Is the SS frame different between .22 & .32

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DutchV

Bearcat
If you decide not to chase it, can you let me know where you saw the .32 parts kit?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
One thing to be aware of is a change in .22 and .32 barrel thread:
OM and pre 1986 NM Single Six .22 barrels, and 1st year, 1984, thru part of 1985 .32 barrels are 20 tpi x .557" thread diameter, the shank at forcing cone is .430"

Post 1985 .22 barrels are 24 tpi x .622" thread diameter, with the old smaller size shank of .430" and .32 barrels are also 24 tpi x .622",but with a shank of .486". All the 32 Vaqueritos will have the larger thread size.

One more detail:
You'll need to slightly enlarge the bottom of the loading notch for the larger .32 case to line up with the chambers for loading/unloading. Installing the Free spin cylinder pawl from the Ruger Wrangler .22 Or Power's Customs pawl will really improve ease of loading. I just modify the regular pawl to free spin on all my new model .22s and .32s.
1708644064194.png

A friend wanted a 32/327 mag old model. The old model .22 cylinder diameter and cylinder window is about .008" smaller than the new model .22. The .32 cylinder rubbed the bottom of the frame window so it had to be filed/stoned for clearance.
1708646107347.jpeg

I also reamed the cylinder to chamber the .327 Federal Mag. After speaking with a few custom builders, they had no concerns about the 6 shot 32 H&R Mag cyl strength reamed 1/8" deeper for .327 use. It is true that all the 'professional' 327 conversions use a longer new made cylinder that fills the cyl window with no barrel protruding thru thru the frame. If you can find a Ruger 7 shot .327 cylinder so much the better. Just adjust the barrel cyl gap.

However, the 32 mag cyl reamed to 327 will work: Factory loaded .327 Mag cartridges are only ~.003" longer than the factory 32 H&R cylinders. So originally I thought I'd have to run the factory loads thru my seating die and seat the bullets a couple of .001" deeper in the case, but didn't have to. Believe it or not they function perfectly by taking advantage of the barrel/cylinder gap spacing. I know it might be counterintuitive but as they say, truth can be stranger than fiction. Even though the .327 Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and 100 gr HP loads are longer than the .32 H&R Mag chambers, the ~ .005" bar/cyl gap is sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with the Professor, Just buy a .32 mag. The only reason I made the conversion was because my friend wanted an Old Model in .32/.327 Mag. He doesn't like the new model actions.

I've reamed NM .32 mags for .327 Mag. And one with a convertible in 32-20 short; then shortening the 32-20 brass. I reamed another spare .32 mag cylinder for full length 32-20; you just need to seat the bullet deep in the case. The owner wanted to be able to shoot the same round in his 32-20 Winchester lever action rifle.

Star43

Blackhawk
I agree with the Professor, Just buy a .32 mag. The only reason I made the conversion was because my friend wanted an Old Model in .32/.327 Mag. He doesn't like the new model actions.

I've reamed NM .32 mags for .327 Mag. And one with a convertible in 32-20 short; then shortening the 32-20 brass. I reamed another spare .32 mag cylinder for full length 32-20; you just need to seat the bullet deep in the case. The owner wanted to be able to shoot the same round in his 32-20 Winchester lever action rifle.
Yeah, I guess you are right in agreeing with the Professor (I guess he got off of Gilligan's Island), but just reading how you did it and with the detail involved, I was beyond impressed. I must say that over the years I have seen your many posts on so many things and always came away by wishing you were my next door neighbor so I could bring things to you or just watch you do these things. Thanks much for sharing your knowledge. 🙂

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Star43,
Thank you. Would like you for a neighbor. All you'd have to do is ask: "Can this be done?"

A friend once told me he wished he could have a stainless old model Single action. So I bought a police destroyed (frame cut in half) new model Blackhawk. Figured out what had to be changed and turned it into a 3 screw action. Then I did the same thing to his stainless Vaquero. The 3 action screws will not interchange with an old model but they look the same assembled. I used the two frame pin holes by threading and counter sinking them. And drilled/threaded a 3rd hole for the OM cylinder latch/spring screw. Then modified three screws to fit the holes and internal parts.

Used an old model wide stainless trigger/spring/plunger and grip frame from the SS Old Army. The transfer bar was eliminated. There's no SS old model hammer so I used a fully polished carbon steel hammer. I had to drill and tap a hole to use the old model loading gate plunger/spring/screw.

The new model SS cylinder pin worked as is, but I polished an old model pin to use. That's it as I recall. Pretty simple, no welding or milling needed.

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
I don't know if the average guy would call that a "simple process".......I guess it shot ok after all of that. When it was done, what did you call it? 🙂

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It was just replacing new model action parts with old model parts and making small changes for attaching them.

He called it the one and only Old Model Vaquero. It functioned normally likely any old model. Firing/accuracy didn't change.

Star43

Blackhawk
So you built a "Prototype".........and it works !! An old Model Vaquero. That is truly a one of a kind. Too bad Ruger isn't reading this. I bet they could sell a ton of them, in another world of course.
I don't know if the average guy would call that a "simple process".......I guess it shot ok after all of that. When it was done, what did you call it? 🙂

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They would likely appeal the some Ruger fans especially the New Vaquero in mid size frame. Although converting OM BLACKHAWKS to Colt and Vaquero style revolvers w/o adj sights has all but disappeared. Though they were more expensive to make considering the welding and refinishing requirement.

And as you indicated, not in today's world; Ruger's legal team would be dead set against making and selling old models.

Star43

Blackhawk
Hondo, have you ever had one of your friends ask you to convert a Single Six to shoot 38's ?? It just got me to thinking about all the retrofitting you did to make your Prototype gun. It may be a dumb question, but I was curious. Personally, I love the size frame of the Single Six, and obviously if it can handle hot 32 mags and 327's. It could handle hot 38's too. Just wondering if you ever attempted it ?? I love the 32 H&R and of course 32 longs, etc, but the rounds are expensive for folks who don't reload. The 38's are expensive also these days but cheaper than the 32 mags and 327's for sure. Just wondering ?

Star43

Blackhawk
Hondo, have you ever had one of your friends ask you to convert a Single Six to shoot 38's ?? It just got me to thinking about all the retrofitting you did to make your Prototype gun. It may be a dumb question, but I was curious. Personally, I love the size frame of the Single Six, and obviously if it can handle hot 32 mags and 327's. It could handle hot 38's too. Just wondering if you ever attempted it ?? I love the 32 H&R and of course 32 longs, etc, but the rounds are expensive for folks who don't reload. The 38's are expensive also these days but cheaper than the 32 mags and 327's for sure. Just wondering ?
Yeah, I guess the overall length of the 38 might be challenging, yet there are always wadcutters?

Latest posts