Semi Auto Bear Defense!!! Whoda Thunk!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
1710249001415.jpeg

jyo

Single-Sixer
Back in my Alaska roaming days, I carried my Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolver and in camp, there were always several shortie 870s lying around... Still, if a 9mm pistol was all I had at the moment, I'd use it!

Other than getting real lucky, getting a head shot on a 800 lb Grizzly coming at you fast is going to be near to impossible until it is way too late. The only time I've ever seen a Grizzly was one that was stuffed in the entrance of a local bar restaurant for a while. This one was standing on its hind legs up right and was somewhere between 10 and 12ft tall. Slightly a bit more than the black bears we have just up in the hills from me.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Headshots on a running bear, a bear running at YOU at 30 mph? With a handgun? Bwahahahaha
It's been done many times before and with success pretty often. Not everyone carries a thumper rifle or slug gun when they enter griz country although that's optimal of course but in real life even very experienced woodsmen don't take a rifle every time or are caught of guard out there. I'd rather have my 686 loaded with BB 180's then swinging a spinning rod at a big bruin. A Glock 20 will be upcoming.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Just for the heck of it. Looked like one guy, probably the vet, gave the bear an injection, before the other guy pissed off the bear, then killed it. 😕

I would poke out their eye with my tactical pen, bite their ear, and speak harshly to them...

....or maybe not,

It's just that I spend about half the year in bear country. However they're all black bears. No crankier grizzlies, browns. or polars. The thing about black bears is that most of the time, most of them have a bad case of "Don't give a s**t". See them in the woods all the time. They look back, and as long as you aren't in their personal zone they just keep walking. Want them to walk faster? Wave your hands in the air and yell. They are pretty shy. No gun work needed. The only exceptions MIGHT be getting too close to mama's cubs, or males looking to get some...

Now, I know there are folks here who have had to strangle a grizzly with their bare hands, and are laughing at me,
but I am just relating personal experience. Who knows? Maybe they just find me charming......

Latest posts