come.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Some claim the majority of powder being manufactured is being directed to the ammo makers. Between that and all the new reloaders, and the current reloaders buying more than usual........ A couple of industrial accidents at powder plants hasn't helped much either.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'd suspect that outfits like Georgia Arms and Freedom Munitions is using it as fast as their equipment can be made to run.

DGW

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
I'd suspect that outfits like Georgia Arms and Freedom Munitions is using it as fast as their equipment can be made to run.

Hi,

Yup! Then we can multiply their usage by the number of companies out there also making huge amounts of ammo every day!

Just for example, some months back we had a thread which told how CCI alone was making 4 million rounds of .22LR per day, seven days a week. Other sources have put total US production of .22LR around 12 million rounds/day. Now I've never weighed the powder charge of a .22LR, but a figure of 1.0 to 1.5 gr is sometimes quoted. Let's say 1.0 gr/round for discussion. At that charge, we're talking a bit more than 1 3/4 of a TON per day... or nearly SIX tons of powder each week! JUST for .22LR ammo! How many shelves at the LGS would TEN THOUSAND and some of those one pound jugs take?

Trying to put that in another perspective, I started loading at the end of 1965. Since then, I've loaded around 250k rounds. To some of you, that's not much, but to the average active shooter and handloader, it's probably a fair number. Looking back, I might have gone thru 750 lbs of powder. In the grand scheme of things, that's not even enough to make it to lunch time on a single shift for the guys making .22s... :shock:

So in real life that couple of pounds we're looking for to restock our shelves as individuals doesn't even register on the screen! People don't seem to understand the huge scale of demand we're talking about, versus the relatively small production capacity...

(Edited to correct some of my figures...)

Rick C

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I was able to pick up a lb of H110 and a lb of Titegroup today. Lgs had probably 100 bottles of various brands. Ive never bought either of those powders before so didn't know if they were asking too much but a lb in the hand is better than looking through websites and seeing "out of stock"

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
It's been hit & miss by me. I have 4 or 5 local shops that have had the powders I use over the past 18 months. So I've been able to stock up.
I'm still looking for a pound or 2 of 2400 & If I see some hp-38/231 or h110 I'm gonna get an extra pound.
All the shops by me only have rifle powders at the moment & Im well stock on that.
I don't know if I'm in a good area but I've been able to get everything

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Panic buying and stockpiling at the consumer level of guns, ammo and components has taken the country by storm. It is starting to level off now and some are even predicting a crash in prices in the near future but don't hold your breath for that. :D

I hope wolfsong doesn't see this post or he will be attacking me over here.

9.3X62AL

Bearcat
I'm in fair shape when it comes to componentry. Still, I would like to see some semblance of normalcy return to the firearms and accessories market. Kind of a Perfect Storm occurred........massive demand from a growing hobby/CCW/hoarder uptick, government threats to gun rights, and manufacturer reluctance to expand physical plant and manufacturing capacity from those same .gov rumblings. I've been involved in this hobby field on some level for 50+ years, and I cannot recall a deeper or more persistent shortage event during that time. It's annoying as can be, but yelling and hollering won't improve things.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
You can find most of the powder you're looking for on GunBroker but be ready to pay double or more per pound for pistol powder. I will not give them the satisfaction. I bought 6lbs of 7625 18 months ago from Midsouth. I have not seen it in stock since, I found a pound of Longshot at a Bass Pro in Spanish Fort 3 months back.

I really think it's people hoarding. I absolutely do not mind folks having lots of powder, ammo, etc. I'm one of them in that over the last 15-20 years I accumulate powder because I'll see a good deal on an 8 lb. jug of AA#7, find a 12 lb. keg of 700-X at an auction, run across a garage sale when a handloader is selling out, etc. Same with .22 LR. for almost 20 years, I'd see 525 round cartons for $9.99. Like my wise old father said: "At that price why NOT buy it?"

On the other hand I saw a post on another forum in which a fellow had been buying handgun powder recently and admitted he had now amassed 75 lbs. of it! The 75 POUNDS of JUST handgun powder. Assuming a load of 7.0 grs. per cartridge, this numbskull would need 15 CASES of primers just to use all this powder.

THAT my friends is the difference in accumulating and hoarding.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
308 Scout said:
I really think it's people hoarding.
+1 Do a search for ammo hoarding and look at the pictures or cruze over to that AR15.com forum and snoop around. There are some very serious hoarders over there. :shock:

stevemb

Hunter
Hoarding, yes, but other factors too. One facility down due to fire etc.. Lots of shuffling as to who owns whom too. Re-configuring of product lines. etc..

Here in the Phoenix area I can find what I need but at a slightly higher price. One location that specializes in reloading and bench rest products has got lots of inventory. (30 miles from my home.) I have been reloading since late 2011 and I am still finding powders in stores that I had only seen in books.

Getting better but still not where it should be.

Bill

308 Scout said:
On the other hand I saw a post on another forum in which a fellow had been buying handgun powder recently and admitted he had now amassed 75 lbs. of it! The 75 POUNDS of JUST handgun powder. Assuming a load of 7.0 grs. per cartridge, this numbskull would need 15 CASES of primers just to use all this powder.

THAT my friends is the difference in accumulating and hoarding.

What would make you think some of us don't have enough primers to cover the powder we have on hand???

Without giving you the numbers in inventory, lets just say that almost all my primers cost me less than a penny each. :)

Oh I don't doubt for a nanosecond that someone who would have 75 lbs. of pistol powder would also have 75,000 primers. Point is I've noticed, by virtue of most folks post counts, that they spend far, far more time TALKING about shooting than actually SHOOTING.

If your primers cost you less than 1¢ each, then you've been accumulating them for quite a few years.

John S

Bearcat
I emailed Alliant and they said that OMC. is using a lot of power and they are running 24/7. I don't now what OMC is??