Do you use copper solvent?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AZshooter

Bearcat
Olsherm said:
Got to have a little humor here. I scrape the copper after it builds up really heavy and sell it to the scrap yard. Brings a pretty good price now. HA HA I have better luck selling the lead on the forum here to all the bullet shooters.
Just funning. Hey! i have three large billets of lead each weighs about 85 pounds. They are about 24 inches long,5 ins high,6 inches thick. Anyone got any idea how to carve up in small pieces so I can get it into my small Lee pot??I tried the power saw.(*(*(*%$% May have to resort to a good hatchet?

I have large bars of lead that were originally buried for use as a grounding rods for some electrical utility use.

I simply hang them over the edge of a low stool & heat the end with a propane torch, I melt it into either the hot lead pot for immediate use, or into an ingot mould to use later.

I've found that trying to cut or hack it with anything is sheer folly.

sebtool

Blackhawk
You could probably use a coarse tooth band saw blade with flood coolant, or a type of blade wax to keep it from building up. Variable pitch 3/5,4/6 or maybe a woodworking blade, as long as the teeth are raked to create blade clearance. Using coolant should keep any fumes/particles from causing any health problems, but it sure couldn't hurt to wear a mask.
The key would be to run the blade slow, at a metal cutting speed to keep the heat down, similar to cutting unheat treated aluminum, which is gummy as heck!

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Olsherm said:
Got to have a little humor here. I scrape the copper after it builds up really heavy and sell it to the scrap yard. Brings a pretty good price now. HA HA I have better luck selling the lead on the forum here to all the bullet shooters.
Just funning. Hey! i have three large billets of lead each weighs about 85 pounds. They are about 24 inches long,5 ins high,6 inches thick. Anyone got any idea how to carve up in small pieces so I can get it into my small Lee pot??I tried the power saw.(*(*(*%$% May have to resort to a good hatchet?

You're close...An axe powered by a big hammer is my method :shock: (Obviously a double bitted axe won't work! :lol: ) May take a little time beating the back of that axe, but you'll eventually cut off manageable hunks to fit in your pot... :wink: