Sp101 and getting wet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sgtwillys

Bearcat
Greetings everyone.
New guy here.

I would like to ask a question about care for my SP101

I am planning on taking it Trout fishing with me using a belt holster. I have been wondering what should should be done if for some chance I slip and it gets drenched in the water.

I am thinking give it a good spray down with some WD-40 or some other water displacing fluid then give it a good cleaning when I get home.

Thoughts, comments or ideas?

Thanks
Tom

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A SP-101 is an excellent gun for packing around while fishing or just bumming around. I'd first have a secure holster so that if you do happen to slip & fall in,, it won't get lost. Next,, a LIGHT coat of good gun oil inside & out will help prevent rust issues. (Yes,, even the stainless guns can rust.) And if by chance you do happen to get wet,,, then a good disassembly and cleaning will be in order. It should be fine.

Hugh

Buckeye
Greetings, and welcome to the Ruger Forum. I'm with Contender. I would not give it a "good spray down with some WD-40". Among other things WD-40 is a penetrant, and is not a friend of fixed ammunition. It can make it's way into the cartridge case and damage the powder, and perhaps render it useless. I learned this thing about WD-40 during another part of my life and career.

In addition, once I pulled my dripping person back out of the water, I believe I'd dry my ammunition, and continue fishing. Clean SP-101 and wipe down with oil cloth later.

Sgtwillys

Bearcat
Great thanks

I never thought about the ammo and WD-40. I just worry about getting all the water out of the trigger group.

I just get so obsessed with having a clean gun. I blame that on the USMC!

I will also need to find a good holster that will retain it well since it is the DAO model

Thanks for the info guys.

captainjack

Bearcat
If you "dunk" any firearm, stainless or blue it's a good idea to follow all the previous posts. Also if mud, dirty water or saltwater are an issue I would flush out the unloaded gun with clean water first and lube it with my favorite product ,CLP. If WD-40 was all that was available it would be OK but other products are better. A complete cleaning and lube should follow asap.

I'm going to keep a small cleaning kit in my truck from now on just in case something like this happens to me.

Welcome to the forum!

Bring along a can of spray brake cleaner. If it gets wet, don't worry about it until you get a chance to do a little maintenance. Remove grips and drop trigger group, shake out as much water as you can and spray liberally with the brake cleaner. Allow a few minuted to dry. Then lightly oil the working parts, reassenble, reload and back in business.

harrydog

Bearcat
I'd apply a coat of Eezox to the entire gun before you take it trout fishing. With Eezox you apply a VERY light coat and after it dries it is dry to the touch, not oily. It's extremely good at corrosion protection. There are several informal corrosion tests on the internet that compare gun lubes and Eezox always seems to come out on top.

harley

Single-Sixer
Don't worry so much. Its a revolver. Get up, wipe it down, have some spare ammo in the tackel box for good measure. Clean it when you get home. no big deal.

USMC should have taught you to deal with a stressfull situation. this is not one of them. you are fishing, enjoy it. Everyone these days is so worried about something. if bullets are flying at you then your training should kick in. just dont go fishing in the middle east.

harrydog

Bearcat
I didn't take it that he was worried or that he considered this a stressful situation. I think he just that he wants to take care of his gear. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

louiethelump

Buckeye
As a side note, you should stay away from WD40 on guns. Especially on the inner works. The carrier evaporates and leaves a varnish like sludge behind that gums up small moving parts. I cannot even estimate how many "gun repairs" I was asked to do that turned out to be nothing but everything gummed up by dried WD40. And it is STICKY. You have to take out every pin and plunger and spring and clean it with solvent (Hoppes works for this) and put it all back together.

I am with the other guys. A bit of fresh water in a SP101 is not a big deal and can wait until you get home. Salt water is different. A flush with Gun scrubber or similary drying spray, and then a re-lube with gun oil in a can; not a spray and you are good to go..... After a gunscrubber flush, which removes all the oil, "if it moves, put a drop of oil on it".

Just my two cents....

Sgtwillys

Bearcat
Thanks for all the reply's!!

