The New Vaquero will take +P 45 Loads per Ruger(do not try)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

No, TJB, you don't HAVE to do anything at all. You can do whatever you like. It's your gun and your decision . . . and your responsibility.

Please note that this discussion was initially directed at the Ruger Blackhawks. Ruger recommends only SAAMI ammo.

If the Freedom Arms people say it's OK to use ammo exceeding SAAMI specs in their fine guns (which I'm pretty certain they do) then you should feel free to do it to your heart's content. I certainly would.

Very best wishes for happy shooting.

:D

NewVaquero

Bearcat
i think this whole thing is hilarious. i havent been on myself because i think that alot of this is horse chit. i know exactly what ruger,via email and on the telephone, AND what CCI told me about the proof testing of the NEW MODEL SMALLER FRAMED vaquero 45 colt, and i know what ive been shooting thru mine without any problems whatsoever.

i also called ruger again myself and spend another hour on the phone speaking to one of the ruger reps. the guy i spoke t this time was a little more canidi, and told me that he HIMSELF shoots loads thru his new model vaquero that far exceed the 14,000CUP range quite often, and has been since the new model smaller vaquero came out on the market. also, i dont know who said that the new model vaquero smkaller framed guns were proof tested at something just over 21,000, but thats horse chit to. CCI themselves told me that that specific gun is proof tested WAY above 21,000+ cup.

as of yesterday ive got over 1800 rounds thru my new model (smaller framed) 45 colt vaquero that are WAY above 14,000CUP with NO DAMAGE OR ILL EFFECTS on the gun whatsoever,everything mics exactly the same as it did when it was brand spanking new out of the box, and the gun is still tight as a drum.

i find it funny that you read all of this "oh, no, dont go above this or that" and spout all of these "facts and figures" and the old standby "there was this guy one time" crud, then there are guys like me ( and alot of others) that exceed the 14,000 mark by quite a bit everyday and have no difficulties and no damage.

its not a matter of trying to turn the 45 colt into a magnum gun. its a matter of wanting something a bit more stout than the old anemic 14,000cup factory cowboy loads.

ill stick with what im doing thanks. it doesn't do a bit of good to argue with guys that think there the absolute authority on a subject when you know different.ive been reloading for over 30 years, and you know, in that time ive never had a gun KB on me,never twisted any up, or even bulged a cylinder. i wonder why that is ???....for the last 15-18 years, i have been shooting an average of 5 days a week, and reload almost every day for one caliber or another, but yet, even though ive been known to stoke things up on occasion, ive never had an issue....thats because i do my research, and like ive said before, if nothing else, ill call and speak t the factory in length and get there take.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NewVaquero":1nxwbnam said:
i dont know who said that the new model vaquero smkaller framed guns were proof tested at something just over 21,000, but thats horse chit to. CCI themselves told me that that specific gun is proof tested WAY above 21,000+ cup.

Hi,

Well, I'm getting old and grouchy, and I've watched guys w/ attitudes like this blow stuff up for 40+ yrs cuz they "knew more" than the people who make the guns (they must pour these clowns outta molds!) Some of this probably colors my attitude toward many things.

Ruger makes the gun. The gentleman--Coffee Pot--who gave us proof pressures for the guns worked for Ruger for many years and has professional experience, knowledge of and access to proprietary info the rest of us will never see. They say "Don't do..."

CCI makes primers and some ammo. I haven't yet seen any of those Rugers THEY make! They say "It's ok to..."

Who ya gonna believe?

Seems about time to forget for a moment the few manners my Mama tried to teach me that actually stuck and call BS on this nonsense.

Rick C

Texas Jack Black

Single-Sixer
Many said the same about Elmer Keith Now he is considered a God .John Limbaugh was laughed at when he first said the Ruger 45 could handle loads in the 30,000 range .
I also will stand behind my 40 plus years of shooting Rugers ,Colts ETC. and say that the 14,000 number was intended for OLD COLTS and EARLY ITALIAN .soft metal guns.

