Used NM Blackhawk 45 Colt - strange ring inside barrel...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sasu

Single-Sixer
I am considering buying a used New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt, made circa 1992.

There is one but - a strange ring inside the barrel. It did not go away with light brushing, I did not have a chance to soak it for any time.

Any theories on what could have caused this ring and what it is? There is detectable bulge on the outside of the barrel. This ring is located approximately at the middle of the front sight.

NMBH45_barrel1_zpsklgqt35z.jpg

NMBH45_barrel2_zpszltvqiba.jpg

All advice greatly appreciated, and sarcastic jokes, too.

With what you described, it is the classic blocked barrel look. If there is a detectable bulge on the outside of the barrel then something was lodged in the barrel and another shot was fired before the obstruction was cleared. The 2nd shot cleared the barrel but not until the pressure behind the 2nd shot bulged the barrel. Worst case would be a barrel that looks like a peeled banana but the Ruger barrel strong enough that it didn't split and/or the blockage might not have been real bad but enough to do the damage.

Clean it good and shoot it and see how it shoots. If good, well then you can decide what you want to do. Maybe it will just be your shooter. If doesn't shoot good, then give Ruger a call to see what they will do for you (probably tell you to send it back to be rebarreled.)

sasu

Single-Sixer
I am in Europe so Ruger is of no help in this case. I have the opportunity to try the gun out.

Sad that you confirm my suspicion of barrel bulge. Used 45 Colt Blackhawks are rare around here but not so rare that I would buy a defective gun.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Not a practical idea to shorten a 4 5/8" barrel. Getting a new barrel from the US is also not practical.

As it seems the ring is a bulge in the barrel, it is best to leave the gun in the shop and keep looking for a better specimen, or special order a new one.

pisgah

Buckeye
If you have a chance to try before you buy, then try it. Often a small bulge affects nothing at all.

sasu

Single-Sixer
I googled for "bulged barrel" and saw rings exactly like the one I posted in this thread.

I will try out this bulged gun and if it is accurate I will buy it only for a very low price. Otherwise I will keep on looking. We are also lucky to have Uberti here in Europe, their prices are very reasonable compared to American steel. I already have two 45 Colt Ubertis waiting in a shop for me to pick them up.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
sasu said:
Not a practical idea to shorten a 4 5/8" barrel. Getting a new barrel from the US is also not practical.

As it seems the ring is a bulge in the barrel, it is best to leave the gun in the shop and keep looking for a better specimen, or special order a new one.

I think you have answered your own question. Due to your location and your circumstances I would walk away from that gun. Also realize that re-sale value would be very low on a gun that had a bore obstruction due to a squib.

What country in Europe?

To the gun however, if you have a good gunsmith, is it possible to have a new barrel made? Just curious because you said it would be hard to have a barrel delivered from the states. Or maybe have a smaller caliber barrel bored out for the 45.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Any gunsmithing endeavor to correct the barrel would cost more than the value of such a gun.

Mus408

Hunter
Get some calipers or a micrometer and measure the OD of the barrel in several places to see if it is bulged.

Don Lovel

Hunter
That is from a squib being pushed out the barrel by the next round. Seen it happen twice, once on a Super BH and once on a Dan Wesson at Silhouette matches.
I would get the gun and rebarrel it if the price was low enough

PM9

Bearcat
Unless they are giving the Ruger away at a very, very low price I would go with the Uberti.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Maybe for $100-$200 it would be worth it if it still shoots fine. I just wonder what other potential damage there could be when the barrel has experienced such trauma.

There is no way to find a replacement barrel in Europe. New Blackhawks cost around $900 in Germany, thus there is no sense to spend hundreds of dollars repairing a used one.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
sasu,

Is there any thing preventing an individual in the US sending you a used barrel? I only have a couple of
.357 mag barrels ATT. I bet somebody on RF has a usable one.

A recently retired and well respected gunsmith Jim Stroh, looked at my old model Blackhawk in .30 carbine with a bulged barrel. He said "Don't need to replace barrel, just shoot it.".

SATCOM

sasu

Single-Sixer
I understand sending a barrel out of the US requires an export permit and if you send it without you are committing a felony.

It has gotten real hard in the past couple of decades. Silly paranoia. As though terrorists are ordering Ruger and S&W barrels and cylinders, 1911 barrels and slides, Sierra and Hornady bullets, Starline cases and similar components.

I hope Trump will cancel at least some of these export regulations on firearms, firearms parts and reloading components. There are not enough gun owners in Europe to support such a massive gun industry that we could be self sufficient in our hobbies.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Could you cut the barrel behind the ring and relocate without being in violation?

sasu

Single-Sixer
Too expensive to shorten the barrel because the front sight would have to be relocated.

One idea would be to machine the inside of the barrel to remove the lands all the way from the muzzle to a little past the bulge.

But what other damage to the gun may have been caused by the pressure peak in the barrel?

Aah, better to wait for another gun, or just order a new one. Anyway I look at this, fixing the gun costs so much that it is close to the price of a new gun. Sad to see a Blackhawk in such a state.

I had a Ruger MK10 that looked worse than that but shot fine. Problem was I just couldn't stand it that way so had to rebarrel it. If you can leave it alone it might be a good buy, otherwise pass on it.