The New Vaquero will take +P 45 Loads per Ruger(do not try)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
NewVaquero":1kryxoik said:
i got a wild hair and decided to call ruger directly. firstly, i spoke to a gentlemen down there, but for the ife of me i cant remeber the guys name. we spent about 1/2 hour on the phone discussing the new model vaquero and what types of amunition can be fired in it. he said while ruger doesnt advocate the use of reloads in any of there firearms, that the new model vaquero is well suited to handle all regular factory loads,including +P AND +P+. i told him had read all of this stuff online saying that the gun couldnt handle those sort of pressures. re replied that rugers 45 proof loads were ABOVE 45 colt +P+ pressures, and he assured me that the new model vaquero can handle it.

The thing to remember is that PROOF loads are just that, PROOF loads. Its loaded hotter than typical factory loads, and is used only to test the firearm before shipping it out.

A proof load is NOT a common factory load that is available to the shooting public.

AND, I have NEVER seen a .45 LC +P or +P+ load, period.

If you want to shoot the hot stuff, get a Blackhawk! On second thought better not, you'd probably just want to try and hotrod it too. :roll:

tek4260

Buckeye
Ruger Packer":2i6t4oz0 said:
NewVaquero":2i6t4oz0 said:

l:

101_0548.jpg

I know it is probably not "technically" a +P, but if someone didn't know.........

This was the whole point of me starting this topic.

101_0549.jpg

And, if I took CorBon's advice and contacted Ruger, I probably would have got the same response as the others in this thread, stating that they would handle +P.

I know better, but some don't.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
tek4260":3cjonyll said:
Ruger Packer":3cjonyll said:
NewVaquero":3cjonyll said:

l:

101_0548.jpg

I know it is probably not "technically" a +P, but if someone didn't know.........

This was the whole point of me starting this topic.

And, if I took CorBon's advice and contacted Ruger, I probably would have got the same response as the others in this thread, stating that they would handle +P.

I know better, but some don't.

Ok, so go and shoot them in your NEW Vaquero and then come back and tell us about it..... be sure and take pictures of the gun.... before and after. 8)

For the record, I don't consider Corbon to be a "factory" load. Just high priced handloads.

tek4260

Buckeye
No thanks. Hottest thing my NV has shot is 5.5 gr of Trailboss w/255gr lead Hornadys, and that is the hottest thing it ever will shoot. I think the point I was trying to make never got across.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Oh come ON, someone on here HAS to have more money than sense! Please, take a NV out and shoot the CorBons through it and tell us what happens! :?:

comanche

Bearcat
My Vaquero (large frame) exploded shooting that very ammo
www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=47028

When I called Cor-Bon and talked with their Tech, the first thing he asked "Was it a New Vaquero? They are not equipped to handle our ammo". end quote.
This was straight from their department head.

Ruger's Service manager asked the same question first and when I explained that it was the full-sized Vaquero he told me that the Vaquero and Blackhawks should have no problem with that ammo but I should know that it wasn't approved for the New Vaquero.

I believe these gentlemen, knew of what they spoke.
Although, each did blame the other for my gun exploding.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Read you other thread. Sounds like it wasn't so much a problem with the ammo being too much, but either (1) an overcharge on the ammo {they do happen, nobody's perfect}, or (2) a flaw with the gun, something like you actually mention in your first post on the other thread.

I've shot a full box of 300gr +P Corbon through my Vaquero (probably the exact same as yours... or actually, no, mine was 4.625"), and a full box less 2 of 300gr +P Buffalo Bore, with nary a problem (except in my wrists; that stuff is STOUT). I'm now on a second box of CorBon, their 260gr. JHP.

In any case, that is straying from the topic of the New Vaquero. BTW, glad you got a new Bis Vaq.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I look at this subject in this way, the New Vaquero is a .45 Colt, use only .45 Colt data and enjoy a great handgun and cartridge. It probably will take higher pressures, but why do it. The .45 Colt will handle most of your handgun needs as is. If you need a gun to stop elephants, rhinos, and dinosaurs, get a .458 Win. or .460 weatherby.

The Blackhawk is a .45 Colt +P, if you want it to be. +P loads may work slightly better if you run into Bigfoot or Mothman. :wink:

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
+1 to Big Bubba. In spite of what I just posted, I fully believe that 45 Colt in standard loading will take care of 99% of ANYONE'S needs for a handgun, anywhere. IF and ONLY IF the shooter does HIS part.

