Held a Glock 19 again...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
After shooting an xd in .40, I decided I had to join the poly wagon. Went on a quest to feel a bunch of handguns and went off of a first impression basis. I absolutely hated the way the glock felt and ended up with an xd. It just felt right.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Definitely not a glock fanboy, but I got something to say.
I resisted Glocks for years, I 'heard' the grips were awful, it was a brick, it was too fat.
Since my short stubby fingers cannot handle a fat grip I passed.
I did buy a Sigma 9VE which has been univerally praised as having this computer designied ergonomic handle that is perfect.
In fact it is very very nice.
But I DON"T see the difference in the G19. The G19 is every bit as easy to handle as point as a Sigma or any other gun.

It doesnt slope up like a rifle, and if you really want a weird grip try a Ruger Mark. The old style Luger frame is very hard to grip right.

What I found from experience and not internet rumor is that the Glock holds and points well even with super small hands; The grips are not fat at all, and the angle is nice as well. Let's face facts, the G19 is just about a perfect handgun. Took me a few decades to figure that out.

ConradM

Blackhawk
gatorhugger":2nht27s1 said:
Definitely not a glock fanboy, but I got something to say.
I resisted Glocks for years, I 'heard' the grips were awful, it was a brick, it was too fat.
Since my short stubby fingers cannot handle a fat grip I passed.
I did buy a Sigma 9VE which has been univerally praised as having this computer designied ergonomic handle that is perfect.
In fact it is very very nice.
But I DON"T see the difference in the G19. The G19 is every bit as easy to handle as point as a Sigma or any other gun.

It doesnt slope up like a rifle, and if you really want a weird grip try a Ruger Mark. The old style Luger frame is very hard to grip right.

What I found from experience and not internet rumor is that the Glock holds and points well even with super small hands; The grips are not fat at all, and the angle is nice as well. Let's face facts, the G19 is just about a perfect handgun. Took me a few decades to figure that out.

:lol:

Joker

Bearcat
Why all the Glock hate boys. To each his own I say. I have never shot one but they must be a fine pistol from there rep. And I heard the G25 is the only pistol built to handle the .380 +P round. :lol: :lol:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
This goes out to Rev:

I've once heard the CZ-75 referred to as "The Poor Man's Sig." Not sure if that's good or bad. But when it comes to the 75B, "I wants me one!" As for Glocks, I believe basically they are a wonderful idea. But the ball was dropped during design execution. For this pistol remains too squarish, and blocky, at least in my opinion. 8)

steenroller

Bearcat
Might as well throw my $.02 in. I am one of the reformed Glock haters. I did not want a Glock because it was cool to hate them. Ended up with a Glock 27 and soon had a Glock 22 because they are accurate reliable pistols. I have traded through or still own 1911's, EAA Witness, Springfield Armory P9's, CZ75, Taurus, and several Ruger P-series. I have figured out I will always have a CZ, Ruger, 1911, and Glock if possible. There are several other quality pistols that I have not tried or owned simply because I can not afford everyone or else they are not my cup of tea. But somebody else may pick them up and do just fine with them.

There are some other lower priced pistols that I will not name that I would not own because I wonder about the reliability but I have heard some good reports on. If these allow someone to buy a pistol and enjoy shooting who might not otherwise be able to afford it then more power to them.

I have figured out that a lot of the disussion about pistol brands amounts to a Ford vs Chevy argument, which is always enertaining.

NC-P95

Bearcat
I'll go ahead and put on my firesuit and say this:

I've always been a Ruger fan... Owned most of the P series models... just lke them...still do... But I held a few Glocks a while back. I've never been a fan of "the little guns", and to my amazement, the Glock 27 fit me like a glove...... SO, I bought one, used this past week... Should be receiving it this coming week... Can't wait fire it!

If you want to see a great shooter, shooting Glocks and giving great info on the brand and different models, click the image in my signature...

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
This is pretty simple;

1. Conrad made an observation that i think lots of people do. No bashing, just an observation on a Ruger forum about another popular brand.

2. Mr. ArmedinAZ decided to show his lack of manners and say something assinine like "so dont buy a Glock" or something to that effect. Uncalled for BS. Lots of bored people with nothing to do buy try to incite trouble.

And thats the way it is.

welder

Buckeye
What I found from experience and not internet rumor is that the Glock holds and points well even with super small hands; The grips are not fat at all, and the angle is nice as well. Let's face facts, the G19 is just about a perfect handgun. Took me a few decades to figure that out.QUOTE

Add me to that list. I was gonna sit this one out, (been played here before many times), but then this post. I agree with the above quote and might add, Glock is the gold standard of reliability, like it or not. Last time I checked, seven hand gun makers were represented in my safe, some numerous times, but none is more reliable than my G19.

