What type of cookware do you use?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T-Fal

As so many others, I used teflon coated pans for many years. They have all been temporary in performance, and disposable by design.

Over the last couple years, I've used T-Fal frying pans. I do not know what the coating is, but this coating has been very durable, and very non-stick. There's still a down side. These fry pans have warped, in spite of my best efforts to not over heat them.

And as far as cooking pans, we still use our 40+ year old Duncan Hines stainless steel pans my Mom bought us years ago. I like them, and my Mom said they were the best, but often I have to steel wool them for cleaning. Food easily burns in them.

Last edited:
Years ago my wife decided LeCrouset was the way to go. We've had some of the pots for more than 20 years and are still going strong, although the handle does twist on the one. We do have a Lodge frying pan and a Lodge Dutch oven as well.

A fairly substantial investment, but over time has aged quite well.

I've seen some pretty good reviews explaining how terrible the Hex Clad is.

We have a small Viking 2 qt. Sauce pan. And another nameless sauce pan made in France. It's heavy.

I really like carbon steel. And have a large Aus-Ion brand carbon steel pan.

I also like the Le Crueset brand mentioned above. It's enamel coated cast iron, so it works well for acidic foods that regular cast iron can't cook as well.

Then A large Le Crueset (spelling) Dutch oven. They are expensive but guaranteed for life. And yes they replaced it for me once.

I have a dedicated Teflon pan for eggs. Since it only cooks eggs it lasts for a very long time.

For teflon I like the Green Scan Pan brand.

Sugar River

Buckeye
All-Clad for most things.
Enameled cast iron, Staub or Le Creuset, for braising/stewing.
Cast iron skillets for now and then

All but the cast iron are pricey, but I got them at half price since I used to own a cooking equipment store.

Cholo

Staff member
I had a lot to look up with your recommendations!

I was swaying slightly for the HexClad but had my doubts. No one mentioned that brand. I think a lot is hype with Gordon Ramsey hawking their product.

Today I took my daughter and two youngest grandkids to Cracker Barrel. She uses Lodge cast iron and said CB carried it. Before we left I looked at the Lodge brand Made in USA. She gets a 35% discount on anything sold so an 8", 10.25", and a 12" comes out way less than what's on Amazon with her discount; $61 for all three with tax.

If I decide I don't care for it, I have a whole family close by who do.

Thanks! (y)

krw

Blackhawk
Homemade bisquits and Cornbread in a 100yr old plus cast iron skillet. Have to be careful or cornbread will literally jump out it!! 😁😁 Everthing else in some kind of coated skillets

contender

Ruger Guru
Being raised in a restaurant,, we used some cast iron, and good quality stainless. I can't recall the brand from back then. But nowadays,, we use some cast iron, and a tri-ply Calphaon stainless that was recommended to us by a restaurant owning friend. They have been quite good.
But for acidic foods,, we use some glassware types. Easier to maintain.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Cast Iron Skillets from the 40's which belonged to my mother and they may be older than that?
I also have my mother's Made in the U.S.A PYREX (all caps) bowls (7) from cereal bowls to large mixing bowls. I would have had eight, but earlier this year, I dropped one from a high cabinet and it shattered. I got all mysty over that. I am a very emotional person, especially in my olde age. Finally, three (3) 1-2-3 cup PYREX clear glass measuring cups. (My mother's of course). WOW! All that is Vintage (More than 50 years olde!
I understand the Pyrex (not all caps) might shatter in a microwave or oven. I have a clear glassware 8"x 8" which says pyrex (all lowercase) but still made in the U.S.A. and I am pretty sure I got it at the same time as the other bowls.
Sometime after '88 my wife bought a complete set of everything of Mikasa and Nikkoware both made in Japan. I have slowly been giving those away to my G'daughters.
Thanks to OP, this thread was interesting. What's next? Silverware? No way, I do NOT polish silverware, just plain old flatware.