Anyone that doubts that should read through the early parts of Keith's SIXGUNS again (or for the first time). A acquaintance/friend of his took 3 grizzlies with his 45 Colt stoked with BLACK POWDER, 2 of them already angry and charging. He place his shots well, and the black-powder powered 45 penetrated plenty deeply to do what was needed.

Actually, I think the third grizzly might have been taken with a rifle later. It was already running after the first two were killed, as I recall the story.

NewVaquero

Bearcat
ruger packer.

did you read anything in my post that said i was trying to hotrod anything? i have several large bore handguns if i want to shoot a hotrod (S&W 500, desert eagle 50, s&w 460,etc). i also own several old model vaqueros, 4 3 screw blackhawks,3 3 screw super blackhawk 44s, several old and newer single six, a couple of stainless hunters, 4 baby vaquero 32 H&R ( which is the best idea ruger ever had),not to mention all of the ruger rifles i own (7 old model and 3 new model mini 14s 223,2 7.62x39 mini 30s,2 6.8 SPC minis,several M77 and M77 MKII's,etc.over 120 ruger firearms in my own personal collection alone.). ive also got 17 years as a licensed firearms dealer and gunsmith, and 15 years as a licensed firearms instructor and licensed combat handgun instructor. not to impune your knowlege of firearms, but i know just a little about them.

my point was that you hear about all of this stuff online, and people recommend this or that, do this or dont do that, but yet where do they get there information? from ruger?...from john smith or john doe ,or from first hand knowlege?....certainly not from the manufacture ,especially when the manufacture is saying it will handle quite a bit more than the online community's will give it credit for.

DSCF1023.jpg

now, heres my new model vaquero. see, after 12 rounds of 240gr XTP sitting on 27+ grains of lilgun ( right off of hogdons website and there "ruger only" load data and loaded on the "hot" side of that..i used XTPs instead of sierra HPs), it is still in one piece,its not twisted,stretched ect. headspace is still the same, and it is solid as a rock. also, even though the new model vaquero is CLOSE to the same size of a colt SSA and its other clones, it is STILL bigger and has more "meat" so to speak in the areas that it counts.

as far as what the new model vaquero 45 colt can handle, i know what mine handled without issues, and what ruger told me personally.

when i can get ahold of them, i will call ruger back and speak t them again, and ill tape record the conversation and post it.

kooz

Blackhawk
I have owned several of the New Vaquero's and USFA's and load them to the 24-26K level with no issue, it is ridiculous to say that these guns should be held to a 14K ceiling. People just need to use some common sense loading these guns.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I have some info that may be helpful.

HANDLOADER Magazine #234 April 2005

Dave Scoville says; "For the mid-sized New Vaquero .45 Colt and S&W Model 25, maximum suggested loads are those listed in the STARTING LOADS from the Speer #13 manual for the Ruger Blackhawk. Colt reproductions, stick with loads listed for the Colt SAA."

"i also own several old model vaqueros"

"heres my new model vaquero"

Much of the confusion is related to comments such as this. There are NO Old Model Vaqueros . . . all Vaqueros are New Models. But there are Vaqueros and there are New Vaqueros, and they are so marked, plainly, on the left side of the frame.

The Vaqueros will most likely handle the hotter ammo, while the New Vaqueros should be loaded only with standard, SAAMI-rated .45 Colt ammo . . . no +P stuff.

I'm with flatgate on this . . . I think the confusion is either the result of total misinformation and unfamiliarity with the guns in question, or the result of folks stirring the pot just for the heck of it.

And yes, Ruger did a baaaad thing by using the "V" word on the smaller-framed guns.

JMHO

:D

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
[quote="Ale-8(1)

And yes, Ruger did a baaaad thing by using the "V" word on the smaller-framed guns.

JMHO

I have to agree. I can see where it causes confusion for some. These are some of the finest finished and put-together revolvers Ruger has made in my opinion, owning two of them. Just hope everyone would be careful with the loads.

NewVaquero

Bearcat
i do realize that the original vaquero isnt denoted as "old model vaquero". i only used that analogy to differentiate between the two.

