headed to the sheriffs office today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've got to drop off a copy of a video of a guy stealing a trailer at our church to a deputy today and she gave me directions to just tell the people at the metal detector what I was doing and I realized before I go in I need to strip down... I mean obviously I won't be carrying but I also need to remember to remove any of the other metal objects I have on my person every day. Not only a Swiss army knife and tape measure but a Gerber multi tool and my bottle of nitroglycerin tablets and the spare magazine... now that I think about it... will copper set off a metal doctor... I have two sheets of copper in my wallet to protect my credit cards from one of those scanners....

In thinking about this, wife and I had to go to the new county office building back on October to apply for absentee voting and we went through what looked like a set of metal detectors to get in the building and I did not set them off... but there were two deputies sitting behind a counter looking at a monitor as we came in. I'm thinking these new machines are not so much metal doctors as scanners that can see what you have hidden on your person.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
Newer Weapons Detection Tech is pretty accurate. But it's all in the training of the humans monitoring it. I'm familiar with the EVOLV system. As a subject passes through it will visually identify "weapons" of all types and disregard other objects. Your copper will not alert the system as a weapon or threat, but could be seen. I have lots of metal in my neck/back and knees. I often activate older audible and xray types at court houses and airports. But not the new generation scanners. The monitors have unbelievable detail. One system you could read the lettering on a firearm. They have come a long way from the old types of detectors.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I have walked into the courthouse/ sheriff's office, emptied my pockets, removed my belt and still set off the detector.
After remembering my steel toed shoes, the deputy said "No, this was something higher." Another deputy deployed a hand scanner and found brass fitting in my coat pocket.
The technology is evolving.

Joe Reilly

Single-Sixer
I have walked into the courthouse/ sheriff's office, emptied my pockets, removed my belt and still set off the detector.
After remembering my steel toed shoes, the deputy said "No, this was something higher." Another deputy deployed a hand scanner and found brass fitting in my coat pocket.
The technology is evolving.
That's where that fitting went, now I can fix the shower faucet😎.

I've felt for years the TSA person looking at the monitor as your carry on bag is going through is just for show... there has to be a computer actually looking at the stuff .... A.I. is much better at seeing things than any person.

I once got "busted" by TSA in OKA for a "gun shaped charm" I had picked up a year earlier at SHOT Show. It was in my portfolio next to a ballpoint pen. (size comparison?) I all about got strip searched. The old "battle axe" who questioned it said, "It belongs to that guy with the beard in the camouflaged pants" (pointing out Tyrone) to which I responded "NO HELL IT IS MINE! What's the problem?" Now remember, I had already been through TSA in Charlotte with that portfolio earlier that day and the portfolio and its contents weren't a problem. (We were just changing planes, but due to construction, we were being bussed to another terminal on the airport, which precipitated the extra TSA screening.) That means, off the airplane, into the bus (no contact with the outside world), and into the backdoor of the alternate terminal, and onto another plane.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Off topic a little bit...
1990, I was playing around with a couple of buddies, seeing who could roll a small tire across the yard with the lowest number of 12 gauge shells.
We learned slugs knocked the tire over, buckshot tended to knock it off course, and birdshot worked pretty well if you hit the top of the tire.
We all had pockets full of shells. We were all recently discharged Marines. I was wearing a camo field jacket.
A couple months later, I was flying to Pennsylvania for a wedding, I woke up late. It was cold outside, so when I got in the truck, I threw that field jacket on. I raced the 15 miles to the airport, parked the truck, grabbed my bag, and ran into the terminal. My bag went through, but they stopped me.
I had 4 slugs and 2 buckshot in my pocket. They were all kind of dumb looking, with their mouths hanging open like that.
I didn't think it was so unusual. I told them they could have the shells, grabbed my bag and ran to the gate.
I don't think I would get away with that now.

Latest posts