I resisted temptation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I may well be kicking myself a bit,, but I allowed a good deal to get by me.

Last night,, I saw a GP-100 in 44 Spl offered for sale. Used,, and the second owner was moving it along. it was a 2018 production gun, with box & papers. Offered FTF for $500 firm.
I would have had to drive about 2-1/2-3 hours to get it,, and I thought about it. Knowing it was a good price,, I still resisted,, saying; "If it's meant for me to have it,, It'll be available in the morning."
Well, someone else jumped on it, and it's gone.
I know it was a very good deal,,, but I really didn't see the "need" to own it,, as I have other .44 Spls, and prefer SA handguns in general.

Plus,, I just made a good deal yesterday,,, on an older table top lathe. So,, my "fun money" was gonna be a little tight. Still,, I may have a little remorse in not jumping last night.

Star43

Blackhawk
Well, I may well be kicking myself a bit,, but I allowed a good deal to get by me.

Last night,, I saw a GP-100 in 44 Spl offered for sale. Used,, and the second owner was moving it along. it was a 2018 production gun, with box & papers. Offered FTF for $500 firm.
I would have had to drive about 2-1/2-3 hours to get it,, and I thought about it. Knowing it was a good price,, I still resisted,, saying; "If it's meant for me to have it,, It'll be available in the morning."
Well, someone else jumped on it, and it's gone.
I know it was a very good deal,,, but I really didn't see the "need" to own it,, as I have other .44 Spls, and prefer SA handguns in general.

Plus,, I just made a good deal yesterday,,, on an older table top lathe. So,, my "fun money" was gonna be a little tight. Still,, I may have a little remorse in not jumping last night.
My Mother, God bless her soul, always used to say: "if it's meant to be, it's meant to be".....So maybe this one just wasn't meant to be ?? Something better will come along. 🙂👍

contender

Ruger Guru
As mentioned,, "If it was meant to be,, it will be."

I could have easily made it happen last night. And yes,, I was willing to accept the fact I'd have a solid 5-6 hours of driving time involved. I just couldn't totally sell myself on the actual "need" and the reality of how much I'd actually use it.

And yes,, a person can go broke quickly with good deals if they carefully look around.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Can't score them all. If we did, as mentioned above, we would go broke fast. You will get much better return on investment from the lathe by way of usefulness and enjoyment seeing how you already have 44 Specials. What would another add?

gunzo

Hunter
Another way to look at it & ease your pain is that the miles between you & the gun are about 150? Considering how long you said you'd have to drive.
Thinking the IRS says it cost 63 or 65 cents a mile to operate a vehicle. so, the $500 pistol just became a $600 pistol.

Feel better now?

And where can I read about the lathe?

Star43

Blackhawk
deac45,, I looked at that as well.

But heck,, the lathe,, well, it'll be my second one,,,,,,,! Oh the rabbit hole we go down.
That gave me a chuckle....it's the second lathe....I can't laugh too much though as it sounds to much like me...!!!. 😄😄

I feel your pain.

I'm about to head down to the pawn shop and see if that NM .44 Special flat top is still there, and if I can get him down to $650. There's half of me that realizes I don't need it and it will go on a credit card temporarily, and it's a NM. The others half of me hopes it's sold, because I swore it was only OM's for me from here out. But how else am I going to get a medium frame .44? Build one out of the ratty .357 OM at the other pawn shop for $650? How much would I be into that project…

Afternoon edit- I walked out the door with it for $600. I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
A while back I was watching an online auction with buy it now option. I don't remember the firearm but do remember it was a REAL good deal. Decided to get a fresh cup of coffee then come back and hit buy it now. Came back sat down and of course item was gone to another buy it now person that did not go for coffee 😞

On the plus side I do own a nice Midi-Lathe 😉

Star43

Blackhawk
I feel your pain.

I'm about to head down to the pawn shop and see if that NM .44 Special flat top is still there, and if I can get him down to $650. There's half of me that realizes I don't need it and it will go on a credit card temporarily, and it's a NM.
I have had that feeling in the past of half hoping it is there and half hoping it was gone......

A while back I was watching an online auction with buy it now option. I don't remember the firearm but do remember it was a REAL good deal. Decided to get a fresh cup of coffee then come back and hit buy it now. Came back sat down and of course item was gone to another buy it now person that did not go for coffee 😞

On the plus side I do own a nice Midi-Lathe 😉
That "buy it now" button has bit me on the ass a couple of times... latest was a No. 1 in 30-06, had gone through GB 3 or 4 times (that I saw) and each time got closer and closer to a realistic number. Finally got close and, yep... someone else jumped on the buy it now button...

Congrats to whoever you were, that was a beautiful SS No. 1.

Rclark

Hunter
To add to my post, I just ordered a Badger Goncalo boot grip for the Talo GP-100 .44 Special to hopefully make is slightly more concealable instead of the overly large wood grips that are on it now.

Don't do auction sites. Just don't like them. I will buy on-line from say 'Buds' through a local gun dealer though. Once it comes in I can still inspect it before signing the papers.

I've also learned to buy it 'now' IF it is a gun I am 'looking for'. Otherwise it will be gone if I go back -- given :) . I am hopefully past the impulse buying phase as I've found my goto shoot'n irons .

contender

Ruger Guru
I can totally relate to y'all.

The GP-100 I was looking at wasn't on an auction site,, but another more local forum. As for the way the IRS computes things,, nahh,, I'll stick to actual figures. I take care of my vehicles,, I get more than their value out of them, and even when I sell, I've done well. I figured about $30-$35 in gas,, lunch, and I'd be ok.
Besides,, I get to write off a lot of my expenses,,, using my company truck & all,, with my logo on the side. I get to talk business everywhere I go.

Now,, as for the lathe,, it's an older table top Logan brand. It's coming with a lot of extras too. I have to make arrangements to pick it up,, (strong backs, & weak minded friends,) but I'm hoping for this coming week.

Latest posts