NewVaquero

Bearcat
coffee pot says he worked for ruger for years. you know this for a fact?......i guess youve known him personally for years, and have been around to visit him at the ruger factory or at least speak to him via the telephone or in person there. furthermore, im guessing that he was there and involved in the conception,design and manufacture of the new model smaller framed ruger vaquero 45 colt. if so, i guess that he already knows that ruger proof tests the smaller new model ruger vaquero 45 colt at OVER 60,000 cup. you say he WORKED for them (ruger) for years, and that he has access to proprietary information. if in fact he did work there, im assuming that because he supposedly knows so much about the ruger new model smaller 45 colt because he was involved in the development of the firearm? if i were him, and he really did used to work for ruger (which how do you know for certain?...you ever seen a pay stub in his name from ruger or do you just have his word?...hell online, a person could say they walked on the moon, and you have nothing but there word), id bet that some were in all of the paperwork he signed for them when either he was fired/quit/retired (or whatever the circumstances were) that he most likely signed a NON-DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT of some sort at one time or another, meaning that if i were him id be really careful about spreading this so called "proprietary information" around. i would also surmise that hes aware of the fact that CCI/federal/speer have made proof rounds for ruger, and because of that, id say it was a pretty safe bet to assume that they could intelligently state what pressures the gun will handle (ATK owns a whole slew of major brand companies in the shooting industry,including RCBS. i used to work for them. if you purchased a rock chucker press from the early 90s theu 2000 i most likely did the machine work on it and got it ready for assembly).

now, as i stated before, i dont assume anything when it comes to firearms, and i dont assume i know more than the factory. thats why I TAKE THE TIME TO GATHER INFORMATION AND SPEAK TO THE FACTORY P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L-L-Y. i never said i knew more than the factory, and ive never suggested that anyone should do as i do. ive presented an email i got from them, and since i got involved with this thread, ive spoken to them about the 45 colt new model smaller vaquero 45 colt on several more occasions just to double and triple check the info i got from them before as i generally dont open my mouth unless i can back up what i say, and everyone there ive spoken to gives me the exact same info.

the new model smaller version of the ruger vaquero in 45 colt will handle all factory assembled ammunition on the market, including +P and +P+. any customer service agent will tell you that.they will also tell you that the only factory made ammunition they dont recommend is the buffalo bore 300gr as it is way to hot. also, looking to the direction of common sense,with all of the higher pressure ammunition on the market that they would put some sort of warning in there manual stating that the gun was not rated for higher pressure ammunition,if nothing else, to cover there own rear end just in case. i have personally fired loads in my new model 45 colt vaquero that far exceeds any factory made ammunition, and my gun is still as new,tight as a drum and accurate as hell. like i stated before,if i wanted to shoot a gun at 44 mag pressures, id go over to the safe and pull one out. my whole point in even opening my mouth on the subject was to relay the info i personally had acquired. ive ran some pretty darn hot stuff thru my gun, and have yet to see any major pressure signs. heck, ive never even had a case stick,nor a primer smear. common sense is the key in any situation.

one thing id like to know. if so many new model ruger vaquero 45s have exploded due to overpressure, where are all of the verifiable reports and photographs? without verifiable info i take the majorirty of that sort of stuff with a grain of salt. ive never seen one single photo of a new model ruger vaquero 45 colt that was exploded due to over pressures, and even if there were some, how does a person know unless they send it back to the factory for diagnostics and repair what caused the damage anyway?.heck someone could have double or tripled a charge, the gun could have been factory defective,etc. quite the contrary , when i asked the factory how many they had gotten back for repair because of high pressure damage, i was told that they had received very darn few back.

as ive said before, you do what you want,and ill do what i want. i sure appreciate your concerns over my good health and your concerns over the health of my gun "father", but i think this old boy can really figure things out for him self

Rclark

Hunter
NewVaquero,

Soapbox.... You know, it would be much more enjoyable reading your posts, if you would use capitalize properly and use the apostrophe key where necessary. It isn't really that tough :) . I assume you know that 'i' should be 'I' . Off soapbox...

As far as the argument is concerned, use your own judgment. There is no need to point fingers as we all have our own opinions and conclusions.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
While I think that NewVaquero is wasting a lot of oxygen with his posts (especially since the Ruger NM Blackhawk starts to spontaneously dissassembly at ~60,000 CUP), Handloader magazine did publish a few 45 Colt loads for the New Vaquero at 25,000 psi.

