New survival rifle thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've got a Charter Arms AR7 I bought for our daughter when she was little. I think it was on sale for $39.99. And, I agree I hope Henry improved them. I've also got a ChiCom knockoff of the little Browning take down - $50 years ago and I still haven't shot it.
I had a Charter Arms version that grew feet. It worked fairly well but the Henry is better I think. Remember when James Bond shot down a helicopter with the original Armalite model in "To Russia With Love"?

RSIno1

Hunter
I had a Charter Arms version that grew feet. It worked fairly well but the Henry is better I think. Remember when James Bond shot down a helicopter with the original Armalite model in "To Russia With Love"?
Yes a friend had an Armalite one that worked pretty well which is why I bought the Charter Arms one. Who knew they could make a cheap gun even cheaper?

coach

Hunter
You can see the tiny "ramp" on the barrel. I wonder if a little work with a file or dremel 😳 might be worth a try.
Believe me I tried a lot of ammo in it. This was bought when you could walk into any store and buy 22 ammo.
IMG_7538.jpeg

You can see the tiny "ramp" on the barrel. I wonder if a little work with a file or dremel 😳 might be worth a try.
Believe me I tried a lot of ammo in it. This was bought when you could walk into any store and buy 22 ammo.
View attachment 31154
I see you have the silver version. Take a .30 caliber bullet (just the bullet part, not the entire cartridge) and put lapping compound on the tip. Use it in a slow speed drill and carefully open up the edge of the chamber. My friend made a tool to do it with but as I said earlier in the thread, he has dementia and his wife sold his stuff.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I've got a Charter Arms AR7 I bought for our daughter when she was little. I think it was on sale for $39.99. And, I agree I hope Henry improved them. I've also got a ChiCom knockoff of the little Browning take down - $50 years ago and I still haven't shot it.
My Norinco copy of the Browning is a straight shooter!

I see a "Survival" Rifle having 2 roles. Foraging and Defense. 22's have the advantage of light, compact ammo that a few thousand of would be packable but would be iffy for stopping power.
9mm ups the Anty on stopping power with the benefit of potential resupply off of the people you would be defending against. The same with 5.56. Of course the government is probably choosing to go with a whole new caliber to make that less of an issue for THEM. While shotguns are versatile the size and weight of the ammo is far from portable. If they can displace people they can separate them from anything they can't carry. No matter how well dug in and supplied you are if they can contaminate an area they can rapidly displace everyone with the clothes on their backs. We have so much to look forward to!!!

Look at the chamber and if it's round you have an earlier one. If there is a slight ramp at the bottom like this. The early Henry AR7's were made in Bayonne New Jersey and the current ones are made in Rice Lake Wisconsin. If you have the early barrel you can order a new one with the ramp or as a friend of mine who was a tool and die maker did, you can carefully relieve the mouth of the chamber by reaming it. He made a tool to do the job but he has since gotten dementia and his wife sold all of his stuff including guns and tools. View attachment 31114it's a newer model.
I just looked at mine and it has the ramp like yours. It is very reliable. I only had it a couple year and it's a Henry. I had one of the ones by charter arms years ago and it jamed so much I got rid of it.
20231011_103541.jpg

coach

Hunter
I see you have the silver version. Take a .30 caliber bullet (just the bullet part, not the entire cartridge) and put lapping compound on the tip. Use it in a slow speed drill and carefully open up the edge of the chamber. My friend made a tool to do it with but as I said earlier in the thread, he has dementia and his wife sold his stuff.
The 30 cal bullet with lapping compound sounds much better than taking a dremel to it. I'm not sure my largest drill will open up enough for the bullet, but I'll see. Sounds like a project to add to the list.

I just looked at mine and it has the ramp like yours. It is very reliable. I only had it a couple year and it's a Henry. I had one of the ones by charter arms years ago and it jamed so much I got rid of it.View attachment 31173
I know some people have clipped a couple of coils off of the recoil springs on an AR7 and it allows them to fire standard velocity .22 long rifle ammunition. Round nose solid points usually are more reliable in one than hollow points or truncated cone style ammo like a Remington Yellow Jacket. If you find that yours likes a particular brand, use it... the life you are protecting is your own

I recently won a Henry survival rifle. I shot it for the first time at the latest Gathering. It isn't Camp Perry material but it would easily put food on the table if needed. I might note that when firing every mechanical movement can be heard and felt.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
I've watched videos of the Florida Redneck Iguana Hunter that uses a large caliber air rifle to clear off the pests on golf courses.....

I'm not sure what the air rifle is..... but its really quiet and powerful enough to drop a big Iguana

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I had a Walther TPH .22 with the same problem.
Used some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and the end of a wood pencil to fix it. Wrap a little sandpaper and chamfer the chamber entrance. It does not take much to fix. Go slow.
My TPH kept hanging up at the 3:00 o'clock position. A few minutes work and never had the problem again.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
A decently set up sub 2000 would be effective for deer to hostile people!!!
That's my point. Three Glock 32 round mags full of 9X19 and a rifle that is light and folds in half...no need for assembly. Got a mag holder printed.

07-B59805-D639-4-FAB-AFC6-296-ADEEE5-B59.jpg

My 1951 39A "comes apart" easily but it's too nice to put under seat. And I would prefer 9mm over 22LR (usually).

ADBCB820-22-EB-4977-AA6-B-B497-D2744185.jpg

Latest posts