warning Scammer among us "simmonburg"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
I don't see where that would have been helpful in this situation.
Your right in this instance..... BUT I actually had a instance where a person "Hacked" into my bank account, (weak password) had all the information they needed, changed my address and phone #, bought a computer in California using my CC card #, had it shipped to a Coffee County Tenn. address ($721.00). I googled that address and it even showed a parked car there. (Probably an old pic.). They even bought a cell phone in Georgia that had the "new" #. . I called the Coffee County Tenn. sheriff's office and reported everything I knew, They said they would look into this???. (Iast I ever heard from them)..... THAT'S not all!!... About a month later I get 2 credit cards in my name and a unknown female's name.. (I was the guarantee/payer from a Chase bank account (I don't bank there)... LUCKILY, Chase sent those cards to my listed address ... OUT of curiosity, I used that female's name and looked it up in Coffee County addresses.. YUP, a property owner one had that name. I learned a lesson, but my CC still gets hacked now and then. Best you can do, I get instant notifications when my CC is used, strong password. Sometime hackers will buy a $1.00 item to see if it goes thru. These people are SMART!!... Makes you wonder if law enforcement can/does anything??. Most of this transpired in a few day's time.

john14_18

Bearcat
My FFL lets me keep a copy of his license in pdf format. One thing I always do, which my FFL suggested years ago, is before sending payment, ask the seller which FFL does he ship his guns with. and his contact there so you can send them a copy of the FFL. That way you can contact the FFL to see if they are familiar with the seller. This won't always guarantee he will ship it but will give you an idea if he is legit. He also suggested never send a copy of the FFL to an individual.

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
Dealing with a new one now. Claims to be a Doctor in Colorado. Won't give his State Medical license #.. Sent pics of a expired driver's license? (Shows it was issued in 2018 and expired in 2014??? . Did have a correct home address BUT not in his name. Won't ship FFL x FFL. Also pics of the revolver BUT serial #'s were not the same as the # he sent me.... Maybe he is legit but I'm not sending a M.O. to him. Asked for a voter registration w/ his name on it AND place of employment ... (At least I could see if he is real)

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
↑ I simply don't have the words...
It gets worse.... Stay tuned in the nest few days/week... Very intricate trail/tail they weave. I'm pretty sure he/she used a vacant house in the Coffee County Tenn. scam as a drop box... You ever get those CC offers in the mail? Once they had into my Bank account they were QUICK to exploit it. .. SAD thing, seems I was more concerned than anyone else? Mike

Just a word about contacting every law enforcement agency listed in the phone book. This type of case takes a Det. or investigator. When you talk to that person he or she should tell you they will send their report or call etc.. everyone else who needs to know or create a case. At my past desk, I would contact any of the above and ask if they would want the case. Many times feds want a local case started 1st. But you never know till you contact them. After many years I and we learned what cases other agencies would take and what they wanted others to do for them. My opinion the ATF would be the agency the locals would deal with.

gcf

Bearcat
contact officer listed above, send copy of cancelation of check. and copy of your ID and your phone number. they already been to his house. 78 turkey creek rd. mom and dad's home. he works for the school district. but lives there. FNC
Wonder if mom & dad know what sonny boy has been up to. Hate to see the old folks get shook up, but he is bringing heat down on them.

daka

Bearcat
I have been looking for a Smith and Wesson CS 9 (Chiefs Special)
So far 10 scams have been tried on me some of these morons even sent the same pictures and description.
There are always a few other red flags...
The problem is how to send money and be sure that the gun is shipped, there has to be a way, ??

I doubt that there is any sure fire way to avoid a scam, other than not buying from individuals over the internet, or phone. Anyone with a camera can falsely claim to own an object and offer it for sale. And if the scammer lives in one of those places that thinks criminals are the "real" victims of a racist society, nothing will happen even if he is caught. And forgive me for being more than skeptical about any Federal agency seriously going after a scam gun seller. Maybe the solution is to not send money, but to travel to the seller with cash in hand.

WTB threads on gun forums brings out the scammers in droves. Thoroughly vett, as much as possible, the seller. Ask a lot of questions, ask for specific things (pictures) that only the owner would have. An honest seller, especially for a high price gun or multiple guns is willing to do what you ask (if within reason). Ask for a phone number and talk to the person and ask questions that the seller will have to have the gun in hand to answer. If they give any kind of excuse why they don't have the gun handy, it's probably a scam.

I did this once for a specific GP100 I was buying, decent price, not low enough to trigger the gut reaction but still uncertain and wanted to make sure. Actually had several conversations (both email and a phone call) and he completely understood why I was cautious. He agreed to give it to his FFL and have his FFL call me to say he had it in hand and would ship when he got my FFL. We also set it up to have the USPS money order (made out to the seller) go to the FFL and the FFL would give it to the seller when he received the gun to ship to me. I had all the FFL's info so if it was a scam, the FFL would have been involved and the ATF would NOT turn a blind eye to that.

I'm in the business and a Ruger collector so I'm working with gun sellers and buyers pretty regularly and because of this I think I've developed the "gut instinct" for spotting a scam. If it doesn't seem right I do everything I can to either prove it's a scam or to prove it is a legit sale and so far I haven't been taken.

I have found that scammers don't want to answer many questions no matter how contacted, so if you ask for things, that are easily done, and they balk, it's probably a scam. If the scammer says they don't know how to do something via email, but they know how to post things for sale, especially with pictures, guess what?

Asking for signature required for a package doesn't do a thing to safeguard your money. You're sending money before they ship. They get your money - then thank you very much - goodbye - CLICK. You first have to be sure they actually have the item and then are going to ship the item when they get the payment.

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
You covered the correct way to do this..... I fully agree with you. I've had my CC card hacked several times. Only thing I could do was to set up "instant alerts" on it's usage, better than nothing.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
RoninPA has great advice and I'll add this.

If the price is to good to be true it is likely a scam. A Blackhawk Hunter for $720 when most are going for well over $1000 on Gunbroker? How did this price not raise any red flags? The only Hunter to sell for under $800 on Gunbroker lately is a beat up example.

And from a member who hasn't even been around for 6 months! He did participate enough to have an air of authenticity. But placing a few comments to look legit is a good way to get his scam to work.

Sadly law enforcement will likely not be able and especially willing to do much over this scam.

Caveat emptor

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
It is unfortunate and I hope everybody who's been ripped off gets made whole. I've bought and sold lots of things on here and similar forums. If I "know" the member, not in person but from the forum, I have no problem dealing with them. Strangers? Newbies? Doesn't smell right? I don't buy guns from them.

I know guns are crazy right now, everybody has a cheap bone in their body. That "gotta get a deal" cheap bone will get you in trouble. If it's too good to be true or your gut doesn't feel right, DO NOT PROCEED. A legit deal will come along.

On the other hand, I've mailed off parts before I had payment in hand. Hell, a couple of times I shipped guns before I had payment. But only to members I KNOW are good guys.

whisperingsmith

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info Far North Collector. I sent the Lieutenant a copy of my receipt and ID. In my case, I sent a USPS money order.