Survival guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgt

Buckeye
If I was going to carry a rifle and revolver for survival, my rifle would be the big bore my revolver would be the rimfire. In most pure survival cases a six inch 22 revolver would work very well for survival. The exception being having to survive in large bear country. I was only out for 28 days, my only weapon was a puma skinner. I could have lived quite well had I had my model seventeen. As it was, I could get within spear chunking range of deer but could have harvested them easily with the Smith & Wesson had I been able to bring it.

For a packable rimfire, I really like the Marlin 39TD. Accurate, less finicky than a semi-auto, and has a decent capacity. If I also have my 454 Alaskan on my side, I am capable of hunting- or defending against- anything that walks, crawls, or flies in North America.
View attachment 8233

I have a Marlin 39A Mountie that sits behind my recliner. Use it for varmints around the homestead. Thing is so accurate! And takes down for stowage.

IMG_6892.jpg
IMG_6893.jpg

"Survival" guns are a joke. Woods gun, hiking gun, what ever. A gun has one job and it does it best or it doesn't.

Lot's of different views on the subject - personally, I kind of like KYJim's "Rules of Carry", which I discovered somewhere on the internet many years ago:

1) Any gun is better than no gun.
2) A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not.
3) A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place.
4) A bigger hole is a better hole.

:)

40nascar

Banned
If I was going to carry a rifle and revolver for survival, my rifle would be the big bore my revolver would be the rimfire. In most pure survival cases a six inch 22 revolver would work very well for survival. The exception being having to survive in large bear country. I was only out for 28 days, my only weapon was a puma skinner. I could have lived quite well had I had my model seventeen. As it was, I could get within spear chunking range of deer but could have harvested them easily with the Smith & Wesson had I been able to bring it.

I would take the opposite logical approach. Rimfire .22 Ca. Rifle for scrounging small game ( added benefit of low noise) and stalking deer at close range, and my Colt King Cobra, or S&W 657 mountain gun for close range self defense ( by 4 legged or 2 legged aggressors). My rifle would be my pristine condition Remington Nylon 66. - No small mags to lose, and the internal feed tube is protected by the surrounding stock.

With good stalking skills, a .22 rifle with 40 gr. High performance ammo ( like CCI Velocitor) , can reliably be used to harvest deer within 40 yds.

By using the term " Survival guns", my assumption is that we are talking about firearms used primarily for hunting game in a wilderness environment, and not as a Military, or paramilitary type primary use. If that is the case, my choices would be quite different.

Last edited:

40nascar

Banned
P.S. A .22 rimfire revolver loses alot of power because of gas leakage around the cylinder gap. Turns a 22 Lr into a pop gun. IMHO, a .22 LR's primary purpose is as a trainer. I would never carry one for hunting or self defense purposes. A pistol? Maybe, but not a revolver.

hittman

Staff member
I'd probably add a 5.5 inch 41 Mag Redhawk for the hand gun. If I can't get it done with a hot 41 Mag round well ….. bad luck for me!

jgt

Buckeye
I could see a long gun in 22 rimfire if it was anything other than a semiauto. As far as a semiauto pistol, I would never consider one for survival gun. I would take a single shot contender with a center fire and rimfire barrel before any autoloading firearm. Until you have been there and done that you may not be able to understand. Survival is not the same as backpacking or a stroll in the woods. It is getting from point a to point b alive. One's energy level is at its lowest and the best tool for survival is between your ears. The equipment you choose should be tough, simple, and reliable. The best knife you can get, the best water filtration system you can get and the best fire making system you can implement. A firearm will be of little use if it is disabled due to being dirty or broken in some way. So KISS is the most useful approach. You will use the firearm or arms the least of all your equipment. Chose wisely and know it/them well.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
P.S. A .22 rimfire revolver loses alot of power because of gas leakage around the cylinder gap. Turns a 22 Lr into a pop gun. IMHO, a .22 LR's primary purpose is as a trainer. I would never carry one for hunting or self defense purposes. A pistol? Maybe, but not a revolver.
I've read a few tests where revolver velocity was close or in some cases higher than automatics. Of course the revolvers had gas loss at the cylinder gap, but the bullets in the automatics encountered the rifling earlier than the automatics so that resistance slowed the bullet slightly. Barrel length was found to have far more variance on velocity than automatic vs. revolver did. I think you'll find any difference between the two is negligible in the real world.

I could see a long gun in 22 rimfire if it was anything other than a semiauto. As far as a semiauto pistol, I would never consider one for survival gun. I would take a single shot contender with a center fire and rimfire barrel before any autoloading firearm. Until you have been there and done that you may not be able to understand. Survival is not the same as backpacking or a stroll in the woods. It is getting from point a to point b alive. One's energy level is at its lowest and the best tool for survival is between your ears. The equipment you choose should be tough, simple, and reliable. The best knife you can get, the best water filtration system you can get and the best fire making system you can implement. A firearm will be of little use if it is disabled due to being dirty or broken in some way. So KISS is the most useful approach. You will use the firearm or arms the least of all your equipment. Chose wisely and know it/them well.
Perhaps one of these simple designsView attachment 8280View attachment 8281

Last edited:

40nascar

Banned
Henry lever action .22LR.
Ruger GP100 .357
I think that will cover it.

I would pass on the Henry lever 22, at least the basic model. It uses plastic on at least one of its critical parts ( barrel band ). In a lever rimfire, I would prefer a Browning BL-22 or Winchester 94-22. As another poster has stated, reliability is key for a survival gun. The Golden Boy would be better than the basic model, but too flashy.

40nascar

Banned
Interesting personal choices. Mine would be the Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56 NATO with a 2.5X Leupold scope and my Ruger Security Six .357.

Question: Is your 5.56 choice the mini 14 semiauto? Or the American Ranch bolt action?

I would have gone with the mini 14, and Security 6, 30 years ago.

For paramilitary Survival kit today, I would tweek those choices to a Ruger Mini 30, and a Colt King Cobra Target model. Yes I love my built like a tank Security Six bull barrel, but it's weight is a little much for all day carry.

There is more than a bit of truth there. Survive what? Survive where? What are the terrain conditions, edible animals in the area and weather? So many variables.

True - I guess every gun owner automatically makes adjustments in size, caliber, cost, etc. to fit their own circumstances. It kind of reminds me of folks talking about a "truck gun"; you can bet that a Wyoming gun owner has a different definition than somebody who lives in northern Maine, or southern Louisiana. I remember talking with two gentlemen who wanted firearms to keep in their aircraft; one went with a stainless 10/22, the other a folding-stock .303 Lee Enfield carbine I had put together. Different people, different needs, different firearms...
:)

Latest posts