Best treatment for walking pin: locktite or flaring?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bczrx

Single-Sixer
I have one significant gripe about my SP101 in .22lr [8shot] that I just got: the pin holding the front of the rear sight leaf in place walks to the right within 4 rounds.

Should I just 'locktite' it with blue?

Or should I use my pin punches and flare the ends of the pin so they don't walk?

I am fairly skilled at some of this gunsmithing stuff, but don't want to do what isn't necessary.

thanks

tek4260

Buckeye
Does the pin stick out on both sides of the frame? If so, just flare the left ever so slightly and see if it stops it. Sounds like a 3 handed job :)

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
+1 to contender. This is what I always do.

Pull the pin out. Whack the middle of it so ever lightly with a ball peen hammer on an anvil or back of a vice. Put it back in there. It should hold fast.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Third option is you can slightly flatten the end of the pin with a hammer to make it tighter in the hohe. Doesn't take much. :D

...Jimbo

Flash

Buckeye
You don't even have to pull the pin out. Just push it out half way, tap it with a light hammer and drive it back in.

Rclark

Hunter
I'll be the odd man out. I just dab a tiny bit of blue loktite on one end and problem solved (in all the revolvers I've had the pin walk). I might try the bend idea as it never even occurred to me!

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Personally, I never bend a pin period. Why not? Because I have had to spend a lot of time and effort repairing various assemblies over the years that were secured by "bent" pins. Ever try to remove a bent wrist pin on a Stevens break open shotgun that "someone" thoughtfully bent and you would understand what I mean! I understand that sight blades are easily secured this way, however, I prefer to "stake" loose pins......................Dick :wink:

Latest posts