Best Powder Measure for Unique?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Have been using an RCBS Uniflow measure for over 40 years. No complaints except when trying to measure quantities of Unique powder for handgun, anywhere from around 5 to 10 grains depending on load and caliber.
Is there a better powder measure out there that handles Unique insofar as "bridging" and throwing anywhere from .3 to .6 tenths of a grain off plus or minus?
Trying to set the Uniflow up initially, for example, 7.5 grains is a very frustrating experience. You think you have it set, then all of a sudden, it starts throwing 7.8 grains or 7.2 grains.
I don't think it is my technique, since I have no trouble with any other powder; not even Red Dot.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have a Lee Auto Disk with the adjustable charge bar (not the pro version) and it seems to very reliably throw Unique charges.
The secret seems to be to first tap the side of the powder measure to settle the powder. Then to keep it at least 1/2 full or better. Using this method I have been able to get < .1gr variation.

On my Lee Pro 1000 progressive I find that after settling the powder that I need to throw about 10 or so charges before the charge weights settle down. Once that happens I have not had any significant variation (checking every 10 rounds)

I also have a Lee Auto Disk Pro. That thing has been the biggest POS I have ever owned. I am not sure why but it continually bridges, or throws a light charge way too often for my liking. Even when it is working, the consistency is for crap (+/- up to 1.0 gr variation).

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ARE YOU USING a baffle ? Are you using the correct small throat cylinder in your UNIFLOW ?
A while back I loaded 5M rounds of ammunition with a load of 7.0grs of UNIQUE. The first two rounds were always weighed, the middle two were weighed, and the 49 and 50TH were weighed as each box was completed. NO SINGLE CHARGED VARIED AS MUCH AS 1/10gr; Not one.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Thanks Wil, I don't even know what a baffle for this measure is. How does it work and where do I get one. I guess when I bought this one over 40 years ago, there wasn't one included with it.

Yes, I am using the small throat cylinder.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I use the Uniflow with small cylinder for all my fine powders (H-110, #9, HP-38) and the Lee Perfect measure for the coarse and cylindrical powders (Universal, BlueDot, H4895, Varget). The Lee Perfect measure is cheap enough that to me it would be worth a try.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Both my Uniflo and Lee Perfect measures throw pistol sized charges of Unique at +/- 0.2 gr w/ consistent practice on my part. The Uniflo's got the large cylinder and no baffle.

Fortunately, Unique is forgiving enough I've never noticed the variation enough to get worried... if I want something that drops dead nuts I'll go to a ball powder. Both measures are boringly consistent w/ them.

Rick C

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Rick, thanks for your input. I want to do some chronographing with Unique, and I really want my charges with this powder, for the velocity measurements, to be "dead nuts" for this project.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be so picky about a few tenths of a grain here and there. And I, too, agree that the ball powders measure boringly consistent through my Uniflow.

I think I may try to get a baffle for my Uniflow PLUS see if the Lee Auto Disk is something I can use as well per.

Rclark

Hunter
When Chronographing, I measure every load on a scale. If powder measure throws a load over what it should be, it goes back in the hopper. If under, I trickle it up to the right weight and cap with bullet. Yes, it takes a bit longer but worth it. Load up 15 per test. Normally I'll only do spot checks with the scale ... but not chronograph testing.

Seems my Hornady powder measure works fine with Unique. Once in awhile it will 'bridge' and I'll get less (lot less) in the case. Easy to spot though and dump, redo. I use the large cylinder.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Rclark, same for me as for chronographing loads. I like to weigh every charge as it comes from the Uniflow. It so happens though, with Unique in my Uniflow, about every third charge coming out of the Uniflow is under or over what it should be; hence, my intitial question, is there a better powder measure out there for Unique. Several forum members have given me suggestions already, that I do appreciate and am already looking into.

Deadeye

Bearcat
I have 2 uniflows, one with the small cylinder and the other with the large. The smaller one I use for pistol loads 357 & 45acp the larger cylinder for Rifle such as 30-06.. I find the Uniflows to be very accurate without deviation with powders such as W231.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I use a Uniflow with Unique usingthe small (handgun) cylinder and the baffle. I bought the Baggle as an RCBS acessory years ago, I assume they still sell them? The baffle is essential to getting good results with Unique in my opinion.

Cholo

Staff member
I use a Uniflow with a baffle. I also"settle" the powder by very gently tapping the hopper with a small hammer or wrench before throwing charges for the weight I want. I rap the handle up and down with authority, and it's exactly the same every time or I dump it back into the hopper.

Unique can be thrown with pretty good consistancy if you do your part.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
My experience mirrors yours, RCBS' Uniflow does not measure Unique with uniformity. My results usually run +- 0.2 gr. A constant irritant to be sure. I switched to Winchester 231 or HP38 to get around Unique's peculiarities, and with equal or better accuracy too. I"ve tried Unique through a MEC shotgun loader, a cpl of Lyman 55's, the RCBS Uniflow with rifle and pistol drums, as well as a cpl of Dillon 550B's and for a short while, Lee's Loadmaster POS.

There are better powders out there, and the 8 lbs of Unique that I have left are for emergency purposes only. HTH's Rod

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Problems with measuring Unique? Switch to Universal Clays. Same performance with better metering and cleaner burn. :D :D

DGW1949

Hunter
For 45LC practice ammo, I use an el-cheapo LEE Perfect, keep the rotor adjusted, keep the hopper over half full, and stick to mid range loads. My experience there indicates that neither my 6-gun, or the target, can tell much difference in a 7.9, a 8.0, or a 8.1 powder charge. When/if I feel the need to be more precise, I switch to weighing every charge...which I do admit, helps when firing the same 6-gun ammo out of my rifle at distance.

On a different but related note;
Sometimes, I don't bother with either. Sometimes I just use a powder dipper....which I've found, works perty-dern good in most applications.

DGW

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If with the baffle installed in your Uniflow you still get too much variation in charge weight change to Universal Clays which has almost identical performance, burn rate and economy but has smaller grain size. Universal is better than Unique in almost every way. :D

DGW1949

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
If with the baffle installed in your Uniflow you still get too much variation in charge weight change to Universal Clays which has almost identical performance, burn rate and economy but has smaller grain size. Universal is better than Unique in almost every way. :D

You could be right.....but....I'm an old dinosaur and always go with what I know works. :lol: .

DGW

Latest posts