Security 380 Frame with Security 9 Slide Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
This might be a stupid question but I want to ask anyways. There are some of you here that test a lot, and have many years of experience. I do have a Security 380, and a Security 9. I believe that the frames are exactly the same quality, talking about the frame rails. Do you think that it is safe to shoot 9mm using my security 9 slide on the security 380 frame? I have been contemplating in buying a Security 9 compact slide to do that. I swapped the slides, and they manually run perfect, but I didn't dare to shoot it.

I think the Security 380 and Security 9 Compact frames are essentially identical - the serial numbers are all mixed together if you check the Ruger serial number search web site. The mags are almost identical; the .380 mag is basically a 9mm mag with modified feed lips and a plastic filler in the back, and different (smaller) spring & follower, but both mags fit the .380 frame. The slide stop parts are also different, so if you mount a 9mm top half on a .380 frame assembly, you basically need to pull back on the slide AND push down on the slide stop simultaneously to get the slide to close on a fresh mag. (And I believe if you use a .380 slide assembly on a 9mm frame, the .380 mag springs won't have enough power to activate the 9mm slide stop.) The recoil assemblies are different: Ruger put a larger diameter recoil spring guide rod in the .380, to prevent accidental use of the low-power "easy rack" spring assembly in a 9mm, but they both fit in the .380 frame. And the .380 barrel will drop into a 9mm compact slide, but the 9mm compact barrel will NOT fit a .380 slide. I've got a Security 380, and bought a used Security 9 Compact slide/barrel/recoil assembly to use with it, but due to bad weather have not had a chance to actually shoot it yet using 9mm ammo - plan to post when I get around to it!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, I'm not a gunsmith, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
See if the manuals list a part number for the metal frame/rails and if they're the same number.

I'm guessing they will have different part numbers, due to the different slide stop parts. The .380 has no slide stop spring, and instead has a little rubber widget inserted in a small hole in the frame, to keep the slide stop from bouncing around loose. The 9mm has a slide stop spring, and therefore doesn't need the little rubber widget (or the hole in the frame that holds it).

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
I think the Security 380 and Security 9 Compact frames are essentially identical - the serial numbers are all mixed together if you check the Ruger serial number search web site. The mags are almost identical; the .380 mag is basically a 9mm mag with modified feed lips and a plastic filler in the back, and different (smaller) spring & follower, but both mags fit the .380 frame. The slide stop parts are also different, so if you mount a 9mm top half on a .380 frame assembly, you basically need to pull back on the slide AND push down on the slide stop simultaneously to get the slide to close on a fresh mag. (And I believe if you use a .380 slide assembly on a 9mm frame, the .380 mag springs won't have enough power to activate the 9mm slide stop.) The recoil assemblies are different: Ruger put a larger diameter recoil spring guide rod in the .380, to prevent accidental use of the low-power "easy rack" spring assembly in a 9mm, but they both fit in the .380 frame. And the .380 barrel will drop into a 9mm compact slide, but the 9mm compact barrel will NOT fit a .380 slide. I've got a Security 380, and bought a used Security 9 Compact slide/barrel/recoil assembly to use with it, but due to bad weather have not had a chance to actually shoot it yet using 9mm ammo - plan to post when I get around to it!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, I'm not a gunsmith, etc., etc.
Please let us know how the shooting goes. When I put both slides and frames together I didn't check the slide stop or slide catch. I will have to look next time. Thank you.

Please let us know how the shooting goes. When I put both slides and frames together I didn't check the slide stop or slide catch. I will have to look next time. Thank you.

Well, I actually got to the range today, with the Security 380/9. I spent most of my time testing .380 reloads, including three different loads (two 115gr & one 125gr) that significantly exceeded .380 maximum cartridge length. I had verified that they would chamber easily in the .380 barrel, and they fed without any issues from a Security 9 magazine. I will definitely be loading some more of those!

By the time I got the Security 9 Compact top half mounted on the .380 frame I was out of paper targets, but I fired half a box of Federal 'red box' 9mm 115gr FMJ without a single hiccup. I had also planned to bring some Remington 9mm JHP to check out, but I grabbed the wrong box (it was full of once-fired brass, not loaded ammo). Next time I'll bring more targets and some different 9mm loads to try out.

I really like this Ruger! I think I'll have a lot of fun loading extra-long 'heavy bullet' .380 cartridges to feed from the Security 9 mags, and it looks like 9mm will be an option also!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, I'm not a gunsmith, buyer beware, etc., etc.

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Those are good news. I have been thinking about this for weeks, and I am happy with those results. 9mm is cheaper than 380ACP, and for now, I am interested in reloading 380ACP, just never tried reloading anything before.

Those are good news. I have been thinking about this for weeks, and I am happy with those results. 9mm is cheaper than 380ACP, and for now, I am interested in reloading 380ACP, just never tried reloading anything before.

A few photos:

1706217619534.png

1706217708779.png

1706217794079.png

HoosierBilly1

Bearcat
Well, I actually got to the range today, with the Security 380/9. I spent most of my time testing .380 reloads, including three different loads (two 115gr & one 125gr) that significantly exceeded .380 maximum cartridge length. I had verified that they would chamber easily in the .380 barrel, and they fed without any issues from a Security 9 magazine. I will definitely be loading some more of those!

By the time I got the Security 9 Compact top half mounted on the .380 frame I was out of paper targets, but I fired half a box of Federal 'red box' 9mm 115gr FMJ without a single hiccup. I had also planned to bring some Remington 9mm JHP to check out, but I grabbed the wrong box (it was full of once-fired brass, not loaded ammo). Next time I'll bring more targets and some different 9mm loads to try out.

I really like this Ruger! I think I'll have a lot of fun loading extra-long 'heavy bullet' .380 cartridges to feed from the Security 9 mags, and it looks like 9mm will be an option also!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, I'm not a gunsmith, buyer beware, etc., etc.
I forgot to ask you... did you experience any issue with the slide catch? Just wondering since the slide catch is the only apparent difference in the frames.

Nothing that I would call an issue - the Security 9 magazine activated the slide stop when the mag was empty, with both the .380 slide and 9mm slide. As mentioned above, however, when the 9mm slide was locked back and a loaded mag inserted, the slide had to be pulled to the rear AND the slide stop manually pushed down, to load the first cartridge from the loaded mag. The .380 slide is slightly different, so pulling the .380 slide to the rear is sufficient to depress the slide stop, with either a .380 or 9mm magazine in place.

Realized that I forgot to include a photo of some of the .380 rounds I fired:

1706305115449.png

Left to tight:
CCI Blazer 95 gr FMJ factory round
115 gr plated HP reload
115 gr plated RN reload
115 gr coated TC reload
125 gr cast RN reload
The 2 shorter rounds will feed through the Security 380 magazines provided by Ruger with the firearm; the 3 longer rounds exceed the standard .380 cartridge O.A.L. and are too long to fit the .380 mag, but fed without issues from a used Security 9 magazine.

As always FWIW, YMMV, IMHO, I'm not a gunsmith, only use published reloading data, etc.

Latest posts