Powder question but not the usual question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I just bought7 lb of powder I believe it was 5 of them in the old round cardboard tubes. I can unscrew the cap and they are still sealed. Would require a knife or scissors to cut the top of to use. Would you think these will be ok, as in dry and good to use?

contender

Ruger Guru
I would say,, "Yes" in general.
But to make sure,, once you open the can,, do a "smell test." A foul acid like smell can point to contamination. Just don't confuse the small with normal gunpowder smell.
If I were to find older powder like that in a type I prefer,, I'd buy it w/o too much worry. Most often,, if it's been stored in a normal home or such,, it'll be just fine.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Years ago, I bought a 1 lb. canister of Unique that was so old, it came in an "antique looking", square canister that I had never seen in all my years of reloading. It smelled fine, I used the whole pound and then sold the canister (it apparently was a "collector's item"). I made my money back and then some :).
J.

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
I'm shooting Green Dot, Blue Dot and Herco given to me almost 20 years ago in cardboard tubes and so far it's shot fine in my limited use. It was partial tubes of each so opened/used. Not sure how old it is. While I normally don't trust opened powder this way, it was from a trusted coworker/friend.

I have loaded most of these cans in the past 5 years. These are all late 50's and early 60's era.

I loaded a bunch of these back in the 80's and 90's, but will still buy, and have bought the same in recent year.

Most recent bargain was this vintage 4 pound can. Might last me awhile but at least I have it on hand and at a great price when I need it.