"The Vaqueros will most likely handle the hotter ammo, while the New Vaqueros should be loaded only with standard, SAAMI-rated .45 Colt ammo . . . no +P stuff."

well you stick with that thinking if you like, thats you. i , personally, know better. after my original posts, i actually called ruger back, and spoke to someone named "chad" i think, who told me exactly what the original person i spoke to named" tina told me. he told me the gun would handle a whole lot more than it is given credit for, without any ill effects on the weapon. he told me that it would hande industry standard, PLUS, anything marked "+P", and/or "+P+"

he said that since the new model vaquero came out, there have been very few that have came back for repair,ect because of running hotter loads thu them. he did say that buffalo bore ammunition was out. he said that the buffalo bore ,even there plus P is loaded WAY above what would be considered +P . he also told me that buffalo bore has developed a couple of hotter loads that are safe in the new model vaquero.

" "For the mid-sized New Vaquero .45 Colt and S&W Model 25, maximum suggested loads are those listed in the STARTING LOADS from the Speer #13 manual for the Ruger Blackhawk. Colt reproductions, stick with loads listed for the Colt SAA.""

my question on this is this.i havent read the article, but im assuming that this guy is either and outdoor or gun writer?...also, where did he get HIS information?

to many people believe what they read online. ive always found that about 95% of the time people generally are only repeating what they heard elsewere .its like the old argument that 22 centerfires (I.E. 222,223,22-250,etc) are to small and lack the killing power to deer hunt with. personally, ive killed literally 100s of deer with 22 centerfires,one shot drops. you see these threads online where guys start spewing out all of this information on kinetic energy,bullet weight,etc,etc and state its virtually impossible to kill a deer with a 22 centerfire. when you ask them where they got there info, its always "well, john doe said that joe smith told him that his cousin had problems", but yet they never personally TRIED it. seems like the same thing in most cases when you start discussing the use of higher pressure rounds in the NMV. no one says, "well, i used such and such load, and it tweaked my gun and exploded" with any pictures, you always hear, "well, the guns scaled down and smaller than the original vaquero, so you cant shoot the higher pressured rounds thru it, industry standard colt loads only"...H-O-R-S-E S-H-I-T
i also spoke to buffalo bore , and they told me that yes, they have actually blown up the new model vaquero like a grenade, but only with the hottest stuff.

personally, im not nterested in hotrodding the 45 colt. if i want to shoot a hotrod handgun, ill pull out one of my 500's. my whole point is that alot of this rap is a perfect example of the dis-information that you can obtain online.

lets do this.

how many of you have ever blown up a new model vaquero and if so, lets see some pictures.

"i , personally, know better."

Good for you. We'll all be interested to see the results of your research.

"i havent read the article, but im assuming . . ."

I'm sure that'll get you good, reliable information.

:mrgreen:

comanche

Bearcat
I learned recently ( I had forgotten) that some people only hear or see, the things that they want to believe. They will read something, not very carefully and pick out the little parts that fit their delusion and not "get" the true meaning of the statement. Not sure if there is any help for these types of people.
Ruger builds a strong gun, and they are "proofed" over specifications.
I am sure the New Vaquero will shoot +P type 45colts.
HOWEVER, I spoke with the Head of Ruger's Technical and Service Department several times when my Vaquero grenaded and he specifically said that Cor-Bon's +P 45colt ammo was NOT approved for the New Vaquero.
But, what do I know, I still wear a condom for sex unless I've seen a medical report.

Texas Jack Black

Single-Sixer
I still can not believe that anyone still thinks that the SAAMI spec of 14,000 that was done in the early 1920's on an OLD 1st gen Colt is all that the modern Colts and the NV can handle yet these same people load their Rugers up into the 30,000 range even though Ruger says only to use factory ammo in the guns which would mean far lower pressures.
Looks like this is all lawyer driven .I listen to those who have been reloading and shooting for years with no problems .
My hunting load pushes a 255 SWC out of a Colt 2nd gen at 1000 fps with no ill effects and I have been shooting that gun with that load for 20 years. I push a 280 grain bullet out of my NV at 1150 with no problem Works in my guns but may not work in yours. Work up your loads and enjoy.Ruger does not approve the loads that Linbaugh suggests do they?so it is not a surprize to hear Ruger down play the pressures of the NV

T J B

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
NewVaquero":2po8sgac said:
i do realize that the original vaquero isnt denoted as "old model vaquero". i only used that analogy to differentiate between the two.

