What do you use for home rolled ammo ID

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KurtC

Single-Sixer
I've been handloading for 4 decades and I've never understood why folks need to put the date on the label. I mean, how long do you plan on saving the ammo? Is there some amount of time that you consider it unsafe to use? It can't spoil during your lifetime, or are you saving it for your great-grandchildren? ;)

'I mean, how long do you plan on saving the ammo? Is there some amount of time that you consider it unsafe to use? It can't spoil during your lifetime, or are you saving it for your great-grandchildren?'
Possibly. I don't expect to live forever. Dating the ammo(even new factory loads) allows using older loads first. I'm shooting handloads assembled last century now.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I've been handloading for 4 decades and I've never understood why folks need to put the date on the label. I mean, how long do you plan on saving the ammo? Is there some amount of time that you consider it unsafe to use? It can't spoil during your lifetime, or are you saving it for your great-grandchildren? ;)
Tells me what era in my career I was in, possibly what equipment I was using, what my tendencies were at the time.

For me I use painter's tape with Sharpie notes and sometimes (rarely any more), printed adhesive labels.

Depends on the mood.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I date my reloads so that I can rotate my brass. When empty, I place the oldest brass t be reloaded first. So a box of heavy magnum velocity stuff might not come up in rotation as frequently as the more sedate rounds.

And, just because that's the info I like to have on my ammunition boxes. Reason enough.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
And another thing....................I keep track of how many times a box has been reloaded. I load magnum velocity loads up to ten times, then after that use the brash for moderate velocity loadings. Defense loads get loaded only a four time cycle.

Bob Wright

'I mean, how long do you plan on saving the ammo? Is there some amount of time that you consider it unsafe to use? It can't spoil during your lifetime, or are you saving it for your great-grandchildren?'
Possibly. I don't expect to live forever. Dating the ammo(even new factory loads) allows using older loads first. I'm shooting handloads assembled last century now.

Starting maybe 30 years ago, I put my own date codes (rather than dates) on factory ammo and reloads I don't plan to use immediately. If I sell a firearm and no longer need the ammo (happened a lot when I was downsizing during the covid/election panic), a four character code is less likely to put off the new owners, than an obvious date. Most experienced gun owners know that there's probably nothing wrong with ammo that's been properly stored, even for decades, but not everyone is an experienced gun owner.

As always FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

moparclan

Single-Sixer
I use the labels that come with the Dillon boxes, just slip them inside the box and don't glue them to the outside. 40+ years, why change now?

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I've used this label since I got my first dot matrix that would print on standard Avery 5267 labels.

Attachments

• reload_label.jpg
    reload_label.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 52

LAH

Buckeye
For handgun ammo I just throw a note in the can with the loads. Most rifle loads I use the ton of labels Sierra gave me on the last tour.

I guess I go the cheap way.
A strip of blue painters tape on the outside with whatever info I want to remember.
I used to use regular masking tape but it was hard to remove if left on the box too long and also left a glue residue..

Rclark

Hunter
Plastic boxes come with label, so just write on that with pencil. Erase and change as needed. Not rocket science :) .

Greenjoytj

Bearcat
Avery 2" x 4" label item # 06468. These remove cleanly from MTM 50 rd. ammo boxes.

Don't use Avery label item # 8163 theses have permanent glue that require solvents to remove the glue residue from the MTM ammo boxes.

Avery has a server based app on their web site the lets you make a custom design label.
The app used to be downloadable but I guess the server base version is easier to keep current.

Once you design your label sheet layout just have your all in one printer scanner make copies onto Avery #06468 label sheets.

Reactions: LAH

Latest posts