Firing pin retainer removal SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bee-kay

Bearcat
I'd like to remove the firing pin from my Super Blackhawk and it appers to be held in position by a pin that is driven in through the loading gate, but I don't see anywhere that the pin can be driven out.
Am I missing something ?
Can someone explain how the firing pin cup can be removed if it's not retained by a pin

Thank you very much - Have a great day !

contender

Ruger Guru
The hole in the loading gate area IS the hole used to drive OUT the retaining pin. if you look VERY closely to the mainframe,, you will see where the pin end is. It's polished, and contoured to the outside of the rounded frame area. Once removed,, it's a very tricky process to properly re-install the pin to where the rounded end mates up as it was originally.

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I recall reading that in order to get the proper orientation of the pin a slot is cut in the flat end of the pin. When the pin is almost flush you use the slot to turn the pin to the correct orientation so that it blends with the polished surface.

bee-kay

Bearcat
Holey Smokes !
You're Right !!
The hole in the loading gate area IS the hole used to drive OUT the retaining pin. if you look VERY closely to the mainframe,, you will see where the pin end is. It's polished, and contoured to the outside of the rounded frame area. Once removed,, it's a very tricky process to properly re-install the pin to where the rounded end mates up as it was originally.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Another note: I think that I read somewhere that, once the pin is removed, there is a specific direction to 'bang' out the firing pin bushing. I don't think it is the obvious (to me) direction i.e. from the hammer side into the cylinder opening... ???

J.

Latest posts