"The Vaqueros will most likely handle the hotter ammo, while the New Vaqueros should be loaded only with standard, SAAMI-rated .45 Colt ammo . . . no +P stuff."

well you stick with that thinking if you like, thats you. i , personally, know better. after my original posts, i actually called ruger back, and spoke to someone named "chad" i think, who told me exactly what the original person i spoke to named" tina told me. he told me the gun would handle a whole lot more than it is given credit for, without any ill effects on the weapon. he told me that it would hande industry standard, PLUS, anything marked "+P", and/or "+P+"

he said that since the new model vaquero came out, there have been very few that have came back for repair,ect because of running hotter loads thu them. he did say that buffalo bore ammunition was out. he said that the buffalo bore ,even there plus P is loaded WAY above what would be considered +P . he also told me that buffalo bore has developed a couple of hotter loads that are safe in the new model vaquero.

" "For the mid-sized New Vaquero .45 Colt and S&W Model 25, maximum suggested loads are those listed in the STARTING LOADS from the Speer #13 manual for the Ruger Blackhawk. Colt reproductions, stick with loads listed for the Colt SAA.""

my question on this is this.i havent read the article, but im assuming that this guy is either and outdoor or gun writer?...also, where did he get HIS information?

to many people believe what they read online. ive always found that about 95% of the time people generally are only repeating what they heard elsewere .its like the old argument that 22 centerfires (I.E. 222,223,22-250,etc) are to small and lack the killing power to deer hunt with. personally, ive killed literally 100s of deer with 22 centerfires,one shot drops. you see these threads online where guys start spewing out all of this information on kinetic energy,bullet weight,etc,etc and state its virtually impossible to kill a deer with a 22 centerfire. when you ask them where they got there info, its always "well, john doe said that joe smith told him that his cousin had problems", but yet they never personally TRIED it. seems like the same thing in most cases when you start discussing the use of higher pressure rounds in the NMV. no one says, "well, i used such and such load, and it tweaked my gun and exploded" with any pictures, you always hear, "well, the guns scaled down and smaller than the original vaquero, so you cant shoot the higher pressured rounds thru it, industry standard colt loads only"...H-O-R-S-E S-H-I-T
i also spoke to buffalo bore , and they told me that yes, they have actually blown up the new model vaquero like a grenade, but only with the hottest stuff.

personally, im not nterested in hotrodding the 45 colt. if i want to shoot a hotrod handgun, ill pull out one of my 500's. my whole point is that alot of this rap is a perfect example of the dis-information that you can obtain online.

lets do this.

how many of you have ever blown up a new model vaquero and if so, lets see some pictures.

Ahhh ummmm....... :roll:

NewVaquero

Bearcat
i emailed riger and posed the question t them , so i could get it in writing so t speak, just in case that something ever did happen. heres the response i got

Dear john XXXXXXXX ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 04/16/2009
Request No: XXXXXX

Comment / question:

i own a new model ruger vaquero in 45 colt. in doing some research on ammunition on the internet, ive found a lot of forums and such that say the new model vaquero will only physically and structurally handle nothing but the low end cowboy style ammunition (14,000 CUP). on the same note, there are places that sell ammunition marked "ruger and t/c only". i called the other day and a ruger employee named tina said it will handle +P and +P+ ammo. i just want to know what it will shoot so i dont blow it up.

Response:
All of our firearms including the New Model Vaquero are designed to handle all US Industry Standard Ammunition made to SAMMI Spec. including all +P and +P+. We do not however recommend the use of Buffalo Bore Ammunition in any of of the firearms we manufacture.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

so there ya have it, directly from the manufacturer . personally, all im worried about with mine is having some decent loads to practice with, and some higher end hollowpoints to carry when im in the woods,like the difference between 38 special and 357 magnum. i load milder loads up with either unique or titegroup and 255gr hornady cowboy LRNFP, and higher end loads with 240gr hornady XTP'S and either titegroup,H110 or lilgun. but as you can see, id rather hear it directly from the hoses mouth rather than rely on some ofthe info you read on the internet.