From Mr. Linebaugh http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/d ... e_myth.htm

To check our findings we again turned to H.P White Labs and their findings paralleled ours. Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt caliber were destroyed in controlled test conditions at approximately 60,000 CUP pressure levels.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NewVaquero":2wa95imm said:
(ATK owns a whole slew of major brand companies in the shooting industry,including RCBS. i used to work for them. if you purchased a rock chucker press from the early 90s theu 2000 i most likely did the machine work on it and got it ready for assembly).

Hi,

Using your OWN comments about Coffee Pot and "proof" of his credibility, we know YOUR comments about your own to be true HOW?

Discussion over.

Rick C

tek4260

Buckeye
Still haven't found my 1000 fps load using a 255gr lead bullet. That's where this all started from. :lol: :lol:

I found some Colt safe loads from Taffin, but no one will say if they are safe....... :roll:

NewVaquero

Bearcat
hahaha!

i really dont care if you believe me or not. im not on here claiming to have worked for ruger, and giving technical information out online under those pretenses.

as far as wasting oxygen, all i can do is report what im told. i dont care what you believe.

tek4260
a 255gr hornady LRNFP and 9 grains of universal in a magtech case with large magnum pistol primer will give you about 1100 as shown on my
Competition Electronics ProChrono. that is my practice load in my NMV 45 colt

and yes, i know my capitalization and punctuation is terrible. i type so fast i dont even think about it.

drew76

Bearcat
New Vaquero
coffee pot says he worked for ruger for years. you know this for a fact?......
if i were him, and he really did used to work for ruger (which how do you know for certain?...you ever seen a pay stub in his name from ruger or do you just have his word?...hell online, a person could say they walked on the moon, and you have nothing but there word),

(ATK owns a whole slew of major brand companies in the shooting industry,including RCBS. i used to work for them. if you purchased a rock chucker press from the early 90s theu 2000 i most likely did the machine work on it and got it ready for assembly).

Perhaps post a copy of your paystub?
:D

Did you also walk on the moon?

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
tek4260":20pbt66j said:
Still haven't found my 1000 fps load using a 255gr lead bullet. That's where this all started from. :lol: :lol:

I found some Colt safe loads from Taffin, but no one will say if they are safe....... :roll:

Here's a couple that I like...

The first is a SAAMI spec load that could be turned up gradually to get where you want to go. Both are from http://data.hodgdon.com. HS6 is a perfect powder for this application:

250 GR. CAST LRNFP Hodgdon HS-6 .452" 1.600" 9.0 787 7,800 CUP 10.5 946 13,300 CUP

The second is in the 25,000 psi range that Handloader magazine was brave enough to publish. It is a favorite of mine in MY Blackhawk, easy shooting, but a bit dirty though. Use in a NV at your own risk:

250 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H4227 .452" 1.600" 20.0 1150 23,500 CUP 24.6 1343 30,300 CUP

^^^NOte: Only use the start load of 20 gr in a NV if at all^^^

joedapro

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag":2di2e9fl said:
quote> All of our firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAMMI Spec. including the +P end quote

That is the key. There are no SAMMI 45colt+P loads.

...just my opinion, Jimbo

jimbo can read. the response was a generic response. it did not answer the question presented. the true answer to the question would have required a #.

tek4260

Buckeye
Well, I loaded a few 260gr Keith's with Universal and tried them out in my 4 5/8 New Vaquero. 8.0, 8.5, and 9.0 grains with CCI Magnum primers. At 8.0 accuracy was good, but it shot a little high at 35 yards. With 8.5 it shot to POA and shots were touching when I did my part. Checked for leading and there was none. Primers were not flattened in the least. Tried the 9.0 gr load and accuracy was poor. Primers were not flattened, but I could see marks from the bushing, where before, they were perfectly smooth. After 6 shots, there was bad leading around the forcing cone and along the rifling all the way to the end of the barrel. Spent about 2 hours cleaning with Hoppes #9. Finally gave up and the Chore Boy copper pads out. After about 3 passes there was no lead.
Think I'll stick to the 8.5 load. I'll check the MV and report back later. This load is above MAX, use at your own risk!

63November

Single-Sixer
flatgate":3834swkd said:
Coffee Pot,

Boy, oh Boy, don't surf over to Linebaugh's or Taffin's loading data or even think about taking a peek at the .45 Colt pages in Hogdgon's Data Manual #26!

