trying to find the perfect 327 load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

First of all, thanks for the help on the 9mm. I'm figuring out the accuracy on that caliber.

But the 327 has me a little confused. I've found a really accurate load. 7.1 grains of HS-6. This load is very accurate in my 8 shot Blackhawk. I took it out the other day and measured these shot groups. Around 2 inches at 25 yards.

BUT! I've got the older SP101 in .327 also (3 inch barrel). With this pistol, at 25 yards, the group must be around 12 inches. If I move in, to say 10 yards, the group is still 6 inches at best. Firing single action, taking my time, etc. What gives? I know the barrel is shorter, but not by much. The Blackhawk is 5 1/2 inch barrel. Plus the Blackhawk is a heavier gun. But, the groups in the SP101 are just terrible.

I'm going to load up some different 327, with different powder and try again on Sunday.

mikld

Blackhawk
Bullets (OD)? Barrel dimensions (groove diameter)? Not uncommon to have terrible accuracy from a particular load in one gun and excellent accuracy with the same load in another gun...

Hmmm... interesting. I do have some factory ammo. I'll try that out in the SP and see.

I went back through my field notes and saw that a few years ago I've had good results with W-296 powder and 327. I still have some I can load up and try.

Unrelated but close; I've got another SP101 in 38 Special.That particular gun shoots consistent with my other 357's. When shooting 38 Wadcutters. And I've found some good loads for that round through trial and error.

NikA

Buckeye
Barrel length is not related to accuracy, though the shorter sight radius might be causing you some issues. If you're convinced it's not your shooting technique causing the difference, I'd start looking at the cylinder throats and the barrel/frame interface for consistency and expected dimensions.

Johnnu2

Hunter
While not a similar gun, I did have a gone that shot groups that resembled shotgun patterns. Turned out that the cylinder had been cut with a bad cutter and the chambers were somewhat oblong... Go figure..!
J.

sixshot

Buckeye
It's a proven fact that those SP101's won't shoot in Texas, send that 327 up here to Idaho & I'll try my best to nurse it back to health. It might take me quite a while but I think I can get it done with some powder coated 116 gr gas checked HP's, sized .314" bullets & about 13.0 grs of H110. If that won't do it then 7.0 grs of Longshot will fix it for sure.
I won't charge you to take it off your hands & your worries will be over..........

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
As we often say, each gun is an animal all unto itself!

sixshot could probably fix things for sure. His "offer" is good,, but I guess you'll wish to fix it yourself!
:D :D :D

Ok, first off,, have you slugged the barrels in BOTH guns?
Have you PIN gauged the cylinders in both guns?
Have you matched the bullets to the guns yet?

I suspect not. If so,, it may point to why one shoots very well, while the other doesn't.

That's where I'd start.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Just an observation that has proved true for .32 magnum and .327 in my personal experience as well as a friend who has authored a few published gun articles over the years. Most .32 caliber loads we worked up over the past few years in our Rugers ( single sixes and sp-101s) were far more accurate with faster powders like 231 and red dot. Red dot was our best accuracy in all of personal guns (4) with 85 grain jacketed and 100 gr. cast. We tried I think 10 different powders across the spectrum of speeds separately and got similar results. Red dot loads were just tight. Surprisingly so to me as I never use that powder. When we compared notes he had the same experience. 231 powder was close and all others were noticeably worse. Some powders in the test were Unique, Herco, Alcan AL7(obsolete), Nitro 100, Green dot?, H110 and one of the VhitaVouri powders maybe? Sorry to ramble- no point to all this except that Red dot is THE go to powder for .32 caliber pistols in my experience.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/32-h-r-magnum-pet-loads
If the above link to a Brian Pearce pet loads article works he should give enough info to keep you busy a while!

dixie884

Blackhawk
sixshot said:
It's a proven fact that those SP101's won't shoot in Texas, send that 327 up here to Idaho & I'll try my best to nurse it back to health. It might take me quite a while but I think I can get it done with some powder coated 116 gr gas checked HP's, sized .314" bullets & about 13.0 grs of H110. If that won't do it then 7.0 grs of Longshot will fix it for sure.
I won't charge you to take it off your hands & your worries will be over..........

Dick

You are a good friend. I'm sure this will take a huge weight from his mind........

Rclark

Hunter
Red dot is THE go to powder for .32 caliber pistols
My experience is that Red Dot is a good powder for .32 H&R. I like it. But I moved to AA#2 (also a fast powder) as it flows much better through my powder measure, therefore more consistent over the chrono as well as being accurate. This was for the light 78g bullets. For 100g and 115g I like AA#5 and True Blue. Again consistent and accurate! As above, I tested quite a few powders, but these turned in results that work for me. Velocities for my favorite loads were around 1100fps regardless of bullet weight.