Survival guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buckaroo, I have no idea why you want to attack me. But, it makes me feel special. So far your assumed thoughts about me, where I live and how I live are 100% wrong. I won't assume anything about you and your life. It's foolish and makes people who print such things look like fools. I am betting you will feel the need to attack me some more, but I'm done. Play your game with others.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
Some thoughts to share.

If the world is going to Hell, I see no good reason to leave my house where I have all of my stuff. Any other place will probably have a lot of others milling about in desperation. How you decide to provide for your survival will focus on food, water, hygiene, heat etc. Guns will be but one very small part of what you will need to consider and deal with.

To come up with a scenario where picking out a gun for survival, you may think of being in a plane that went down on a hunting trip or similar where you are far away from civilization and need to survive. Use your imagination as it is a fun exercise. A good book about a boy with a hatchet in Alaska comes to mind. What most all of these scenarios will have in common is a need to survive with what you can carry as you make your way back to civilization. Please consider all you may want to have to carry, and in doing so, you may find you can only have one gun to do all you need. I guess if you are where Brown Bears live, you may want a shotgun as your first choice, some slugs and some bird shot would make sense. And a shotgun as an only gun for getting game and protection does make a lot of sense. If no lions and tigers and bears, oh my, you could also make do with a .22 and the way I shoot, it would need to be a rifle. On that note, I had a gunsmith line the barrel of a Remington 521T with a 1:8 twist liner. I can shoot the 60 gr. Aguila rounds accurately and those have enough sectional density to reliably pass through the lungs of a deer at reasonable ranges. That would be a comfort to have, light weight, reliable and adequate. Maybe an ultimate gun would be a .22 over .410 with the .22 barrel having the 1:8 twist.

buckaroo

Banned
If the world is going to Hell, I see no good reason to leave my house where I have all of my stuff. Any other place will probably have a lot of others milling about in desperation. How you decide to provide for your survival will focus on food, water, hygiene, heat etc. Guns will be but one very small part of what you will need to consider and deal with.

You got it right Mr. David ! Only ever leave if you absolutely have no choice. Your best line of defense will always be where you live. And if you have the resources stocked up you are good to go. Remember this as well some of the first people you'll most likely have to shoot first will be neighbors, family and so called friends. You get out on the road as they say and you might not even be able to trust yourself. :)

jgt

Buckeye
I see survival as being stranded in a wilderness or remote area and trying to return to civilization. The other things being discussed here as apocalyptic. That is totally different and much easier for me to prepare for since I have been working on that for some time now. I plan on staying put where I am and continuing to upgrade my prep as I have the means and opportunity.

This is what I keep in the lock box inside of my truck along with my get home bag. View attachment 8406View attachment 8405
Used to keep one of those until it turned out that the hole in the barrel seemed much too "small". Compared to its replacement.
H1W0FLw.jpg

Sniperfox

Bearcat
Used to keep one of those until it turned out that the hole in the barrel seemed much too "small". Compared to its replacement.
I had previously kept a 500 with a top folder in that box but since it's part of my get home kit, I switched to the .22 since it will fit in the side pocket of my get home bag. It doesn't stand out and if I'm just trying to get back to my crib, I figured grey man seemed the best way to go. My EDC is a G32 concealed.

Some thoughts to share.

That is so true. Most people are not prepared at all, but at least at home they make have things they can get by with. Most people aren't even prepared to be uncomfortable. Let the internet be off for a day and listen to people act like they are dying.

Although only a week or a few extra days of hardships was the hard freeze that hit February of last year. People wondering where they could go and trying to get them to understand the risk they were taking just driving through the snow and worse ice on the roads. Then where are they going to go? To a friend or family as if everybody else had not lost power, heat and water. To a hotel that would be full up and likely to be just as bad.

We spent several days before the storm settled getting ready. Checking out the sleeping bags, we have fine cold weather ones, bottled up a gallon of water a day per person since you never know what may happen and had foods ready to be eaten on the fly. Camp foods like summer sausage, cheese, crackers, things that we had cooked in advance to eat as finger foods off of paper plates since you may not have running water.

