Powder for

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I'm a pest I know.
Could someone reccomend about 3 to 4 powders that would be good for 45Lc and 44mag. I would like to shoot a little lighter than full blown loads. Just want to lighten the recoil. I don't hunt so full loads are just not needed. Seems like about 30 years ago I used Unique for 44 mag. Anyway any suggestions appreciated
Thankyou I'm under the weather and wife is too. Just want order some powder and primers and set back and wait. Thanks again

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I'm a pest I know.
Could someone reccomend about 3 to 4 powders that would be good for 45Lc and 44mag. I would like to shoot a little lighter than full blown loads. Just want to lighten the recoil. I don't hunt so full loads are just not needed. Seems like about 30 years ago I used Unique for 44 mag. Anyway any suggestions appreciated
Thankyou I'm under the weather and wife is too. Just want order some powder and primers and set back and wait. Thanks again
I use more 231 ( same as hp38) than anything else for midrange loads,it's been around a long time, and there's TONS of data for it. It burns clean, as long as the loads are not reduced too low. It has a very wide range of applications.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
For .44 mag, 240 gr jacketed, I use the minimum Accurate Arms #9 load that I find in the Speer manual. It is mild for .44 mag, but still has enough power to topple a 55-lb steel ram at 200 meters.

AA#9 offers good loading density in the case. It's an easy-to-meter spherical powder.

Here is a good online interactive resource, you can select a wide variety of powders and bullets for any caliber. In this link I have selected .44 mag:

It provides data based on the reloading manuals. There is a lot of data here because I have chosen to select ALL powders and ALL bullet types. You can substantially trim down the data presented by choosing just the powders and bullet types you are interested in.

I use universal, AA 5, & 2400. I mainly use cast bullets. I've also used red dot, green dot & unique with decent results, they just burn a little dirty compared to universal.

I went to see my "powder guy" yesterday, I had sent him a wish list of his company's powder I wanted before Christmas. Well, he was able to fill 2/3ds of the list. In the course of discussion, he informed me that "there won't be any powder available in 2024". There was an empty semi-truck there to load up all his bulk powder stores to take to a "well known" ammunition manufacturer. He still had no Large Pistol Primers. No 2400 speed powders. He said that most powder manufacturers are making "military speed/grades" for small caliber such as pistol and mid-size rifle calibers, I expect they are also putting emphasis on the really slow powders for 50 caliber and larger ammunition. This was all instigated by the ongoing war in Ukraine and the military action by Israel. Hopefully the military action in Israel will wind down soon.

Last edited:

IKE

Single-Sixer
Unless I want to load some real barn burners in my stainless 7.5" .44 Mag Redhawk utilizing H110 and mag primers I've used Winchester 231 in everything since I started reloading back in the mid 80's.......38 Spl., .357 Mag., 45ACP and .44 Mag.

As well as the reloading manuals the Hodgdon web site also lists data for 231 and the 45 Colt.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Unique, Red Dot, Bullseye, American Select,
Long Shot, Power Pistol, lastly Win 231 or
HP-38, sometimes Win 296.

I suggest read a lot of Reloading Books,
read Gun websites, try to talk with an
Experienced Reloader.

The Best to you and your Endeavors.

Outpost75

Outpost75
Bullseye was used for factory smokeless loads in the .45 Colt for over 100 years. Load 6.5 grains with 250-grain lead or 6 grains with 255-grain and heavier. Max. not to exceed in Italian clones and post-1920 Colt New Service is 7.5 grains.

Alternately 7.0 to 8.0 of Unique for standard pressure with 250-260 lead. Load 8.5 grains in the Italian clones and Colt New Service. For Ruger and Contender 9-10 grains.

Another big fan of AA9 here for your stated purpose. Unique is still as good as it ever was, but hard to find according to many. I haven't tried to buy it in a while.
AA7 and AA9 are in the range of 2400/4227, I believe, are powders that are not being made. Kind of shocking since those powders were used for 30 carbine during WW II.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
AA9 is slightly faster than 2400 or 4227, but still capable of near top velocity. H110/296 are capable of slightly higher velocity but lack the flexibility of the others mentioned. I've seen 4227 for sale online recently but it was pricey. I bought 6 or 8# of it at a good price several years ago and use it some. 2400 has been scarce for several years.

Latest posts