Finally finished the project Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Finally finished with my project Single Six. Removed the barrel billboard, installed the 'birdshead' grip, the Bisley hammer, the Bisley trigger, and the 'one hole' sight. What to do next? :roll: :roll:

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Shoot it. Looks great, I'd love to hear your impressions and thoughts on the one hole rear sight. I've been thinking to try one.

pete44ru

Hunter

Nice work - I replaced the EJ rod with a crescent-headed version, similar to the one below.

No.jpg

Perhaps I'll do a 'flattop' mod on it. Need to do a little grinding on the bumps in the frame to get the sight to lay flat. Found that the sight from a MK III Target doesn't have the 'bump' so will probably use that.

Just curious...does it fully extract an empty? It's a touch I like on SA's. I'm still working on my SBH; less than 1/8" to go. I'll shorten the cylinder pin a bit more and reshape the underside of the ejector button and I'll be there.

mike campbell said:
Just curious...does it fully extract an empty? It's a touch I like on SA's. I'm still working on my SBH; less than 1/8" to go. I'll shorten the cylinder pin a bit more and reshape the underside of the ejector button and I'll be there.
I assume you are speaking of my SS. I haven't shortened the barrel or the extractor; it is still a 4.62" barrel

Fox Mike said:
mike campbell said:
I assume you are speaking of my SS. I haven't shortened the barrel or the extractor; it is still a 4.62" barrel

Yes. I don't own a rimfire myself, so I don't know if they fully extract. If it has a magnum cylinder, I suspect it fully extracts the .22LR's (?).

I have an OM .44BH and a newer 5.5" .44SBH and never gave much thought to the fact they don't completely extract the case. Then I got a Lipsey .45 convertible and found that the short 45ACP case completely extracts with nearly .5" of rod to spare....I really like that.

So, in the course of tweaking my SBH...removing the paragraph, making new grips, installing a Bisley hammer, blue pins & screws, reshaping the front post and adding a trigger stop screw...I decided I wanted full extraction. It's kinda nice never having to stop to pluck an empty.

roylt

Hunter
I must be missing something. The extractor has to go past the cylinder to push the case out. Also the barrel length has little to do with the extractor because the extractor is still the same length the barrel is just longer. Unless of course you have a snub nose with a short barrel then the extractor has to be a bit shorter too.

The extractor button stops when it hits the end of the cylinder pin. On a factory SBH, when the extractor button hits the pin and stops, about 1/2" of case remains in the cylinder. I've shortened the gripping knob on the pin so the button travels further and now only 1/8" of case remains in the cylinder. By shortening knob on the pin it a bit more, and by removing metal from the bottom of the button, I think I can gain enough more travel that the rod will push the fired case completely clear of the cylinder.

mc1911

Bearcat
I purchased some Ruger ejector rods for the 10.5 inch Super Blackhawks. I trimmed one to fit my 45 flat top but was able to make it about 1/8 inch longer than the stock part. It lifts the 45 Colt cases completely out of the cylinder and does not interfere with changing cylinders.

This was after shortening the front of the cylinder base pin.