I guess me and a couple thousand of my friends are really lucky.....but I've yet to hear of any trouble occurring using "properly" assembled loads from the above sources.

Here's a "cut and paste"
325 GR. CPB LFN PB Hodgdon H4227 .452" 1.680" 20.0 1053 22,300 CUP 23.0 1189 28,000 CUP
325 GR. CPB LFN PB Hodgdon H110 .452" 1.680" 21.0 1109 18,100 CUP 24.0 1266 27,400 CUP
325 GR. CPB LFN PB Hodgdon Lil'Gun .452" 1.680" 17.0 1061 20,700 CUP 20.5 1235 29,700 CUP
335 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon H4227 .452" 1.680" 20.0 1011 21,100 CUP 22.5C 1155 28,300 CUP
335 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon H110 .452" 1.680" 20.5 1109 19,200 CUP 23.5 1240 28,000 CUP
335 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon Lil'Gun .452" 1.680" 17.0 1052 20,100 CUP 20.0 1206 29,600 CUP
360 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon H4227 .452" 1.680" 19.5 1004 21,100 CUP 22.0C 1167 29,800 CUP
360 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon H110 .452" 1.680" 18.0 1012 20,200 CUP 21.0 1151 28,300 CUP
360 GR. CPB LFN GC Hodgdon Lil'Gun .452" 1.680" 15.5 984 22,400 CUP 18.0 1131 29,700 CUP

The underlined bullet is my favorite. I routinely load 22.0 gr. of the listed propellent. Am I truthfully playing with fire here?

Here's the tool of choice..
52725233.jpg

flatgate

Your favorite is virtually my load as well. I use W296 instead with my own cast 300 nominal, 320 actual RCBS lead gas checked bullets. It would probably be easier to measure the quantity of them in pounds that I've run interchangeably through my Redhawk, Blackhawk, and Win M94 than to give a round count. I would not run this load in lesser guns nor do I advocate that others use them in their Colts of any version. I do trust what I've learned from Pearce, Barsness, Taffin and others however, based on the fact that they have not led me wrong in what I've read from them so far. I also agree generally with the concept of staying well inside, not at the fringes of a gun's, engine's, etc's potential in terms of getting long working life. My take is that the stronger Colt chambered guns have increased the potential for this, but that is my own decision to make even though I have used others' views in coming to this conclusion. I further, though the Colt can do similar things to what the 44 Mag will and at lesser pressures, do not load it to pressures for which it's smaller cousin is designed to handle.

But this thread was started on the basis of a weaker Ruger design which should not be confused with what stronger arms can take. When dealing with things which operate at very high pressures it never hurts anything to err on the side of conservative cautions.

Wow, I am new here and this is my first post! But I can't resist as this is my forte, as I have been shooting RUGERS--single actions mainly in any caliber you can imagine, and most double action Rugers also, it started back in the mid 70's when I got in to metallic silhouette, yes these boys ruined some guns!!! Not me, I did a lot of study and listening, and some of it from Ruger, I can recall more than once being told ( now I really can't tell you that's OK but off the record!!) YA!! It is very easy to see why they tell people to use only factory loads, I saw how some of guys would listen to Joe talk about the 320 gainers he shot in his .45 LC Blackhawk and then they would go try it in their ARMINUS!! WOW NOT GOOD!!!!

I also spent much of the last 20 years in bench rest and building guns no one makes, that's right wildcats! I have to understand that there are variables and lots of them, when I work up a load for one, and if I don't make the brass work up the load and pay attention to the details I can't shoot it!! I was also pushing 330 grain bullets out of my 7 1/2" LC Blackhawk in the 70's with stiff charges of 2400 back then, and it still does pretty good with the same loads today!! I understand that some guy's might not understand they can't dump as much bullseye in a case with the same weight bullet as he can 296, and if a .44 special is safe in a Super Redhawk DON'T make it safe in a Charter Arms Bulldog! but that is not how this mind boggling thread got started, YES the NEW SMALLER FRAMED VAQUERO IS DEFINETLY CAPABLE OF HOTTER LOADS than the original BLACK POWDER FRAMED COLT SAA, AND NO IT AIN'T NO BLACKHAWK, that ain't rocket science, but I understand why anyone who would argue the fact should refrain from trying to deviate from a loading manual, he@@ he probably shouldn't be loading period!!

There are many guns in the same caliber from manufacturer to manufacturer that are inferior from one to the other, that is for certain and it ain't no doubt to restrict the loads of one to the other completely destroys why most of us reload to begin with, which in my case is (consistency, accuracy, and EFFICENCY!), WE ALL HAVE TO UNDERSTAND OUR ABILITY AND capability, and that ain't something you learn without a lot of dedication, research, attention, experience and understanding!! That is why I reload and love it!

I hope I ain't steppin on toes here and respect everyone's opinion, but No way are guns people!!!! "THEY AIN'T ALL CREATED EQUAL"!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. hope my grammar is OK,,,, if not I see they let you know!!! HA HA

Knuckles

Buckeye
Jimbo357mag":f2dbwjuj said:
quote> All of our firearms are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAMMI Spec. including the +P end quote

That is the key. There are no SAMMI 45colt+P loads.

...just my opinion, Jimbo

Bingo!
:wink:

JohnnyRingo

Bearcat
pretty in depth discussion.

one thing i might add to it though, even though many do not recommend it, i to have fired what would be considered "+P" and what most might consider to be "+P+" in my new model vaquero 45 colt in 5.5". the potential "+P" loads were fired by accident, and then after realizing that everything was still good and tight, on a whim i fired the others. i wouldn't consider doing it on a regular basis though as i have to many old model vaqueros to have to worry about possibly destroying one of my new model guns. i do, for the most part load my cowboy loads a bit warmer than normal i guess, but have never had any problems. my empties ,even with the warmer loads have never stuck and have always pretty much dropped free.

to aleveate any confusion in the future though, i ordered myself 500 nickel plated cases to use just for my old model 45 vaqueros with hotter loads. that way i can identify them at first glance right away and dont have any potentially hazardous mistakes!

besides, i like the looks of my highly polished vaqueros with ivory grips in black leather,with nickel buckles and nickel cartridges in the loops....reminds me of the Lone Ranger!...just wish i had some silver bullets!

its funny how ruger calls there stainless vaqueros "high polished", when there not. when i sent one of my old models in to have some work done on it, i requested that they do a high polish on it, and they broke it down and polished it literally like a mirror. , then i put a custom new model high spur vaquero hammer on it, replaced the base pin with one that was turned down custom for me ( making it removable like the new models),freespin pawl,genuine ivory grips,ect....now it is one of the nicest looking and shooting old models ive ever owned.....i went to take some picturesof it to post and my cameras batteries were dead. ill post some later.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
JohnnyRingo":92fuj30j said:
its funny how ruger calls there stainless vaqueros "high polished", when there not. when i sent one of my old models in to have some work done on it, i requested that they do a high polish on it...now it is one of the nicest looking and shooting old models ive ever owned

Hi,

Ya got me confused on what I'm 'sposed to be looking for when the pictures come: an "old model" or a Vaquero. But definitely not a New Vaquero?

Someone please correct any misconceptions I have here:

"Old Model" = original Blackhawk, w/ three screws thru the frame, marked on frame "Blackhawk" ("Old Model" being common usage to describe the "original" BH series--it's not stamped anywhere. Sometimes also commonly referred to as "3 screw") Came from the factory w/o transfer bar mechanism; may have been "converted" to the t/b at the factory

"New Model" = New Model Blackhawk (NMBH), pins instead of screws, marked on frame "New Model Blackhawk". Came from the factory (edited to add:) w/ the transfer bar mechanism.

"Bisley" = variant of NMBH, marked on frame "New Model Blackhawk"

"Vaquero" = variant of NMBH, marked on frame "New Model Blackhawk" (there is NO "Old Vaquero" either stamped or in common usage.)

"New Vaquero" = variant of NMBH, marked on frame "New Vaquero"

Old model, and these three variants of the New Model are built on the heavy frame, heavy cylinder blueprints. Reloading data listed as "Ruger Only" applies to these models.

New Vaquero is built on a lighter frame, lighter cylinder blueprint. Reloading data listed as "Ruger Only" does NOT apply to these models.

Have I got that right?

Makes it easier to know what one's talking about if we all use the same terminology... dunno if it warrants "sticky" treatment or not. If so, Super Blackhawk (and/or other?) definitions probably oughta be added by one of the mods?

Rick C