Belt Mountain Base Pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
Is the Belt Mountain base pin worth it?

I suppose this is an opinion poll, I'd like to know what you think after you installed (or had one installed).

contender

Ruger Guru
Many people have purchased & use them with glowing reports. I have several, and I really like the different head design, to where removing one is easier than the factory ones. Plus,, for heavy recoiling handguns,, the screw lock helps stop base pin pull causing binding.

The biggest discussions on their good or bad potential is the way you look at cylinder alignment.
Some feel that due to tighter tolerances,, you can get less lateral play,, and better alignment of the cylinder to bore. Others worry that due to the gun's tolerances,, where a little lateral play allows a bullet to align itself is necessary, that a Belt Mtn pin MAY not allow enough lateral play for the alignment.

But many people feel the Belt Mtn pins are perfect.

I always suggest this;
Get serious about shooting your gun with the factory base pin. Then swap out the factory one with a Belt Mtn one, and test. Only YOUR gun in YOUR hands can tell you if it's an improvement or not.

But,, I do enjoy mine & haven't had any issues using them. I like the "Keith" style heads.

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
I have used them on 2 Rugers, one .45 Colt, one .44 Mag, both on Super Blackhawk frames. On the .44, the original pin was a bit sloppy when installed; the new pin removed all slop. Improved accuracy? Well, I think so, a little, but can admit it might be what I want to see. The .45 was tight with the original pin, and the Belt Mountain pin, while styled purtier, really did nothing in the way of any real improvement.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They're a very quality product. I don't use the one most are familiar with, just those with the factory style tip. I like their Colt style pins I modify and use instead of the Ruger nail head pin on the Ruger sheriff's models I own .

I've not seen any changes/improvements in accuracy with belt mtn pins. But I believe those who have.

If my pin shoots loose I fix the latch. If pin is too tight to remove easily I fit it properly. I just prefer to make the factory parts work right as designed, but that's just me. If you like the Belt Mtn pins get them and you won't be disappointed.

contender

Ruger Guru
Hondo makes some excellent points.
I didn't notice any improvement in accuracy in any of the guns I use the Belt Mtn pins in either. But in a few guns,, the Keith style head has made for an easier removal.
As for a jumping pin, I too prefer to fix the factory stuff. The screw lock for the base pin is often not necessary if the cross latch stuff is working.

Latest posts