No running water then be prepared to go outside to yugo because no way you want to do such in the house since you can't flush it out. Your house will smell... well, plus you would be breathing in God knows what.

I see survival as being stranded in a wilderness or remote area and trying to return to civilization. The other things being discussed here as apocalyptic. That is totally different and much easier for me to prepare for since I have been working on that for some time now. I plan on staying put where I am and continuing to upgrade my prep as I have the means and opportunity.
Agreed on all counts. Hence, my choices. I guess I probably have a slight preference for the .22 / 410 over the AK-7, now that I think about it.

I would like t make a comment on those who won't leave. At times folks are told to get out for their own safety before disaster strikes. Now these usually natural disasters. Or told to leave after a natural disaster. But you have those who refuse to leave and in the end endanger the safety and health of the emergency workers who have to try and save them.

This behavior is the height of selfishness. If you're caught without any advance notice the emergency services folks will do anything humanly possible to save you. But if you stubbornly refuse to leave you should be left to fend for yourself without a single word of complaint or lawsuits by your survivors.

Many, many years ago I worked a fire in the San Bernadino National Forest. We went by a cabin and told the family to get out. They gave the typical response of haiving been through this before and refused to leave. When the fire reached them, we couldn't. They died, pretty horribly I imagine. Their survivors tried to sue the fire service for not getting them out. Everyone on the rig that went to warn them had to give a depositon. It basically said that we told them to go and they refused.

buckaroo

Banned
Your scenario has no bearing on the discussion at hand. However important we realize it may be. We are not talking about natural disasters and or your homeless arson and or lighting strikes.
We are talking a total break down of society, anarchy, and it can come in many forms. Be it political unrest or racial tensions as an example.
Your points are never the less duly noted, keep a low profile and remember to wear the silver arm band so we know not to shoot you.

Your scenario has no bearing on the discussion at hand. However important we realize it may be. We are not talking about natural disasters and or your homeless arson and or lighting strikes.
We are talking a total break down of society, anarchy, and it can come in many forms. Be it political unrest or racial tensions as an example.
Your points are never the less duly noted, keep a low profile and remember to wear the silver arm band so we know not to shoot you.
So far this thread has covered everything from EOTWAWKI to lost in the woods. The thread drift that occurs on sites, like this one, not controlled by net nazis' is what makes the exchange of ideas interesting.

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
Thee are all sorts of descriptions of what "survival" could mean. But in its basic sense of surviving in the wild (not government failure, apocalypse, invasion, or Zombie attack (lol)), I believe a compact 22 is best. Ammo is way cheaper, gun is relatively light, quite and compact. It will feed you and protect you.
Ie... Henry AR-7 (first choice) or Ruger 10/22 takedown.

buckaroo

Banned
Thee are all sorts of descriptions of what "survival" could mean. But in its basic sense of surviving in the wild (not government failure, apocalypse, invasion, or Zombie attack (lol)), I believe a compact 22 is best. Ammo is way cheaper, gun is relatively light, quite and compact. It will feed you and protect you.

That's why people pimp the .22, the guns are lite weight and you can carry a boat load of ammo.
The question is why are you in the woods in the first place surviving ?

Nothing has ever happen in America to drive people to the woods to survive. So while you may snicker, and no, zombies have never been mention in this discussion.
If you are under 60 you better get your sht together because your apocalypse is coming sooner than later and all man-made.

Get hip to this, Geocaching.
Some of the rabbits and squirrels you'll meet in the woods will scoff at your .22 as they attempt to take your game.
Yeah, carry your boat load of .22 but you better have some buckshot stashed somewhere and the gun to go along with it.

The French resistance didn't run to the woods like the wolverines. They understood that hiding in plain sight was the way to go. And they were among the most effective clandestine operations ever.

If the world isn't going your way you have but two choices. Fight or capitulate. If you truly intend to fight the enemy can supply you with weapons and ammo.

Heck, a fair amount of weapons, powder and shot used by American revolutionary fighters came from the British.

Latest posts