Ruger Redhawk, should I buy?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
So I have wanted a double action .44 for a long time now. I am especially interested in a Super Redhawk, but I haven't found one for a price that I want to pay. The other day, my uncle gave me a call and said a guy wants to sell a .44 LNIB blued Redhawk for $450. Sounds like a pretty smokin deal. The only thing holding me back is that it has the single spring setup. I am a big fan of reduction springs and I am just wondering how it will work. I am concerned that I won't be able to get it setup to where the trigger feels good, but the hammer still hits the primers hard. Any comments on trigger pull? You think I should go for it?

Buy it. I picked up my blue .44 Redhawk a few months ago for $519. They aren't making blue ones any more and if you don't like it you can sell it for more than $450.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
You can get a very good trigger on a RH. Not sure how exactly, I just know after mine was done it almost feels like a Smith with a very smooth DA. That's a good price too.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have a Redhawk and you are right there is some concern with the trigger on them. Mine has a smooth but heavy double action pull and a crisp but heavy single action break. I was going to put a lighter mainspring in it but the occasional light primer hit made me delay that. Right now it is getting better with use and I am getting used to it. I would say it is not a major problem.

If you require a lighter trigger there are several things that can be done to the trigger. 1) longer firing pin. 2) check and fit the transfer bar and hammer face for best hit without pinching the transfer bar. 3) polish the mating surfaces and stone and polish the sear. 4) install a reduced power mainspring. Essentially a trigger job. :D

...Jimbo

deac45

Single-Sixer
targetshootr":2lj0oelr said:
You can get a very good trigger on a RH. Not sure how exactly, I just know after mine was done it almost feels like a Smith with a very smooth DA. That's a good price too.

On the one Redhawk I had I found the secret to be a good de-burr & polish of anything that rubs toghether. I pulled the cylinder off the yoke and polished the bearing surfaces it rotates on. Polish the sides of the slot the hand comes through. Polish the sides of the hand. Polish the hammer pivot pin. Pull the spring off and polish the sides of the strut. Etc, etc.
The goal here is to decrease friction. You do not want to remove metal, just polish what's there. Less friction may also allow a lighter spring but still keep the hammer striking hard enough. I was happy with the stock spring after slicking everything up.

deac45

maxpress

Buckeye
i would buy it. but thats just because i tried packing a super redhawk for awhile and was happier with the redhawk. course if its a hunter or truck gun then hip carry wont be that big an issue.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a redhawk in ss that has a great trigger. My son bought a blued redhawk that had a horrible trigger and we couldn't make it better so he sold it. I think I would wait and find a older redhawk in the ss to buy with the double spring setup and be happy with it. I love mine and got it at a good price of $300.00 used. All I did was clean it up and it looks great and shoots great. The stainless is very forgiving of wear. My gun cleaned up to new looking with very little work. And the trigger is awesome. I am very pleased with this gun's performance.

Florida-boy

Bearcat
My wife bought me a 4" SS Redhawk for Christmas this past year and I'd have to say that it's everything any S&W or any other brand would be right off the shelf.

$450 for an out of production gun that will only go up in value... yep, I'd do it.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Tommy Kelly":20sryvff said:
... I think I would wait and find a older redhawk in the ss to buy with the double spring setup and be happy with it. I love mine and got it at a good price of $300.00 used. ...
I don't believe any Redhawks were ever sold with a "double spring setup". Super Redhawks, yes, as they have a similar design as the GP100. But not the Redhawk itself, unless I am greatly mistaken. $300 is a great price, regardless.

My 4" RH has a lightened mainspring and has had some "slicking up" done (don't know what, specifically; it was before I got it). The DA pull is comparable to a decent S&W DA pull. The SA is not. There's not a lot of creep, it's just pretty heavy. I do get the occasional light strike with the light mainspring.

-- Sam

GhosT

Blackhawk
WyoGunner,

YUP, always comes down to the difference between the trigger setup between the Red hawk, and the Super Redhawk.

Own and love my Super Redhawk.
That Said.....

I SAY GO FOR IT.
I can't count how many REDHAWK owners , both in posts and in emails that were thrilled with them.
Some stayed with factory springs, others replaced them....

The REDHAWK is a well proven .44magnum handgun.

And the price seems good!

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
The double-spring setup is the Super RH.
For those with light primer hits, there is a way. Iowegan has shown it in great detail, and I have done it on my SS RH.
Sonnytoo

Latest posts