Normal break-in for Ruger semi-auto pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When I took my new sr40c to the range I had several (3 or 4 in the first 100 rounds) failure to feed issues, not confined to a specific ammo. After thorough cleaning I went back to the range and fired about another 200 rounds, and had only a single failure to feed issue (with Remington 180 gr). I'm wondering if the total I have fired (about 300 rounds) is still not enough to consider the gun broken in, or should I be thinking of sending the gun to Ruger? I was planning on using this gun as a primary carry gun (when not in Illinois), and the thought of a FTF is disconcerting (although it never happened on the first round in a mag, usually on the 6th or 7th round of a mag loaded with the full 9 rounds).

edfardos

Single-Sixer
how, exactly, did it jam?

3point jam?
leading edge of brass mouth caught on edge of chamber?
fail to eject?

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
Have you tried different ammo? How is your grip? Have you tried different mags? After throughly cleaning it, did you throughly lube it? Have you taken apart the mag and made sure it was clean and the spring was bound up or out of place? Have you called Ruger tech support? Next range trip, have one of the range officers shoot a mag and see if it jams on them. Just a few ideas ...

I appreciate the suggestions. Since it only jammed once in about 20 mags of ammo, I'm not sure I could conclude much from having someone else fire a mag of rounds. My plan now is to clean the gun and mag again, return to the range and make sure I am not limp-wristing the gun at any time, and see what happens. If I experience another FTF I will contact Ruger and see what they recommend.

cluznar

Bearcat
Just keep on shooting, maybe also have someone who is an experienced shooter shoot several mags.

In all honesty... If I was putting 200 rounds through just about any semi-auto pistol, I would not be surprised at a jam or two.... most probably a limp wrist or bad round or combo of a little of both.

A

Anonymous

I too would consider a limp wristed shot allowing too much muzzle flip thus causing the next round to not feed into the chamber properly. I have put about 700 rounds through my SR40c and have never had a single issue. The only break-in I experienced is that the slide becomes a little easier to rack.

9mm Texan

Bearcat
When Mrs was breaking in her P95 she had a couple of similar jams in the first hundred rounds. She is very slight (Skinny) so I helped her rework her grip. A thousand rounds plus later she hasn't ever had the problem again and we both have complete confidence in the weapon. :D