is this slide wear normal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I've been looking for a fairly recently made P89DC and I found a guy with one for sale. He said it only has a couple hundred rounds through it and is in great shape other than some slide wear at the front end. He said it's never been in a holster, but the slide rubs on the frame and that caused the wear. I don't think the slide rubbing on the frame should cause this wear in 200 rounds unless the slide isn't centered or something weird. Take a look at the pic and tell me if you think it looks normal. I'm going to drive down and see the gun, but it's more than a 90 minute drive so I haven't been able to yet. I don't have a P89, P90, or P91 that has the different front end look to know if this kind of wear is normal on that style of Ruger. My P94, P95, and P97 have a different front end look to the slide and do not show this type of wear. I appreciate any thoughts.

2009-10-22054157.jpg

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
I wouldn't buy it. Something isn't fitting right.

I have guns with thousands of rounds through them that don't show that kind of wear.

96/44

Blackhawk
My P89DC has a slight mark in that same area, and functions perfectly. If you look closely at that part of the slide, it is just an unfinished casting, so I suppose some are a bit larger than others. It is probably just cosmetic, and shouldn't affect function. Sounds like a good bargaining point to me.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I don't think it would hinder the function of the gun, but I think it's going to wear worse and worse and could lead to rust. Here's another pic that looks like the slide is a little off center...He wants $300 for the gun with 200 rounds of plinking ammo.

2009-10-22054251.jpg

96/44

Blackhawk
For $300, I would probably wait for a nicer example. There are some good deals out there if you are patient. Or, if you can talk him down from the price a bit, you could always send it in to Ruger...

wlhump

Bearcat
I just bought a new KP89 for ~$400. $300 for a used blued version with this type of wear would seem like a risk. I would think you can do better if you look around a bit. Around here, everyone is trading in the big iron for smaller pistols that can be concealed/carried. So the bigger frame used guns are not very expensive. (But I had to have new one :lol: in SS)

Now, I have put around 1000 rounds thru mine in a short period of time and it shows the smallest sign of a rub on the slide immediately in front of the frame rail about 3 mm long. More like a polished area. But with SS, I don't have the worry about rust. Also, the rub way down front would bother me some, the pic is not real clear, bit it looks like it "chattered" a bit. IMO this slide is too loose for my taste.

Love the gun, has been everything everyone around here says it would be...dead a55 reliable, reasonably accurate!! It has been fed everything from the cheapest foreign ammo to high end SD stuff. Not a single hick-up! Only been cleaned before its first trip to the ranch (I never shoot a gun without cleaning it and checking it out first) and one other time at about 500 rounds. Needs cleaned again (some of this cheap stuff is real dirty) but still runs like a champ.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I am going to pass on it. I really want a recently made P89DC. They seem to be hard to find around me. I did find a P90DC and if I can work the price a little bit I'll be able to get a gun I've always wanted. I'll still look for a P89DC. Thanks for helping me decide.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Any other thoughts on this? I haven't been able to find any other P98 that is the decock model.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
TruthNotRelative":p2dd79ca said:
If the slide and frame are rubbing, it should be a very simple fix.

For YOU it would be easy : ) If you've seen the spice rack or BBQ that Homer Simpson built you have an idea of MY skills : )

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"For YOU it would be easy : ) If you've seen the spice rack or BBQ that Homer Simpson built you have an idea of MY skills : )"

:shock: :D

tiger955

Bearcat
I had P89 that looked a little off like that a few years ago. I fired thousands of rounds through it and never had any problems. Had to sell it due to financial issues. I have been looking for another like it recently, but used ones seem to be scarce around here. I recently bought a brand new P95 for $319. I haven't fired it a lot yet, but so far I think I like it better than the P89 I used to have.