New Ruger Redhawk shoots both .45 Colt and ACP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I ordered one from Kygunco.com a couple hours ago. Hope to see it in about a week.
With the holiday weekend it may take a little longer. In the mean time,I guess I will just have to shoot my other Ruger revolvers.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
I ordered one from Kygunco.com a couple hours ago. Hope to see it in about a week.
With the holiday weekend it may take a little longer. In the mean time,I guess I will just have to shoot my other Ruger revolvers.

KY price was $758 with free shipping, if Inremember correctly. Hope you get it quickly.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I picked mine up this morning. The first thing I did when I got home was to do a quick check of the throats. I toon a Speer jacketed bullet that mic's .4513-4" and checked the throats. That bullet can be pushed into all six throats with little thumb pressure. I need to buy a set of pin gauges but have always thought them too speedy for the little use they would get.
It seems Ruger has listened to us and is making an effort to correct the old tight throat issues of the past. This one should be a shooter.
The action on this gun is dry,no excess lube like sometimes is found. That will be taken care of before a trip to the range in a week or so.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I just picked mine up today. It came it while I was on vacation. I have some pin gauges, and the .452 will go through with very slight pressure. The .453 will not go through at all. Overall the fit and finish looks good. I hope to try and shoot it this weekend.

DPris

Buckeye
Check the rear sight pin.
Discovered today the one here is a ROLL pin, not a solid pin.
First time I've seen this from the factory in a Ruger revolver with adjustable sights.

Trying to get clarification from Ruger on whether it'll be an on-going thing.
Hope so.
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I looked at it today as the rear sight pin is on my list of things to " address" before the first range trip on all Rugers I buy. I am sure mine is the solid 1/16" pin like they have used forever. I drift them to the right about 1/8-3/16" and bend it slightly(maybe 5-7 degrees). I clean it with solvent and put a drop of
Lock-Tite on it and drive it back in. I have never had one move again but they can be removed if needed. I will go out to my shop and check though and report.

I just checked and it is a solid pin. Casing date of May.

DPris

Buckeye
Hmmmm.
Waiting for a response from Ruger.
Mine's dated June 15.
Denis

DPris

Buckeye
Confirmation this morning- That roll pin will be expanding into all adjustable-sighted DAs, but apparently not the SAs.

Good idea long overdue & should cut down on those "My sight pin keeps backing out, what should I do?" posts. :)
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The empty case bag in mine is May. I think either type pin would be OK.

Mine must be one of the last production guns with the solid pin. It may be a very valuable collector piece. Maybe I shouldn't shoot it...... LOL.....

DPris

Buckeye
Yep- Get it bronzed & toss it in a shadow box on the wall. :)

Glad to see the roll pin become standard in DAs, hopefully it'll spread to SAs eventually.
Denis

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I fired mine this morning for the first time. It seems to really like the Lyman version of the 255 gr. Keith bullet. I only had loads with that bullet that were loaded mid range ( 825-850 fps) . 10 shots at 30' made one ragged hole with one flyer out about 1 1/2".i make no claim to be a good handgun shot so most of you guys would be able to do that well at 25 yd.
I shot 230gr. Mid range .45 ACP using Berrys plated and Hornady jacketed bullets also. Not quite as accurate when shooting ACP as expected but I did manage to fire 12 shots into about 2 1/2" at 30' (rested)double action and 10 into about 2" single action.
I am a little excited about how it shot the 255 gr. Keith bullets when I was not shooting at my best.
I will be loading and shooting some heavier loads using that bullet and IMR4227 and
2400. I hAve done well with those powders in the .45 Colt in my other RH.

DPris

Buckeye
Anybody else with updated .45 ACP accuracy results?

Got the one here out to the quarry today with six .45 ACP & six .45 Colt factory loads, running from standard vel to nuclear-level Buff Bore & CorBon.

Need to know how the ACPs are doing in other guns, hoping my sample is not representative.

The .45 Colt stuff was fine.
Denis

dakota1911

Buckeye
Yahoo. And if uses S&W 625 moonclips then a double yahoo and even put a couple !! after it.