Preferred 9mm bullet weight?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Is one 9mm bullet weight more accurate that another?

It seems mostly what is available is 115 grain factory ammo.

Although I did find a couple boxes of 124 and 147 grain. However when loading my own, again mostly what I find to buy is back to 115 grain.

I think I probably know the answer to this, but it will be nice to hear what ya'll think as well.

I *think* the correct answer is each pistol is different in what is most accurate to that pistol. Is that far off from the truth?

I'm thinking about this as I'm at the range right now and shooting 115 grains, some pistols shoot high and others low. Not a lot, just a bit.

I suppose I need to shoot the same pistol with different weight bullets to find the true answer.

I'll never be an Olympic pistol competitor, and like I said, it will be interesting to read what you think.

NikA

Buckeye
I have used 124gr in the past but just purchased a bunch of seconds bullets that were 115gr. I was reading about 9mm twist rates the other day, apparently a relatively fast twist (1:10" vs 1:16") can overstabilize 115/124gr bullets, particularly from longer barrels. Probably not a big issue for most applications, don't see many folks taking shots with 9mm past 100 yards even with PCC.

Ended up with a 1:10" barrel since I'm primarily considering subsonic applications.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The current "standard" for the 9mm NATO military ammunition is the 124 grain bullet. I have found that that weight shoots to the sights in the widest variety of fixed sight pistols, so it is my go-to. It also seems like most of the best performing personal defense rounds utilize that weight. Accuracy-wise, I have gotten great groups with 115 or 124 grain projectiles (both factory ammo and handloads), but it seems either my 9mm doesn't care for 147s (groups are close to twice as large as those of the 115/124), or I just haven't hit on a good load with that weight yet.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
NATO standard says 108 to 128 grains inclusive for the bullet weight. The new FMJ US military load (M1152) is 115gr and meets the NATO standard requirements.
I suppose I should have said the standard for most of the modern militaries...we used the 124 until 2019 (M882 was listed as having a 112 grain bullet, but every vet I've talked to says they were issued 124, and current production M882 is 124 grain), and China Russia, Germany, and many others still rely on the 124.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, the most common (3) bullet weights are 115, 124, and 147 grns.

Folks looking for higher velocities,, tend to prefer 115 grn bullets. While many competition shooters prefer the 147 grn bullets when building "match ammo."
Since I shoot a variety of guns,, I have settled upon 124 as my "normal" bullet weight kinda like noahmercy, has stated. Because they work in a variety of guns. But I also have and use all (3) different weights. It just "depends upon the gun & the purpose."

Johnnu2

Hunter
I strive for mediocrity in all things. Hence, my bullet choice is the weight 'in the middle' i.e. 124gr. UNLESS I get a good deal on some other weight, then, that becomes my 'perfect bullet du jour'. p.s. Berry's is the berries for me. :)

J

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I strive for mediocrity in all things. Hence, my bullet choice is the weight 'in the middle' i.e. 124gr. UNLESS I get a good deal on some other weight, then, that becomes my 'perfect bullet du jour'. p.s. Berry's is the berries for me. :)

J
For me, bullet weight choice is largely about perceived recoil.
A 147 with a light charge of fast powder is very gentle compared to a 115 and a "standard" powder charge.

When my customers were buying reloading components, 9mm/115 was the preferred weight for the average reloader. All that "hocus pokus" B.S. about "working up a load" only counted when they were trying to "make major" for action pistol. Accuracy was a tertiary concern, they were/are only shooting 15 yards in most cases, secondary concern was, is the handgun reliable. 9mm/115 were the most economical bullets that had enough weight to insure a reasonable overall length that fed reliably and generated enough energy to operate the action reliably. I have actually loaded 90/100 gr bullets in a 9x19mm caliber handgun that shot exceptionally "soft" and reasonable well at 25 yards. The ammunition generated just enough power to operate the action and eject the empty case. The cases fell on the ground just in front of my right foot. (I am right handed.)

Last edited:

J
I use Berrys for my plinking ammo. Especially 5.56 because they don't trash my steel targets like greentips do. I always try to find the absolute best in my setups. I work up/find the best absolute most accurate loads for each of my guns. My Max9 averages 6-8" at 25yds. It'll do 2" with V Crowns loaded slightly less than+P. My Beretta shoots 1 hole groups @ 25 yds with+P XTP's.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
I start at 124 gr. Almost all of the low budget 9mm commercial ammo out there is underpowered 115 gr. Some guns don't have a problem with that, at least until I try to use it. 124 gr. has always functioned well for me, straight across the board.

Latest posts