Cost to send Ruger in for service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Evening, have read on Ruger Warranty page the various shipping, service costs ect. But have read on several forums That they were not charged for said shipping service ect. But these forum posts were old. Anyone have any recent experiences doing such and would share what it cost to have services and shipping? Asking since been looking at buying a GP100, that appears to have rust from photos, and would send it in for functionality safety check and to see if it needed any parts replaced or they would clean rust.

hittman

Staff member
I'd save myself from the possible aggravation and pass on buying that gun.
You won't know for sure the answer to your questions until you speak with Ruger and maybe send them pics. It may or may NOT get you free shipping paid by Ruger.

Probably depends on age of the gun and finish and extent of the damage. They may deem it abuse or neglect.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
My experience has been that if the issue is considered a defect or quality control issue, then Ruger pays the shipping. If it's something other than that, like normal wear, abuse or neglect then you may get charged shipping.

But as stated above the only way to know for sure is to call and speak with Ruger.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Last year I sent my .480 BH in for a repair. The Hammer locked back and would not drop. Luckily the gun was not loaded and a Ruger rep stated that if the gun is under two years old they pick up the shipping tab, if older they will provide a reduced cost shipping label (less $$ than walking in to a shipper) back to them.

I do not think surface rust would be considered a defect in any case, unless it were new then I'd not buy it in the first place.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Free" shipping isn't the thing. It's the COST that some FFL's charge to ship a firearm. Many charge over $100 because of the carrier they use also charges way more than they should. The USPS is a much cheaper shipping method,, BUT,,,,, you have to be a FFL to use their service if shipping a handgun. An individual doesn't have many good options.

I agree,, pass on the gun, unless it's a very good price. And even then,, if the finish and function check are all you'd prefer done,, any good gunsmith can easily handle that for a very nominal fee. Factor in a gunsmith fee in the purchase.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
$45 is what Ruger will charge for a return shipping on guns older than 2 years. I just sent in an SP101 22 for a broken firing pin and it was a lot cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith or buying the necessary parts and doing it yourself.

$45 is well worth it

FLgun

Single-Sixer
My question was primarily about if the rust would be covered and treated inspected for safety, parts replaced if needed and it that would be covered or not …but looking back I worded it poorly. And yes only Ruger could properly answer my question, just wondered if anyone had similar situation where they did work on a gun with rust at all.

rock 22

Single-Sixer
Just contacted Ruger about old mark 1 for 45.00 they sent me shipping label. After inspection called and charge will 110.00 for reblue and function check waiting on return now..This pistol manufactured in about 1954.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I'd save myself from the possible aggravation and pass on buying that gun.
You won't know for sure the answer to your questions until you speak with Ruger and maybe send them pics. It may or may NOT get you free shipping paid by Ruger.

Probably depends on age of the gun and finish and extent of the damage. They may deem it abuse or neglect.
Ruger may replace it. They have with me. Even paid shipping both ways.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Um...how much rust are we talking here? If it's extreme, avoid the gun. If it's not, can't you check it for functionality yourself?

contender

Ruger Guru
"can't you check it for functionality yourself?"

Many people aren't as mechanically inclined,, or comfortable in the detailed knowledge of the workings of a firearm. The factory is the place where they have the right tools, the right people with knowledge, and often,, can uncover something a casual person may miss.
It may appear to function fine,, but in reality,, may be too worn in places not easily seen.

If a person is unsure,, or doesn't have the knowledge,, why not let the factory check it over?

As noted above,, rust isn't normally covered under any kind of warranty work. It's considered neglect & abuse. Expect to pay for it to be re-done,, if it can be.

Agree with above posts.
On the other hand, the GP100 is a tank of a revolver so barring a tremendous amount of use, functionality is less of an issue than one might think. As for 'rust', I'm going to say that if apperance is a big deal, you'd better pass on this specimen and dig for more $$ and time to find a more pristine example.
Just my opinion.

hittman

Staff member
And since LEOs and prisons and security guards switched to semi-autos, the "good honest wear" revolver is a thing of the past. Now a revolver with "wear" is far more likely to have been abused and neglected.

Doin't we all long for the days when a web site would post "LEO trade-in" and offer dozens and dozens 3 inch Smith 65s, 4 inch Service Six, 2.75 in Speed Six, etc.

RSIno1

Hunter
The down side of sending it to Ruger is if they deem it unserviceable they won't return it. They will offer you a discount on a new one.

Latest posts