NC-P95

Bearcat
welder":2xc8bbzr said:
Add me to that list. I was gonna sit this one out, (been played here before many times), but then this post. I agree with the above quote and might add, Glock is the gold standard of reliability, like it or not. Last time I checked, seven hand gun makers were represented in my safe, some numerous times, but none is more reliable than my G19.

I've never had any reliability issues out of any of the P series Rugers that I've owned... that said, they were never very comfortable in my hand... I have small hands and... well you know, the girth of the P series... I hadn't handled a Glock in a few years and recently I got to handle a few... I kinda had my heart set on a 30SF, but the 27 just seemed natural in my hands......and quite a bit cheaper to shoot... So with the G27, I'm getting a more comfortable gun, in my hands, at least the reliability of my P series... with a little more snap of the .40 caliber... all in a frame that will be easier to CCW... Sounds like a winner to me... Can't wait till it arrives this week!

tkarter

Single-Sixer
The Gen 4 Glock is meant to fix that issue with the grips but the old Glock die hard koolaid drinkers see no value in it.

It may be the smartest thing Glock has done imho.

Why they did it? The XD is probably putting a lemon in the koolaide.

tk

airwin

Bearcat
It´s interesting to me which polarizing potential Glock guns still have... I think it is good, that not every gun has the same grip dimension and grip angle. So, in this wide range of different guns, every shooter will find the right one.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Cheesewhiz":2azjimdv said:
There are many pistols that deserve a cult following, 1911's, Browning HP's, Sig 200 series and CZ 75 series to name some. In my opinion, a Glock has all the personality of a sponge as most polymer pistols do, I own an SR9, it's a good gun but one striker fired polymer pistol is more than enough for me. I don't even think a Glock is still the best polymer pistol out there anymore even if I liked it's crappy grip, JMHO.
My preference for steel and wood over plastic has been well covered. That said, I've owned four Glocks, still own one, and think they're a modern classic. There are two pistols I could probably detail strip blindfolded: A 1911 and a Glock. The designs of both are simple and elegant, without any more parts than are necessary (39 in one case and 41 in the other, I believe). They're good guns. I'd still like to see one after about 75 years of exposure to UV and ozone, but I won't be around that long.

There are "improvements" to the basic Glock design, like the XD, but I'd be hard pressed to say they were "better". Having just shopped for hi-cap .45s I tried out the XD, M&P, new Glock 21SF ("slim frame" - it's not) -- and didn't find anything that really jumped out at me. That's how I ended up with a RIA hi-cap 1911...

As for large and uncomfortable: My vote goes to the H&K USP. I really want to like this gun because of the trigger system, capacity, etc. But it feels like holding a 2x4 with squared-off edges. The $40 magazines don't help.

That's another good thing with Glocks: Aftermarket support. Cheap and plentiful parts.

But they still can't replace my Sigs. In fact, I've recently come to realize I'm more comfortable carrying my P220 than a 1911.

-- Sam

jbender

Bearcat
i dont know a lot about any other brands of guns other than ruger and glock so when i saw this about glocks i had to say something. Until i got my p95 all i had ever shot were glocks. The majority of the guys i shoot with are cops so they all have glocks. Most of the guys love them but a few cant stand them they say the grips are too big, they like metal frame guns better, etc. Personally i think they are very accurate, very good guns I just dont like the way they feel in my hand. Just my opinion

JB

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Yosemite Sam":1cv5o023 said:
That's another good thing with Glocks: Aftermarket support. Cheap and plentiful parts.

-- Sam

Sam, the parts availability on Glocks rivals that for the 1911, some are nice additions but most are just silly doo-dads, ya ever see one of those halfmoon rear sights for a Glock? I about laughed my a$$ off when I saw one at the range. There are some gun owners that will buy anything.

I don't care for the Glock grip and I have large hands but as Airwin said thats why they make different guns.
My only real gripes with Glock are that the good doctor had to invent a round that was named after himself (.45GAP) that is not an improvement on the .45 ACP whatsoever and sights that tend to break fairly easy.

ConradM

Blackhawk
sicboy13":28plbqsd said:
I've never held a Glock, but from the pics I've seen, they look like a Volvo. Boxy.

You know, aside from the way they feel in my hand, which is weird... I couldn't stand looking at one everyday.

Latest posts