Blackhawk 327X8

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
While I've sometimes been accused of having the attention span of a goldfish, I sometimes find something interesting to get and hold then come back to. When I was first introduced to the 327 and its possibilities, I jumped in and ordered the then-current production Stainless Eight Shot Blackhawk in 327. After some initial (very limited) testing, it languished in its pretty grey plastic box for a while as other projects attracted my attention, but I have dragged it back out now and am starting to get interested again.

A quick perusal of the forum and of Gun Broker has me wondering how long it was in production and how many were actually made... it seems to have disappeared faster than a fried chicken leg at a Baptist picnic! I see none for sale and no mention of anyone shooting the ones they have. How about it? Does anyone have one they are shooting regularly? Does anyone know anything about production numbers and dates? "Inquiring minds..."

TIA ~ Froggie

There are a few people who have them here. I've got one and would love to find out how many were made. If you are thinking of selling your's make sure you ask enough for it. I bet they don't make any more of 'em.

sandman228

Single-Sixer
I wanted the Blackhawk in 327 back when the 327 fed was a fairly new caliber I ended up with the gp100 instead . I don't shoot it much anymore since I bought my 7.5 inch single seven a year or so ago . I know theres not a lot of gp100's in this caliber out there either I see them pulling big bucks on gun broker , ive advertised mine for half as much a time or 2 in a local classified but didn't get any takers .

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:
There are a few people who have them here. I've got one and would love to find out how many were made. If you are thinking of selling your's make sure you ask enough for it. I bet they don't make any more of 'em.

After I made the unforgivable mistake of selling my Ruger/Buckeye 32 Combo Blackhawk years ago, I will have to think long and hard before even considering selling this one. There are only a few guns I've sold that I truly regret not having now, but that one is at the very top of the short list!

I'm wondering whether there is anyone on this forum with access to production numbers, or anywhere that such in inquiry could be made. It seems like this info would be valuable to collectors, but it may be some sort of corporate secret.

Froggie

contender

Ruger Guru
Corporate doesn't ever publish production numbers.
We get good ideas from reported info by members here who help the RENE keep up with such stuff.
I happen to have the same gun you have, and I also know that there was a two-toned variation that came out.
Mine isn't for sale.

A two toned version? Hmmm. I've never even seen an internet picture of one. Wonder what those are worth?

Mine by the way, is one of the more accurate revolvers I own.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The original all stainless model was only available with 5 1/2" barrel and is reported to have had one production run in the introduction year, although cataloged longer while distributors/dealers still had some in inventory. They were not fast sellers. They weren't enough made to even update the Ruger serial # website with them.

Most feel the large frame is too-heavy-for-caliber and wanted a mid frame or small single six frame. The .327 Single 7 replaced them and has been a big hit.

My friend, the OP Green Frog, will have the date on his fired cartridge envelope that came with his gun.

The two tone version was after the end of production and what's known as a 'clean-up' version, left over parts assembled and shipped out the door. From what I've heard, there were only 10 to 12 of them at the time. Stainless with blue cylinders and barrels if I recall correctly or maybe just cylinders or maybe both. Reports of them were sketchy.

I just check and my gun came with a test fired case dated 12/22/2009. I suppose I must have bought it in the spring of 2010. I know I bought my .327 SP101 in May of 2010.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
The original all stainless model was only available with 5 1/2" barrel and is reported to have had one production run in the introduction year, although cataloged longer while distributors/dealers still had some in inventory. They were not fast sellers. They weren't enough made to even update the Ruger serial # website with them.

Most feel the large frame is too-heavy-for-caliber and wanted a mid frame or small single six frame. The .327 Single 7 replaced them and has been a big hit.

My friend, the OP Green Frog, will have the date on his fired cartridge envelope that came with his gun.

The two tone version was after the end of production and what's known as a 'clean-up' version, left over parts assembled and shipped out the. From what I've heard, there were only 10 to 12 of them at the time. Stainless with blue cylinders and barrels if I recall correctly or maybe just cylinders or maybe both. Reports of them were sketchy.

Hondo44, you have forgotten how poor my organizational skills are! :mrgreen: I noticed the other day that the envelope for the fired cartridge is no longer in the case (nor yet any of the papers.) :oops: I have a place to start looking, but am not too hopeful. I wonder if we could get folks to post truncated serial numbers so we could at least try to establish a range? I'll go look for my SN and the fired cartridge envelope after supper and try to post what I find this evening.

