Warped hammer strut on SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While tearing down my SP, I found the hammer strut to be somewhat warped. Not terribly bad but it's not straight. Called Ruger to ask if it mattered but the recording said they're closed (prior to noon). Does it make a difference? Haven't measured but it wiggles a bit (perhaps 0.1??) when laid on a flat surface.
Your thoughts? It seemed to work fine prior to the tear down.

Just got through to Ruger, who is sending me a new strut by mail. As everyone here probably knows from experience:
That's fantastic customer service from Ruger!

I'm not sure that I can get a good enough shot for it to show up. I have read at least two other accounts of folks finding the same issue.
I know its probably not noticed by most people during the average teardown, because nothing really looks bad or noticeable. I just happened to be laying parts on a flat surface, when I saw the strut wobble just a bit. Wouldn't have noticed at all otherwise, most likely.
I believe this is considered a fitted part, so it makes me think that the overall length is fairly precise. With a bit of a bend, that has to shave a thousandth
or so off the length, making me think its not really that critical. The Ruger rep wasn't sure, but immediately offered to send a free replacement!
Hammer dog was quite rough, with casting marks and additional warpage adding .001" near the pivot holes. I used a sanding board and wet-sanded down with 1200-grit to make it flat and smooth. I'm adding shims so the width does not bother me. It was VERY thick, so i knew there was room for sanding. The hammer strut, on the other hand, is long and much thinner. Not sure how much I could safely flatten or sand it. Not trying either.
Both the hammer and the trigger were scratched down the left sides, which echoes what I've read on TriggerShims.com: "If you only have space for a shim on one side, add it to the side opposite your shooting hand." Apparently we push that way more than I would have thought. Polishing out and shimming everywhere on both sides also.
Learning as I go, cleaning up and polishing and seeing how parts interact. New springs will be here before long, so it will be interesting to see how well it smooths out and fires after all of this.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I believe this is considered a fitted part,"

I do not think they have to "fit" the hammer strut.

But overall,, this is a bit interesting.

I tell folks the best way to get a good smooth & properly functioning action is to tear one down,, and clean up the parts. Finding a warped strut would require a replacement. (And Ruger is supplying that!)

gnappi

Blackhawk
Dang, the strut is a pretty strong part and I'm wondering how it could have been bent? An escape the Ruger's assembly line? Maybe someone forcing the hammer back on a high / poorly seated cartridge?

Gnappi, I bought it used so I can't guess at that. Could have been warped from day 1 at the factory. The rep and I both wondered about forcing issues.
Seems like that part would be thicker just for that possibility, but then again it could be a 'sacrificial' item designed to bend rather than transmit that excess force. Lots of guessing on my end right now.