Copper primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My memory is failing. I was cleaning up the bench this weekend and found some 38spl wadcutters I guess I had reloaded years ago. The box was one of the wallet type, I used them when I was out camping and doing my desert walks in the 70's and 80's. I think they hold about 24 rounds, something like that. The part of this story I am curious about is, they had a copper colored primer like the military used, and I don't remember having in a very long time. Yes these were reloads, cases showed resizing and they were different head stamps. Anybody remember using these type primers and how long ago that was?

... they had a copper colored primer like the military used, and I don't remember having in a very long time. Yes these were reloads, cases showed resizing and they were different head stamps. Anybody remember using these type primers and how long ago that was?

Seems like I got the impression many years ago, that at least some copper colored primers are Remington production. So I checked what I have on the shelf, and my Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers are silver colored, but my 7 1/2 small rifle benchrest & 9 1/2 large rifle primers are copper colored (don't remember actually using either of those, but nice to have them!). So maybe Remington also made copper colored small pistol primers.
:)

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Winchester primers haven't been plated for quite a while. I think that went away with the old white boxes. Winchesters on their second or third blue boxes now.

image.jpg image.jpg

These are what caused the mystery

Last edited:

Latest posts