What do you use for home rolled ammo ID

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Once again computer is smarter than I am. I tried to attach a spreadsheet I use to make ID cards for my hand loads. It took me forever to get this all correct and in the right size that I wanted. For the reverse side I have cost calculations just so I can smile as I am busy making loaded rounds into empty brass. Apparently I can't attach the 2 spread sheets, (front and back) but would e-mail them if anyone wants to make their own using my templates. I usually just cut up old file folders and print onto these, and use a paper cutter to make them into small cards that fit in the plastic ammo boxes. Anything I load for family II usually put into empty factory boxes. With these I use clear tape and put them right onto the face of the box.

So what are you guys using? Show an example if you can.

This is what the front looks like with 14 per page.

Caliber:_____________Date:______________Caliber:_____________Date:______________
Bullet Type:_________Bullet Wt:__________Bullet Type:_________Bullet Wt:__________
Primer:_____________Primer:_____________
Powder:____________Powder Wt:_________Powder:____________Powder Wt:_________
Cup:_______________FT Per Second:______Cup:_______________FT Per Second:______

This is what the back looks like. I just print a few pages then flip them over and print the back side before cutting them apart.

Powder Cost:_________________________Powder Cost:_________________________
Primer Cost:__________________________Primer Cost:__________________________
Bullet Cost:___________________________Bullet Cost:___________________________
Total Cost Per Round:__________________Total Cost Per Round:__________________
Total Cost Per Box:$__________________Total Cost Per Box:$__________________

Last edited:
I used to buy the preprinted labels from Midway - eventually decided I didn't like doing fill-in-the-blank labels with a pen or pencil (probably my handwriting). Now I just type everything into a word processor (caliber, bullet, case, primer, etc.), and set the font small enough so all the info (top to bottom) fits within a single width of transparent packaging tape. Using double columns, you can get 10-12 labels per sheet of paper; chop 'em out, tape 'em on, good to go!

1691709917747.png

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:
I used to buy the preprinted labels from Midway - eventually decided I didn't like doing fill-in-the-blank labels with a pen or pencil (probably my handwriting). Now I just type everything into a word processor (caliber, bullet, case, primer, etc.), and set the font small enough so all the info (top to bottom) fits within a single width of transparent packaging tape. Using double columns, you can get 10-12 labels per sheet of paper; chop 'em out, tape 'em on, good to go!

View attachment 27205

No date on there or do you hand write it on?

I rarely store reloaded ammo in factory boxes--more often metal ammo cans, MTM plastic boxes, or whatever sealable plastic container I can repurpose. Grouch Attack used to bring home empty 1.5 & 2 gallon white plastic buckets with a rubber ring seal lid. These hold MANY 9mm or .223 cartridges and the white plastic is easy to write on with a Sharpie. They even hold up to stacking 3-4 high.
The 40mm military boxes are good but can become immovable when full.

Reactions: LAH
No date on there or do you hand write it on?

I also keep a journal or log book, with more details - date, bullet manufacturer, whether bullets have been weighed &/or sized, case headstamp info (including font, etc. if there are variations), case weight, case source &/or number of times fired, percent of propellant charges that were weighed, propellant charge variation if 100% weighed, crimp used, source(s) of load data, etc., etc. PLUS actual performance in specific firearms once I've tried a load at the range. That .44 wadcutter load is a first time trial, using bullets I forgot I had and a recommended accuracy load out of an older Lyman handbook. I was planning to try them out right after I loaded them, but got sucked into a 'home improvement' project that's been eating up my summer!

Last edited:

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I do it a couple of different ways. I make a label on a spread sheet and just print off a bunch of them leaving a blank if I want to add a date. The other thing I have been doonf lately is using old business cards and writing the data on the backside and using wide tape to tape them to the underside of the top of a plastic case. I also cut up the boxes from primers and 22 ammo to use this way. I have become paranoid about putting anything ammo related in my recycling bin as we take it to a center and it gets sorted by actual humans who could figure out quickly what I do with my spare time.

The tape pulls off quickly if I need to ammo box for a different load.

Last edited:

KurtC

Single-Sixer
I use these kits. The boxes are smaller than plastic cases and they come with sheets of labels that fit in standard printers.

DGW1949

Hunter
I like keeping things as simple as possible. My reloads are put into small freezer bags which are stored in metal ammo cans. Freezer bags already have a place for writing content. Small hand printed labels gets peeled off of a sheet, then put on the tops and one end of each can. I've been doing this stuff so long that I long ago settled on one load for any certain caliber. In other words, it don't take a lot of writing to ID what's in the bags and cans, so the labels on each are purty-dern basic....Being's how I only got the one load per caliber, and being's how the load info is already referenced in the manual(s) I use, there's really nothing needed but the number of rounds and cartridge designation on the label....(500) 9MM-124 NATO, (350) .45ACP Ball, and so on...easy-peazy, no big billboard needed.

DGW

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
I use Avery Labels and a word processing program. I've been shooting the same 9 mm reload for years so most of the time I only have to pen and ink the label to change the date. Same with other calibers

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Use the stick on file labels and write the load data on the label and also number of times reloaded on rifle ammo. The rifle ammo is mostly in 50 round boxes with a few old style 20 round plastic boxes. Most of my pistol shooting is 45 ACP and just re-use the factory box with the plastic try and cardboard sleeve.

I hate sticking labels on the boxes, so just put one of my cards in each box. Here is the actual size of them in 50 round boxes. Using a little heavier paper like the old file folders, helps to keep them from blowing away when the box is open while grabbing more ammo in the field. I also keep the old ones when the box is empty. Makes it easy to go back and use the same recipe. In the back of my mind a big part of being vigilant about labeling is the "what if" factor. What if I checked out tomorrow---I want any friends or family that end up with my stuff to know what it is so they can feel confident about shooting it and not having too knock it all out of the case to start over..

Before you snicker about the pink bullets---there is a reason. Check out the load data. The pink makes them very easy to identify for wife or girls out shooting with me. These are also pretty soft on my hands when I want to put a bunch through the airweights.

Last edited:

Latest posts