Froggie

32shooter

Blackhawk
I did get one of the two-toned guns. Date on envelope is 3/13. And it does get its turn at being shot.
Kevin, here is a pic for you.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it'll be hard to get a good idea of the numbers due to the fact that Ruger used number with the same prefix as the .357. It'll take a long time of folks submitting their number, getting a tally & then it'll still be "open" due to not having factory info. Just look at the RENE & you will see similar things in other guns.
God bless Chad for all the work done on others like this for the RENE.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
32shooter said:
I did get one of the two-toned guns. Date on envelope is 3/13. And it does get its turn at being shot.
Kevin, here is a pic for you.

That one looks great!! Who did the grips? Grashorn? I may have to get all stainless 327 out and spray paint black the cylinder and ejector housing to make it look the same!! :p

32shooter

Blackhawk
Thanks Toroflow. Not sure who did the grips. I bought them off of someone here on the forum. I think they may have been Grashorn. That just might work with the black paint. Post some pics when you get it done!! :lol: :lol:

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
OK, this just hit me. AFAIK, Ruger never made a blued, 8-shot Blackhawk. What was that cylinder "left over" from? Is it a 6-shot cylinder left from the old Buckeye Special run of the '90s, something custom-bored for the sole purpose of using up the other parts, or what? How many chambers? Although I am "satisfied" with my 8-shooter, I would really like to have had the opportunity to own a "regular" 6-shot revolver. JMHO, of course, but then again I'm sort of old school. ;)

Froggie

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Bump up toward the surface. Still wondering about particulars of those elusive "pinto" 327s. Also would be curious about how many of them are out there (both those being shot and those stashed away as "investments.")

Froggie

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Green Frog said:
OK, this just hit me. AFAIK, Ruger never made a blued, 8-shot Blackhawk. What was that cylinder "left over" from? Is it a 6-shot cylinder left from the old Buckeye Special run of the '90s, something custom-bored for the sole purpose of using up the other parts, or what? How many chambers? Although I am "satisfied" with my 8-shooter, I would really like to have had the opportunity to own a "regular" 6-shot revolver. JMHO, of course, but then again I'm sort of old school. ;)

Froggie

Hi Charlie,

You're correct, Ruger did not make a blued version. The blue 327 cyls are 8 shot by counting the futes and notches in the photo above. The "Buckeye" BHs are 6 shot and only chambered for the 32 H&R.

Therefore I'm quite sure the blue cyls were not "left over". I highly suspect, because it's not the first time it's happened at Ruger, that the employee chambering .327 cyls mistook carbon steel cyl blanks for SS blanks and machined them into .327 8 shot cyls. But Ruger doesn't scrap good parts and there were plenty of generic large frame SS frames for other models to assemble the 10 or 12 mistake cyls into "clean up" guns and sell them. The blue ER housing was probably just a cosmetic addition, because they are generic and there would be planty in SS on hand at Ruger.

Your best plan for a 6 shot 327 cyl for your gun is a Buckeye 32 H&R cyl reamed the additional 1/10" to 327. I've done several. It won't be SS but can be stripped and have a satin finish applied. Then it will match your SS gun exactly. But your chances of finding the cyl are slim to none, and Slim left town a long time ago.

The next best plan, only realistic plan, and cheapest plan would be to pick up a 30 caliber cyl and re-chamber to 327. Yes, the back half of the chambers will be slightly oversize by about .006" per side but acceptable. And the chamber shoulder will be a little extra long but still plenty of cyl throat for accuracy. And again not a problem since the 327 is a rimmed case. Also only available in blue, I think, but again, you could strip and apply a satin finish as above.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Jim,

Thanks for your thoughtful and informative (as always) reply. I was sort of engaging in a little "grass is always greener" flight of fancy... if I had never been so stupid as to sell my 32-20/ 32 H&R Buckeye Special, it would now be reamed to 327, it would still handle 32-20 and "all would be right with the world." :oops: I know it seems like a step backwards to miss what is arguably a "lesser" gun, but the flexibility of a convertible cylinder plus the old school 6 shot capacity still appeal to me. I guess I could go another way and find a 30 Carbine BH cylinder and ream it to 32-20 then refinish it to imitate SS, I wonder how the hand and bolt stop from my 8 shooter would accept the 6 shot cylinder? Would they "play nicely" together? :?:

Actually, I wouldn't presume to alter the BH-8 since it has a significant place in Ruger lore already and will probably only continue to grow in mythic stature, but if I could just add another cylinder, convertible style... :roll:

Froggie

PS With regards to your mention of the short, limited, and seemingly unpopular production run of the BH-8, I just found out about them serendipitously near the end of their availability and quickly ordered mine from a distributor, not even knowing about the 8 shot feature, only the caliber. It seems like if Ruger actually wanted to sell the model, they could have given it a LITTLE more publicity! It's like they were ashamed of it or something. :?