Berry's 230 gr plated in 45 colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
I would like to try some of these. Anyone used them and to what OAL did you use? I know you have to use a lighter crimp to not cut through the plating, but wasn't sure how deep to set them in a 45 colt case. Maybe same as I do in 45 acp? That sounds like a seasonable place to start, unless someone has better idea of depth. thx triker

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I tried that out using Speer manual data. Under their standard pressure section, they have data for both cast and jacketed 230 gr bullets. IIRC, there is overlap between the two and I used a Unique charge in the middle of the overlap and the COL that they suggested (I think it was the same for both). I won't have access to the manual or my loads until the weekend, but that might get you started if you have or know someone with that manual...

Also, I seated and crimped in seperate steps, using a Hornady TC die.

A fun plinking load, don't know if I'd use it for anything too serious, but fun. I used them in my large frame 45 Blackhawk.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I think because the 45 colt is a low pressure round, unless you are going for 'Ruger only' loads, you could just use lead RNFP bullet data to set your COL. 1.580" - 1.600" :D

Rclark

Hunter
Personally I wouldn't bother to try them. Either use 200g bullets or just to 250g and 255g on up. Stick with bullets with a crimp groove and your golden. That said, if I they dropped into my lap for free, I'd shoot them.... But loaded light and no crimp (just straighten out the bell, basically a 'real' light crimp ) .

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
If you use them, I'd seat them a little deap and give a light crimp over the ogive. There's so much case volume in the Colt, you don't really have to worry about seating a bullet like that too deep unless you push it all the way down in the case right on top of the powder.

I used some 200 gr. LSWCs that were intended for the 45 ACP, seated them deep and crimped over the shoulder, and they shoot fantastic. Look a little funny, though.

DGW1949

Hunter
The 45LC cartridge likes a heavy-ish bullet and rather heavy crimp. The bullet you are speaking of aint heavy-ish and can't tolerate much crimp. That right there tells me all that I would need to know.

Just sayin'.

DGW

triker

Single-Sixer
I was just curious about trying them. Maybe should just save them for my ACP shooting. I have a better supply of MBC, 255 gr SWC for the 45 colt anyway. thx guys triker

8emem

Bearcat
I have used plated and jacketed bullets without a cannelure in 45 colt. I back off the roll crimp so that only a light crease is made in the bullet without cutting the jacket. This takes some trial and error, and I pulled some bullets from loaded rounds at the start just to be sure. I experimented with taper crimps and the recoil pulled the bullets out quite a bit by the 6th round. Same thing happened in my 625 when I tried to taper crimp 45 auto rim loads. Even when applied firmly, the taper crimp did not hold steady. I noticed the same effect with factory taper-crimped 45 acp, with less movement, but the bullets were still pulling out.

Use moderate loads with the 230 gr plated in 45 colt, like 6 gr bullseye, 7 gr w231, 8 grains unique, etc. That and a light roll crimp should minimize bullet pull-out. It's worth getting this to work, as jacketed/plated cannelure bullets for 45 colt are limited in selection (if you can even find them) and high in price compared to 45 acp.

This is why we reload. Good luck.

J Miller

Blackhawk
triker said:
I would like to try some of these. Anyone used them and to what OAL did you use? I know you have to use a lighter crimp to not cut through the plating, but wasn't sure how deep to set them in a 45 colt case. Maybe same as I do in 45 acp? That sounds like a seasonable place to start, unless someone has better idea of depth. thx triker

This forum has changed in the last year. Now we have a bunch of nay sayers discouraging nearly everything.

Load the 230gr bullet to the point that the ogive would not be below the case mouth. Then use your ACP taper crimp and put a taper crimp on the case. That's it, simple and easy.

I've used the 230 ± gr copper plated bullets, lead bullets, jacketed bullets in the longer .45 Colt cases and they've worked very well.

The .45 Colt is much more versatile than some would have you believe. You'll need to experiment with your powder charges to find what your gun likes, but more than likely you can come up with a good useable load.

Joe

slippingaway

Blackhawk
^^^ what he said. You can taper crimp them, or just put a slight roll crimp on. Don't worry about cutting through the plating, it won't hurt anything. The plating is bonded to the lead, it's not going to flake off or anything. I've loaded Rainier plated 200gr and 230gr bullets in 45 colt and they shot just fine.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I've also went as far down as 200 grn bullets in Schofield cases for shooting in my 45 Redhawk & Blackhawks, work fine.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Hey, sorry I didn't get back to this. Jimbo got you the COL I use (1.58-1.60"). My charge wound up being around 8.3 gr unique, but as Joe mentioned, you'll have to do some testing to see what works best for your gun. I tend to use the taper crimp since I've got a .45 TC die.

As mentioned also, the 45 Colt is pretty versitile. While that's not my hunting load, nor my silohuette load, I sure wouldn't hesitate to use those bullets if that is what's available and cheap (as is often the case where I live). Great for all day plinking and getting younger shooters going.