Semi Auto Bear Defense!!! Whoda Thunk!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
The is a bit misleading. That penetration is not the whole.story. There has to be enough impact force.to deter the attack and 10mm on average has double what 9mm.does
While that may be true for just run of the mill ammo for both calibers, it is not the whole story. Here is the real story on the ammo power of the calibers discussed herein: (11) the 9mm is a very weak load, which I call a pea shooter. BUT,, there are a few 'high powered' 9mm rounds, and Buffalo Bore makes one that produces 500 ft. lbs. And in semi-auto handguns (pistols), this may be too much power for most. But, if shooting this high powered 9mm round in a revolver, then there would be no issue. The 'average 9mm round delivers around 350 ft. lbs. (2) The 10mm is noticeably more powerful than the 9mm, with the 'average' load being around 475-500 ft, lbs, and the max at 728 (Grizzly). (3) The .357 Mag (almost exclusively a revolver round and not usable in almost all pistols) is the most powerful of all three of these, far more than the 9mm, and noticeably more than the 10mm. Its 'average' load delivers 600 ft. lbs, and the max round is 907 ft. lbs. (PPU).

If you are considering hunting with any of these calibers, I would not suggest EVER using the 9mm for any animal large, such as deer or bears or cougars. While the 10mm is considered by many to be an effective caliber for bears, I would not recommend this caliber for any game that can kill you, like bears! It may be 'fine' for small black bears, but not the big males, or decent sized sow with cubs. On the other hand, the .357 Mag is powerful enough for most black bears, but you are betting your life on it when big enough and it is attacking you! Nor would I recommend the .357 for grizzlies.

For hunting large male black bears and grizzlies, I recommend stepping up to considerably more powerful calibers, like the .45 Colt (max's out at 1,344 ft. lbs. (Buffalo Bore and only for Ruger and BFR)),, or the famous .44 Mag that max's out at 1,533 (Buffalo Bore). Both of these will have a substantial kick, but usable, and the longer the barrel, the better, thus providing more power and less kick. From there you can step up into really very powerful handguns, all of which are revolvers: 454 Casaul (up to 2,200 ft. lbs, the .460 S&W (up to 2,800 ft. lbs.), and then the .500 S&W (up to 3,000 ft. lbs.). Of course, there are a few in between, but these are the main contenders.

Lastly, there is the relatively new .500 Bushwacker that produces about 4,900 ft; lbs. This gun has a special muzzle break to help with the kick.

If anyone wants my free ballistics file that contains all of this info, including a total of 35 handgun calibers and 25 rifle ones, just text me here with your email address. It is a PDF file.-, and not really usable on smart phones.

Cholo

Staff member
I watched the beginning and end of that video last night. I can say that they jammed 20 minutes of info into 1:17 like it was nothing. That guy on the left could talk for 20 minutes and all you'd know is that he saw a young Brown bear approaching him. It was painful. So painful that they made Hickok45 seem like a man of few words, and downright concise LOL

With that said:

I did the math using Buffalo Bore HD ammo only. Forget the 9mm they both chose. It was 10mm vs 44 Mag. You have sixteen 220 gr. bullets of 10mm in a Glock 20 or a S&W M&P. At 635 #'s per round that equates to 10,160 foot pounds. If you have six 340 gr. bullets at 1401 out of a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk you're carrying 8,886 foot pounds of energy.

It boils down to six shots vs 16 shots at a lesser impact per round. You decide.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I watched the beginning and end of that video last night. I can say that they jammed 20 minutes of info into 1:17 like it was nothing. That guy on the left could talk for 20 minutes and all you'd know is that he saw a young Brown bear approaching him. It was painful. So painful that they made Hickok45 seem like a man of few words, and downright concise LOL

With that said:

I did the math using Buffalo Bore HD ammo only. Forget the 9mm they both chose. It was 10mm vs 44 Mag. You have sixteen 220 gr. bullets of 10mm in a Glock 20 or a S&W M&P. At 635 #'s per round that equates to 10,160 foot pounds. If you have six 340 gr. bullets at 1401 out of a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk you're carrying 8,886 foot pounds of energy.

It boils down to six shots vs 16 shots at a lesser impact per round. You decide.
While it is fun to try to calculate numbers vs. quality, when an animal is coming at you that can kill you at 30-35 MPH, you will never get off more than 4-6 rounds before impact, and more realistically more like 2-4 rounds.. Also, upon impact, the semi-auto pistol will not fire if the gun is pressed up against the body of the animal, but a revolver will always shoot.

Also, do not forget to include the .45 Colt in the high powered revolvers, in addition to the .44 Mag.

Latest posts