eveled

Hawkeye
Cast Iron Skillets from the 40's which belonged to my mother and they may be older than that?
I also have my mother's Made in the U.S.A PYREX (all caps) bowls (7) from cereal bowls to large mixing bowls. I would have had eight, but earlier this year, I dropped one from a high cabinet and it shattered. I got all mysty over that. I am a very emotional person, especially in my olde age. Finally, three (3) 1-2-3 cup PYREX clear glass measuring cups. (My mother's of course). WOW! All that is Vintage (More than 50 years olde!
I understand the Pyrex (not all caps) might shatter in a microwave or oven. I have a clear glassware 8"x 8" which says pyrex (all lowercase) but still made in the U.S.A. and I am pretty sure I got it at the same time as the other bowls.
Sometime after '88 my wife bought a complete set of everything of Mikasa and Nikkoware both made in Japan. I have slowly been giving those away to my G'daughters.
Thanks to OP, this thread was interesting. What's next? Silverware? No way, I do NOT polish silverware, just plain old flatware.
I used to love my Pyrex. Not sure if all caps or not.

But once you experience a shattering, and having to order take out after you already made a meal. It is hard to trust it again. You find glass shards 20 feet away.

eveled

Hawkeye
I had a lot to look up with your recommendations!

I was swaying slightly for the HexClad but had my doubts. No one mentioned that brand. I think a lot is hype with Gordon Ramsey hawking their product.

Today I took my daughter and two youngest grandkids to Cracker Barrel. She uses Lodge cast iron and said CB carried it. Before we left I looked at the Lodge brand Made in USA. She gets a 35% discount on anything sold so an 8", 10.25", and a 12" comes out way less than what's on Amazon with her discount; $61 for all three with tax.

If I decide I don't care for it, I have a whole family close by who do.

Thanks! (y)
Sounds like you are all set then. There is a learning curve so Im glad you have your daughter to help.

I never set the stove past medium, but you have to wait for the pan and the oil to be hot enough. Putting food into a cold pan guarantees there will be sticking.

I have a dedicated egg pan. If I sear meat in it, eggs will stick for a while. If I only cook eggs it is absolutely non stick. It is an omlette pan with the gradual transition to the side.
IMG_20180415_084333801-1968x2624.jpeg

Also you need a strong sturdy metal spatula. The kind you can't use on teflon.
Don't be afraid to scrape the pans. Especially if cooking potatoes. Mine is from the Pampered chef.

I have a set if tge small 4" pans tgat are great for baking muffins in, or individual servings of stuffing or single eggs for a McMuffin sandwich
IMG_0737.jpeg

Good luck! Have fun and post pictures.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are all set then. There is a learning curve so Im glad you have your daughter to help.

I never set the stove past medium, but you have to wait for the pan and the oil to be hot enough. Putting food into a cold pan guarantees there will be sticking.

I have a dedicated egg pan. If I sear meat in it, eggs will stick for a while. If I only cook eggs it is absolutely non stick. It is an omlette pan with the gradual transition to the side. View attachment 40839

Also you need a strong sturdy metal spatula. The kind you can't use on teflon.
Don't be afraid to scrape the pans. Especially if cooking potatoes. Mine is from the Pampered chef.

I have a set if tge small 4" pans tgat are great for baking muffins in, or individual servings of stuffing or single eggs for a McMuffin sandwich View attachment 40840

Good luck! Have fun and post pictures.
Great pictures!

Dedicated egg pans are the only way to go.

Cholo, another brand I hear great things about is "Made In." I don't really like the name very much, but they have pans made in USA and Italy etc. they get good reviews.

Anyway, glad you got some cast iron. Hope you like it. I'm actually surprised you didn't have any already. I thought most houses have at least once cast iron pan.

I find a lot of good cast iron at the thrift store.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks @Kevin

@Cholo usually a wipe from a paper towel is all that is needed.

When needed I use hot water and one of these scrub brushes to clean my pans. Then onto a warm burner to dry them.
IMG_6261.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts