Pathetic Customer Service at Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
lfpiii said:
contender said:
Ok,, I have to ask, POLITELY.
Have you tried a phone call, instead of emails? Most often, a polite phone call, with details being given when questions are asked,, helps ANY company determine how to handle an issue with a product.

I know a lot of the world thinks emails & texts are the only way,,, but when you get direct contact with a live person, quite often,, good things happen. Emails are too impersonal.

I have been stuck in court for the past two weeks. I did give them my cell number and a time when I could receive calls but nothing back yet. Funny thing is that when I sent in a RFQ for 250 38 special GPs I could not get anyone to call me back. As a hobby I am a partner in a security company that is expanding.

FWIW I'd take a deep breathe and make a phone call. If it's worth kissing off Rugers it's worth a call.

BTW, I'm a partner in a contract security company (40K billable hrs per week) too, you know the aggravation we sometimes go through. A constructive "I need your help" call goes a long way, yes? :wink:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Dave P. said:
. Funny thing is that when I sent in a RFQ for 250 38 special GPs I could not get anyone to call me back. As a hobby I am a partner in a security company that is expanding.[/quote]

Is your security company planning to travel back in time to the mid sixty's?

Dave[/quote]

Dave,

Many hospitals and other medical contracts require non magnum revolvers.

2sheriffs

Single-Sixer
The last 2 Ruger revolvers I bought were a stainless Black Hawk 357 mag. and a stainless Super 7. They both had grip frames that over hung the grips better than 60 thousands. I called customer service and they wanted me to pay $30.00 each to ship them back. I told her that if they did not take care of this for free, I would never buy another Ruger product and told her how many I had and asked to talk to the supervisor, she said wait a minute. When she came back she told me they would send 2 boxes and sent UPS to get them with prepaid shipping labels. When I got them back they were a lot better, but not as good as my older Stainless Single Six. I am going to sell the 357 and send the grip frame to Chigs to make a set of grips that I just got that were really nice for my Single Six. They cost less than $50.00 and shipping is free if you are a veteran. They fit the older grip frames perfectly
Ron

falrifles

Bearcat
Call them at customer service. Nice folks.

Personally, I usually just box up the gun and send it back with a detailed letter describing the issue. They usually come back corrected. Sometimes they call me upon receiving the gun to discuss what is wrong. They will work with you either way. My only loss has been shipping charges to them at times. But that's my doing. At times I'm so busy, I just box it up and get it to Fed-Ex to get it done. I hate projects laying around in need of solutions....

Calling first, will get you a return shipping label. The bottom line with me is that they made me happy every time. Just know what you are talking about and be able to explain it to them.

On one particular occasion, I did email the CEO. At that time, it was Mike Fifer. What a class act he is. He did not respond to me personally, however the very next day the Ruger sales representative for the Midwest region called me and took care of the problem. So do not despair. They will not leave you hanging.

Fifer occasionally answered my "tell the CEO" suggestions personally. He appreciated suggestions. I'm sure the new CEO will be great.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Hey OP,

Sorry to hear about the problems with the GP and Ruger customer support. You came to the wrong site to complain about Ruger. Many of the members here are fan boys and do not believe stories inconsistent with their Ruger experience and reputation. Therefore, the blame must fall with you. I believe you because I've had my own problems with customer support and QC.

The advice here is actually pretty good. You get someone new at Ruger every time you call so keep trying. Your problems should be easy to prove and when you get the right person, they will take care of it.

I think your use of the word Pathetic may have been like calling a guy's girlfriend ugly. It's a word sure to cause issues.

Prescut said:
...Many of the members here are fan boys and do not believe stories inconsistent with their Ruger experience and reputation...

I follow the complaint threads pretty closely and the vast majority of the complaints are about fit and finish, a gun that is perfect to a shooter like me might not be good enough for someone who never plans on firing the gun and just wants to have it in his safe. This thread has all of the indications of being one of those situations but it lacks pictures...which, well, you know.

I have found over the years the way you contact companies has a lot to do with your satisfaction, from the only experience I have ever had with Ruger resulted in instant whats your address and sent a replacement on my word? Kinda hard without pictures, or willing to make a phone call how this complaint SHOULD be handled?

My experience with other revolvers has never fared as well for me as they have with my Rugers,, unless I spent 3 times as much for custom shop work from FA, never been as pleased with any double action as I have with the Rugers! Good luck with your boycott, hope your willing to settle for less!

I have had problems with 3 different revolvers. Only one was really serious. I called them first and then sent them a letter, along with the gun, explaining the problem. Each came back 'fixed' inside two weeks. Phone calls work wonders.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If it's really important enough, you find time to make a phone call. Want personal service, be personal yourself. Personally, the go-to threat of "here, look what I've spent, never again" tactic is stale and just an attention flag. But hey, whatever make one feel special.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Ruger service has always been good to me. Except one time. I had an O.M. Super Blackhawk that I wanted to put the Ruger faux Ivory grips on. I told phone operator what I needed. She asked for serial number. Would not sell to me because un-converted. So I gave serial # to a New Model SBH I own, and then she would sell.

Gene

Single-Sixer
Sorry about your troubles. My experiences with Ruger's customer service have been exemplary. In fact the best customer service I've ever had with ANY company.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I am sorry that I have not done an update but I was stuck in the hospital with a cardiac issue. Ruger fixed the issues and I am a happy camper again.

lark63

Single-Sixer
Ok- not to be a jerk but:

How about some details?
You did start the topic.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'm glad to see the ordeal is over with.

However, for future reference to all reading this in futureland (yes, believe it or not, people will be finding this discussion through Google in 20yrs), PICK UP THE PHONE! I work in an IT business, sending and receiving thousands of emails a week. We try to use ONLY email because it gives us a written record of all exchanges. Some dumbasses still have to do phone calls to cover issues that could be easily handled through email. Yes, it is tiresome and I HATE making phone calls. I'm using the word "hate" here in the truest sense of the word. That said, you cannot depend solely on emails for issues like this. If they go unanswered, pick up the friggin' phone and call them.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
lark63 said:
Ok- not to be a jerk but:

How about some details?
You did start the topic.

The problem was simple Ruger had the wrong person polish a GP-100. While it would have been no problem is the polish was off they cut into the thickness of the barrel. A second gun had broken grips. The guns were brand new shipped by the factory that way. Finally after an untold number of emails and phone calls they finally figured out that the barrel issue was a safety problem. The gun got replaced and the other one got new grips.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Thinning or changing the metal was not accomplished by polishing, grinding removes metal (not a polishing rag wheel).

Too bad about your experience, but it likely had no impact on accuracy or functionality.

Hopefully Davidson's replacement policy made you whole.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Polishing absolutely removes metal. Can't polish without it. And if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily cause lots of damage that is costly to fix. LOTS of Colt SAA's have been ruined this way.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Point being that IRL, the 30-120 seconds under a cotton wheel & rouge is not going to cause what the op described.

'course, with no pics or measurements - nobody knows.