warning Scammer among us "simmonburg"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

this guy has ripped off me for $2770. from Tennessee. 78 Turkey creek. send no payment to him. he,s a scammer. looking for advice to move forward. talking to local sheriff's office now. owes me colt, ruger hunter 44 and a S/W....repeated texts, calls...nothing back but lies. I understand there are others are ripped off as well. FNC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220502-151154_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220502-151154_Chrome.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 134

flattop44

Buckeye
I am concerned about a Hunter I sent him $720 for too. He contacted me a couple of times but hasn't answered my PMs and emails in over a week. Please let me know the Sheriff contact you have in a PM so too can get in touch with them.
Thanks, Bill

I'm sorry to say, I had my doubts about his sudden flurry of selling activity.

"Please PM me if you want it." is also just a little different than the usual "First 'I'll take it, gets it.' " Almost as if he wanted to get out of the public space as soon as possible.

I sincerely hope that folks come out of these transactions unscathed… 🤞

whisperingsmith

Single-Sixer
Well, I've been taken as well. He kept making excuses about why the pistol never showed up. Any advice on what I should do moving forward would be very appreciated.

I agree with 43north, get the FBI involved and also call and talk to the BATFE since this deals with interstate transfers of firearms and the total amount and the number of people involved makes it a big deal.

Edit to add: I forgot about the USPS, that is mail fraud and that is what the postal inspectors/investigators get paid for. Thanks idsubgun.

Also, and I did post this in my "Buying a gun on the internet" post:

If money is sent and nothing shipped, contact the sellers local PD, Sheriff, DA, etc. Also contact the FBI and BATFE - this is interstate fraud dealing with firearms. If the FBI and BATFE decline to do anything, contact your US Senator and US Representative and tell them to ask why the FBI and BATFE aren't doing their jobs. Don't accept them saying the money lost doesn't justify them investigating or giving the scammer a call.

Last edited:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I almost contacted Simmonsburg about his classifieds but his prices looked to good to be true and now we know they were.

Did he promise that same Blackhawk Hunter to multiple people and collect multiple payments for the same gun?

Hope the scammed can nail this guy!

whisperingsmith

Single-Sixer
It appears he used some of the same pictures when he sold to me as he did with Far North Collector, although the grips were darker on the main photo. I'll contact those agencies mentioned above. I appreciate all the advise.

Onty

Single-Sixer
I am so sorry to hear how some of you got ripped off.

Here is how you can protect yourself in the future: As others mentioned, when ordering something, insist on using US Postal Service https://www.uspis.gov/ for any correspondence, check mailing and shipping. If corresponding through e-mail, insist on conformation that goods will be shipped using US Postal Service. As far as I know, committing crime using US Postal Service is federal offense, and postal inspectors have legal power almost like FBI agents.

"Our jurisdiction is worldwide" see more https://www.uspis.gov/about/what-we-do

Also, see this:

Enforcing Federal Statutes

If it has anything to do with preserving the safety, security, and integrity of the nation's mail system from criminal misuse, we do it. Our Postal Inspectors are federal law enforcement officers who carry firearms, make arrests, execute federal search warrants, and serve subpoenas. Over 1200 Inspectors enforce roughly 200 federal laws covering crimes that include fraudulent use of the U.S. Mail®​ and the postal system.

Investigating Postal Crimes

Postal Inspectors investigate any crime with a nexus to the mail. These crimes include mail theft, mail fraud, financial fraud, identity theft, robberies and burglaries of postal facilities, assaults and threats on postal employees, investigations of dangerous and prohibited mails, narcotics, cybercrime and much more.

Once an investigation is underway, Postal Inspectors present the case to prosecutors from the U.S. Attorney's Office and local prosecutors. Throughout the prosecution, Postal Inspectors and other Postal Inspection Service employees can be called to provide testimony and explain their findings, process, and conclusions.

Etc., see more here https://www.uspis.gov/about/how-we-do-it

Also, according to this https://www.houstoncrimedefense.com/mail-fraud-using-fedex-ups-houston-texas/ :

Mail fraud is a federal offense in which an individual uses the United States Postal Service or a private carrier to commit fraud. The fraud can be to either obtain money or property under false pretenses or distribute counterfeit funds. While private carriers are not owned by the government, it is still illegal to use private carriers, such as FedEx or UPS to commit mail fraud.

The only problem is that, as far as I know, private carriers do not have any inspectors to crack down on criminals like US Postal Service inspectors do.

In other words, many companies and individuals are using private carriers, so if something goes wrong, there is little we as individuals can do. If something goes wrong using US Postal Service, those responsible are on the hook, and will have postal inspectors asking some tough questions.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if you live in Canada, and using private carriers for ground shipping from USA, in order to reduce shipping cost by the air, there is a good chance you might be hit with brokerage fees when receiving parcel. First hand experience! When I asked how that could be, I was told that brokerage fees are waived when parcel is shipped by air. Later I learned that Using US Postal Service these brokerage fees are not charged, probably because parcel in Canada will be delivered by Canada Post, and they do not charge brokerage fees.

Last edited:

Idiocyabounds

Bearcat
A known scammer contacted me from an old email of mine he had kept for years from a previous attempt he made to scam me (I didn't bite). He had dozens of "holy grail" guns for sale at prices 50% or less of their actual value - a certain tip-off to the scam. I notified my local Sheriff's office in Colorado and forwarded the email he used and asked what they could do to nab this guy before he suckered someone. They said they can't do much of anything but the best way forward was to contact the FTC through their fraud reporting link, saying they are very active at pursuing such scam artists. So that's what I did and gave backing information about this guy from an internet search I did where I found other cases against him in other states (California seems to be where he claimed to be from).

So for all of you, here is that FTC site for opening a fraud report: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

My report was only sent in a week ago so I haven't heard anything back yet, and am hopeful I WILL hear from them in order to know they are on top of it. I hate seeing any of us ripped off.

And just for your information, this guy goes by the name of Charles Guenter Keunecke. His email was [email protected]

Latest posts