Ruger QC and my 2nd New Wiley Clapp SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scooter1942

Bearcat
Well, here's an update. I sent pics of the SP101 to Ruger and they strongly suggested that I not shoot the gun. They sent me a return label and on arrival the "revolver guy" inspected it and they informed me they'd be sending me a new revolver. I asked the very friendly customer service rep if someone who really new revolvers would look over the one they were sending to ensure there was nothing wrong with it, especially given that this was now my 3rd try to get a properly manufactured 3" Wiley Clapp in my hands. She informed me they'd be manufacturing the gun, not picking one from stock. Fast forward 2-3 weeks and I'm told the new gun is headed my way. It arrived last week. Barrel was straight, fit and finish was spectacular and I thought to myself...this is it!

But then, while doing a little dry fire with snap caps I noticed that once about every 10 fires, it would jam up. So I start down the path of identifying the problem and discovered that every time the gun was tilted up and to the right, the transfer bar would wedge into the right side of the frame. I'm used to guns with transfer bars with fore and aft play...that's normal, but this one has significant side to side play and is actually very loose where it attaches to the trigger. I compared it to my other SP101 and they were night and day different. So now, I have a brand new gun that I can't count on because if it is ever pointing up or tilted to the right, there's a better than 80% chance it will lock up.

So now to #4.

What the heck is going on with the SP101 line?

Star43

Blackhawk
Wow, you would think that the 3rd time would be the charm, but wow..... unbelievable. And yet they knew there was a problem, as they were going to make one "special" for you and not from the line. I feel for you guy......yeah, you ask a good question about what is going on with the SP101 line ? That ain't right. Maybe you should get a regular SP101 ? This Wiley Clapp version is not working so well for you ? Good luck.

eveled

Hawkeye
We always sort of questioned the dove tail on that model. It just seems to be a weak spot. Now seeing a void in the casting in the same spot is alarming. What if a large void was there, just under the surface and it didn't get machined into? I always thought they must xray the frames I guess they don't.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
I've had Rugers & S&W revolvers that would "jam up" when dry firing with snap caps while pointed up but not when cylinder was empty. In my case I found the problem to be the head of the snap cap was hanging up on the recoil shield. Where it bound was on the left side where the recoil shield is sloped to accept the end of the ejector rod and when I pushed the case head forward the cylinder advanced. Try dry firing tilted up without snap caps to see if it's the problem.

Hebraist

Bearcat
IMHO, I'd see if at this point (having taken delivery) Ruger might replace it and keep me from always rubbing at that spot and it giving me indigestion. However, if you are less concerned with the cosmetics, it doesn't seem likely that you'll run into reliability issues due to it.

Scooter1942

Bearcat
Ruger received #3 yesterday after going back and forth for a couple of weeks to get the shipping label. We'll see what happens. If they don't get it right this time, I'm going to ask them to send me something else.

Latest posts