I think it is time for me to surf around this forum because I have a feeling I can learn a good bit about my little pocket rocket.
I must say I have already learned a few things just from looking around a bit.

So that's what I will do, strap it on, hit the N Ga. streams and enjoy.

Thanks everyone

pisgah

Buckeye
>As a side note, you should stay away from WD40 on guns. Especially on the inner works. The carrier evaporates and leaves a varnish like sludge behind that gums up small moving parts.

I have guns that I know for a fact have never had anything but WD-40 in/on them for 40+ years, and have never seen this phenomenon. During that time, I have heard such stuff thousands of times -- but never from someone who could actually show me a gun that this has happened to.

It ain't the greatest lube or protectant in the world, but it is dandy at water displacement, which is what the WD stands for, and perfectly fine for aftter-dunking emergency treatment.

louiethelump

Buckeye
do you take your guns apart and look inside? Do you use them regularly? Do you oil them with other oils that would serve as solvents to keep the gumming to a minimum?

It is your gun, do as you please. Your use of WD 40 is GREAT for the gun repair industry. I only offered my experience for those that may benefit from it. Was not intending to start an argument. Frankly, I DON"T CARE what you use on your guns. Whoever gets your guns when you die will pay someone to take them apart and clean them out, and that is OK with me.

I work in the aviation industry and know for a fact that long term storage of parts "preserved" with WD40 are a PIA to clean. IF the parts are sealed so the evaporatives stay intact, then it is okay. The internals of the firearm is what suffers the most. JMO.

Dave

pisgah

Buckeye
Gentlemen, I am not interested in starting a WD war. You have your opinion; I have mine. I do not recommed the stuff as the best, but my personal experience for decades -- and, yes, I have disassembled, or built from parts, and maintained all of my guns -- has been that while it is not the best all-around product for guns, it is not the bugaboo that so many claim it to be. And when it comes to emergency situations requiring a quick flushing-out of water-soaked actions, it works just fine, with absolutely no ill effects short-or-longterm.

pisgah said:
Gentlemen, I am not interested in starting a WD war. You have your opinion; I have mine. I do not recommed the stuff as the best, but my personal experience for decades -- and, yes, I have disassembled, or built from parts, and maintained all of my guns -- has been that while it is not the best all-around product for guns, it is not the bugaboo that so many claim it to be. And when it comes to emergency situations requiring a quick flushing-out of water-soaked actions, it works just fine, with absolutely no ill effects short-or-longterm.

I agree, for short term use.......... :D

Dave

Coop

Blackhawk
I've been shooting Blackpowder Cap and Ball revolvers for years now, both Piettas and Ruger Old Armies. After every match, I immerse them into a hot, soapy water bath (sans grip panels), scrub them out with bristle brushes, rinse with hot water, blow them out with compressed gas (air or otherwise), wipe them down with dry towels, lightly oil the action, Bore Butter lube the chambers and barrel on the blued models, then put them away until my next CAS match. That's about 150 dunkings in the last 10 years or so.

I don't think you need to worry at all about an occansional dunk for your stainless steel SP101. Unload the revolver, shake out the excess water, blow out the internals, wipe it down with a dry towel, then lightly oil the action. You might want to keep a can of compressed gas in you vehicle to blow it out.

Coop

Pa

Bearcat
Take along some 90% isopropyl alcohol. It's a lot less toxic & cheaper than brake/parts cleaner. If your pistol gets wet, just dunk it, unloaded, & let dry. The IA absorbs the water & evaporates quickly. Use your normal lube when dry.

Sgtwillys

Bearcat
WOW
Those are ideas I would have never thought of.

I also have a S&W 642 that I would like to take to the stream but will take the SP for this reason. If I dunk it, it takes me 3 minutes to have it apart then get it dry. This just isn't going to happen with a S&W. plus, it's a .357.

I enjoy the SP so much I find myself carrying it more than my Glock 27. OMG, how can that be!!

I still worry about the 5 rounds cap vs 9-10. But that is an entire different ball of wax.

Thanks