USAF nukes Nevada

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Well sorta. No warhead. Tested the upgraded B-61/12 for accuracy. :D

This is a "dial a yield" bomb from .3kt to 350kt that can be delivered by most any fighter/attack plane. Internal guidance systems after release. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3154136/Air-force-drops-controversial-bomb-test-designed-update-nuclear-arsenal.html

2A5B7A0E00000578-0-image-a-34_1436391179219.jpg

xtratoy

Buckeye
I googled The lead phrase of the linked story "Air force drops dummy nuclear bomb" and didn't get one hit from any of the lamestream news sources here in the US. It is sad to know that if we want to know what is happening in the US we need to look at UK news sources. :?

pisgah

Buckeye
Pretty lame when I recall the good ol' days of 1958 when they dropped real ones on SC and GA... unintentionally, of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Bluff,_South_Carolina

Critch

Single-Sixer
I built nukes for the USAF from 1972-1976, the B-61 was a neat bomb, you hardly ever had to mess with it. I would love to have seen a real one go off..

stevemb

Hunter
I'm gonna stay waaay off up here in NE Ohio'er. You keep them toys waaaay off to the SW please ! It's nice when the cutting edge technology is ours, but some yrs down the line we sell it or a clinton leaves their phone or laptop out..ooops.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
stevemb said:
I'm gonna stay waaay off up here in NE Ohio'er. You keep them toys waaaay off to the SW please ! It's nice when the cutting edge technology is ours, but some yrs down the line we sell it or a clinton leaves their phone or laptop out..ooops.

Pretty sure there's a few hot nukes at Wright-Pat. :mrgreen:

stevemb

Hunter
Thanks for that happy thought Gunny ! Perry nuke plant 20 miles upwind, my usual worry.

stevemb

Hunter
Was aquainted with a guy that ran opfor drills at nuke plants, believe he lives in your 'hood now. Rented a home from a 'Nam era 101st vet that him and service buddy were on the security team at Perry nuke plant. Enough yrs have passed, info no longer current enough to worry. Was nice to know that security was taken seriously. Sadly, you risk arrest from homeland security when fishing whats known as the "bubble" off of Perry Ohio. Good smallmouth and walleye fishing there.

stevemb

Hunter
You are one of the people here, I absolutely know I'd enjoy spending time with.

bobski

Hunter
uh.....guys?

what happened to the 'i cant confirm nor deny the presense of nukes on or off this base' protocol?

gray hair effecting your memory?

in this info crazed world, did we forget about 'the need to know?'

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
bobski said:
uh.....guys?

what happened to the 'i cant confirm nor deny the presense of nukes on or off this base' protocol?

Oh, c'mon. You really think nobody but the US knows where, how many of each design, and exactly what yield they have? Google is your friend. :) http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/nuclear.htm and many other sites.

We built so many of those things in some miss guided idea..... keeping the Military Industrial Complex running and happy... that it is really frightening.... ironically it was Ike that warned the nation about this... but no one it seems paid him any attention... just an old war hero making waves.

ProfessorWes

Buckeye
bobski said:
uh.....guys?

"Need to know?" I'm less than a two-hour drive from Whiteman AFB, home of the B-2s. Everybody knows they've got a few B-61s and W-83s stashed on-site. :wink:

Critch

Single-Sixer
I remember years ago a farmer in Wyoming said to me, "They tell me those things, (our Minuteman IIIs) have atomic bombs on them?" I told him, "They're right, we ain't gonna throw rocks at them."

There's an airlift wing on Wright Pat, but no combat units that I know of. We have way less nukes now than we did in the Cold War. Probably a third less.

Nukes have to be updated just like anything else, even when they're just sitting in storage..there are all sorts of time-lifed components on them.

Latest posts