Scammer alert zipweight8534 (702) 209-0014

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
"Why would anyone post a WTB for a gun on an open forum?"

A lot of folks look for a specific firearm, or types of firearms for various reasons. Posting a WTB ad has been done ever since we've had Forums etc. Nothing wrong with asking for something.
But as noted,, we (sadly) need to be vigilant against scammers. The criminal element is everywhere.
Posting a WTB ad isn't wrong, nor criminal. And we do have a GREAT bunch of good, honest folks here that often help others in their quests for specific guns. I guess I'd ask; "Why NOT post a WTB ad here if looking for something?"

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Because it's not very smart for at least two major reasons. Sure it used to be okay but most of the scams come from a WTB online. And buying anything online has risks, especially a FArm. No thanks. To each his own. Not worth it.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
with his name number address why doesn't the FBI get this guy for interstate fraud?

No where. It's not smart. Too many risks as shown over and over on every forum there is that allows firearm ads.

If there is a safer place, it's a local message board. At least you can more simply fact check someone.
I disagree, its about being smart. doing your due diligence! I post WTB and mostly buy from folks I already know or have verified the FFL, and shipping. for me its about getting out the word that your looking for what you want. hiding from scammers is the cowards way of letting them win at there game. I say POST WTB. this forum is full of hard core collectors that with sell you a firearm your looking for. but only if they know you re looking. AGAIN know your seller, do your due diligence....FNC

just because you know them or have done a deal with them before, don't mean. 1. you have there number. 2. WTB signals folks your looking for something, and alerts them to if there willing to part with theres. bottom line! do your due diligence! WTB brings out the scum bags, Yes! will it stop my from asking for something im wishing to buy. hell no!!!

Because then you invite scammers. It's a documented issue.
don't capitulate to the scum bags, that makes them a winner. due your due diligence and beat the scum...its really not hard thing to do. as last resort, (on a high end deal) only agree to shipp FFL to FFL. verify the shipping FFL. call him...verifying the gun...no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the seller agrees to the FFL to FFL shipment. - First get the FFL name and FFL number or at least the address and phone number. Then google the address to see if it's legit. If so, call and ask if they know this person. Also, if FFL is legit, tell the seller you will send payment, in care of the shipping FFL, when the shipping FFL acknowledges that he has the item in hand. When the FFL receives the payment he then ships the firearm to your FFL.

But there are probably thousands of "if/then" scenarios that can be done to scam you and thousands for a person to TRY to not be scammed.

If the seller agrees to the FFL to FFL shipment. - First get the FFL name and FFL number or at least the address and phone number. Then google the address to see if it's legit. If so, call and ask if they know this person. Also, if FFL is legit, tell the seller you will send payment, in care of the shipping FFL, when the shipping FFL acknowledges that he has the item in hand. When the FFL receives the payment he then ships the firearm to your FFL.

But there are probably thousands of "if/then" scenarios that can be done to scam you and thousands for a person to TRY to not be scammed.
bingo...that's whats due diligence looks like!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
don't capitulate to the scum bags, that makes them a winner. due your due diligence and beat the scum...its really not hard thing to do. as last resort, (on a high end deal) only agree to shipp FFL to FFL. verify the shipping FFL. call him...verifying the gun...no brainer.
Sure. Now that changes the game and you're buying from an FFL. But a WTB on a National forum is still a bad idea.

Latest posts