Crazy pricing on powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

krw

Blackhawk
We'll be in Tulsa in April. Years ago that's where we would stock up on powder for the next 6 months.
I bet I will have more powder at my house than the worlds largest gun show will have. Its unbelievable how it has changed in last few years
20 years ago, the more you would buy, the more vendors would come down on the price. Aint that way no more!!

bobski

Hunter
they are pinching us because they got us all desperate, scared, and begging.
i said it once i will say it again...stop buying it and pinch... them.
theyll come down. ya gotta play economic curve war with them. its all they know, and they are doing to us. some see it some dont. its the donts that have the hook in their lip... and they gotcha.

krw

Blackhawk
By the way, I have seen some Trailboss auctions on GB bring over $100. That is inc Tax, and shipping costs

contender

Ruger Guru
If Trail Boss powder is so expensive,, then I'm sitting on a gold mine. I have a new un-opened big jug,, (the 8 lb bottle size,, but I know it's not 8 lbs.) and 4-5 unopened 1 lb bottle sized ones.

I try to always buy in bulk, and have enough on hand to last me a long time.

At a gun show today,, I saw a powder that many seem to be searching for. Trail Boss.
The 1 lb container size,, which contains less than a pound. The dealer had them priced at $150.00 per container.
His other stuff was way high as well.

Contender, was there any way to tell if that was new production, or old stock?

I know that Trail Boss is/was unavailable for several years.

I've sent Hodgdon numerous politely-worded emails of the years, and don't recall ever getting any response.

Most of those emails were inquiries as to whether any more Trail Boss was oing to be imported, in the foreseeable future.

It's unfortunate, because it makes me think that I need to find another powder conglomerate to order from… 🤬

contender

Ruger Guru
Uncle Howie,, by the appearance of the Trail Boss containers,, they appeared to be older stock. Heck, the ones I have in my stash are still sealed & looked like recent production.

With that kind of pricing,, I actually considered selling part of my stash.

gunzo

Hunter
In general, powder prices seem to have settled at approx. $50 dollars a pound.

Now, TB is another subject as it's been hinted that we may never see it again. Still listed on Hodgdons web site, but about the only powder that's still listed that has not come back, not once, from the big shortage.

In general, powder prices seem to have settled at approx. $50 dollars a pound.

Now, TB is another subject as it's been hinted that we may never see it again. Still listed on Hodgdons web site, but about the only powder that's still listed that has not come back, not once, from the big shortage.
Still $25/lb too expensive. It'll have to drop to less than $30 before I buy more. I did get a #8 of Titegroup earlier last year for $208, ecstatic about that. Should have bought another.

contender

Ruger Guru
I doubt seriously if we'll see new powder under $30 a pound anymore. All expenses have risen over the last couple of years,, and from what I saw at SHOT & in general,, you'll never buy new powder under $30 in general anymore.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
I try to maintain a supply of powders ranging from fast to slow and from the larger manufacturers.

I also favor powders that have been around for over 50 years.

Unique is the one powder I want that I don't have.

Those photos above make me drool.

IMG_3639.jpeg

I was recently told to my face by the CEO of the newest powder companies that powder this summer will be almost non-existent. He is actively seeking alternative sources for his offerings other than the Balkan Countries. He spent the latter month of 2023 and early 2024 in South Africa exploring alternatives. SA, because of apartied embargo, has built up quite an arms and armor industries. There are other opportunities in Europe but the threat of the Russian Menace, the possibility of steady supply is really not stable.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
For what ever reason the last week I have
been looking at IMR powders on Scheels
Sporting Goods website.

Yesterday I see all IMR powders jumped
in price from roughly $47 to $70 per
pound. 8 pound jug went up $100.

I was looking at getting 8lbs of IMR
4350, now I'm going to delay doing
that.

Latest posts