.45 LONG COLT MY PERFECT CHOICE, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I don't see how loading the Colt 45 with hot loads is much different from reloading anything else. If you do something silly as Jerryb says like ignoring the loading manuals or believing something someone's told you that may be misqouted, then you run the risk of ruining your weapon and/or yourself.

Keeping said ammo seperate to avoid using it in the wrong gun is an issue, but given we need to know what we are shooting with regards to point of aim and intended purpose, then thats just a matter of having a system. If I had several guns in the caliber, some not suited to hot loads, I would mark the brass and if feasable the bullets, a dab of paint or nail varnish, as mentioned earlier would suffice. To be really safe mark the normal loads, therefore if you screw up with your marking (i.e. forget to mark something or it rubs off etc. ) nothings going to blow up in your face, because if it has no mark it only goes in the Redhawk or similar.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
The first few things that always comes to mind when talking about Rugers in 45 Colt.

First thing is always weight for some reason. for all us that want/have a lightweight, old model ruger in 44 special, we already have just about the next best thing.

A blued BH in 45 Colt w/ a 4 5/8" barrel:

It's probably the lightest of all the cataloged BH's/SBH's.

It can shoot heavy bullets with more umph than most of us will ever need.

I am a huge 44 fan. I have shot mine more than any other gun. I can find more published reloading data that will make a bigger bang, and i dig that right now........ But, that 45 has a lot of potential. who knows?

the only valid argument i've actually read as to why the 44 over the 45 is that "hot" 44's can be shot in just about any 44. while "hot" 45 colts cannot be shot in all 45's. that carries some weight in my mind.

~c.r.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Well, I have a few .44 Magnum loads that I will only shoot in my SuperRedhawk. I Will not use them in the 629 Smith and only very sparingly in the SuperBlackhawk.
That's not exactly the same as the Ruger only .45 Colt loadings but I still kinda keep them apart because I don't want to go out to the range with a gun that I don't want to put excessive wear on only to find SRH loads are the only stuff I brought.
This stuff is very safe and would work fine in any .44, unlike a bomb fixing to happen in a weaker .45 Colt but I steer clear of the wear they will bring on a smaller .44 magnum.

TRanger

Blackhawk
Unless you are hunting bison, I don't see much need to "hot rod" the .45 Colt. With a good flat nosed heavy bullet at standard pressure, it kills deer-sized game just as well as the .44 Magnum at woods ranges (50 yards or so). At least I haven't been able to see a difference. Those who shoot over longer range could, of course, make use of higher velocity and flatter trajectory.

Rclark

Hunter
Unless you are hunting bison, I don't see much need to "hot rod" the .45 Colt
Good point ... Hunting .... Now I wonder how many here actually 'use' their big-bore handgun for hunting. I know I don't. Target shooting yes. SD yes. Packing in the woods (hiking/fishing) for 'just in case' .... In all these cases 'standard' loads (currently mine is 8.5g of Unique under 250 RNFP) should work just fine.... So where is 'petal to the metal' loads actually 'useful' other than bragging rights. Ie.... "I shoot a .44mag (or .45) with 'hot' loads<swagger> . Ears are still ringing <ha ha>. Pounds my hand tell it's numb....<grin> " ?

But then again when is 'need to "hot rod" a concern? Sometimes it's cause we want too... 'cause we can... Some times it's fun! Does there have to be a 'reason'? Ha! Why be 'sensible'! :p .

flatgate

Hawkeye
Why do I have large valves in the cylinder heads on my 350?
Why do I use "flat topped" pistons that produce higher compression ratios?
Why do I have a Holley 4 Barrel carburetor?
Why do I have a "high performance" camshaft?
Why do I have headers on the exhaust system?

'cause it's better that way!

:D

flatgate

hutchman

Blackhawk
flatgate":3i8sfup0 said:
.....Why do I use "flat topped" pistons that produce higher compression ratios?.......

'cause it's better that way!

:D

flatgate

Hmmmmmmmm, nothing flat about these....LOL!

L2256F.jpg

sorry, couldn't resist........back to the topic at hand.

I think a lot is being missed with my statement, I like the .45 colt because OF VERSATILITY--

1- It is an accurate enough cartridge to be used for target, in fact if used for score and x count I feel it is superior, and can do this with very mild loads AND EXTREME ACCURACY.

2- I feel it is the best defense weapon because it doesn't need to be loaded hot to stop an intruder with one shot better than , .38, .357, 9mm, ..40cal, 10mm, 45acp, even when they are loaded hot! and slightly better than .44's the bigger bores don't seem to be of any advantage? correct me if I'm wrong here?

3- and the main reason I own my .45 colt is trail, camp, and HUNTING! and the main reason I like it for this is deer are no problem at 50 to 70 yards with open sights-(about as far as I feel efficient with open sights in field conditions) if I load it HOT at the risk of offending purest's and scope it I have had no problems at 150 yards ( and probably 200yrds.) I have shot at the range but never have on game yet at 200, but usually under 7" groups at that range and am sure others are steadier than my old body can be! and am sure for self defense against dangerous game my 22.0 grains of 296 with the custom 340 grain wheel weight bullet I cast will save me without using all six in the chamber! against anything on this continent even Kodiak Island!

My point was one of versatility, and the .44 mag is in my opinion close till you heat it up and get the heavy slugs out in a sturdy gun! If we limit the gun to a size and strength of a gp-100 or 686 smith or even a Model 25 smith I'm wrong but I feel any redhawk super redhawk or old vaquero and blackhawk are what most are talking about here on this forum, Hope I am not being to opinionated here but I am trying to think of it as
V E R S A T I L I T Y!

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I think that your opinion should be the only one that counts when it comes to the caliber you like and trust the most. Certainly most of the points you make are true. Personally I prefer the .44 Magnum followed by the .41 Magnum, a caliber/ gun that I have never personally owned. Then the .45 Colt is my third choice. I own many .44s and still own a .45 Colt Bisley Blackhawk. I have shot a friend's .41 and loved the thing.
It's a personal thing, along with a logistical one. I can load all sorts of stuff for my .44s and can keep a lot more components at hand in the limited space I have than I could if I reloaded a lot for the .45.
As far as performance goes the one living creature ( a good sized white tail at around 50 yards ) I have witnessed on the receiving end of the .44's wrath dropped like it was pole axed. A bazooka could not have killed it deader. Just my opinion. Had I owned a .45 or multiple .45s sooner than the .44 all this might be reversed..

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I think the 45 Colt is great if any of the following conditions apply to you:

1) You are only using it for Cowboy style shooting and like the nostalgia it offers and you either
.....a) Reload cartridges yourself
...............or
.....b) Have lots of money to buy the very expensive factory ammo

or

2) You have a Redhawk/Blackhawk/Original Vaquero/Freedom Arms/Colt Anaconda and you like the versatility offered by the cartridge, from mild plinking to the Magnum-pressure "I'M AWAKE NOW" stuff, and you either
.............or
.....b) Have disgraceful amounts of money to spend on the Buffalo Bore loads.

If you don't fit into one of those categories, the .357 has an edge over the old 45 for everything from self defense against human assailants to medium game hunting at short range to informal target shooting. In fact, the .357 is better for self-defense in any case; factory .357 loads have more energy than factory .45 Colts, except for a few specialized loads, and nevermind the handloads--I think it's a bad idea to use homemade ammo for defense, simply because of litigation concerns.

KWYJIBO":ixxk7voj said:
I think the 45 Colt is great if any of the following conditions apply to you:

1) You are only using it for Cowboy style shooting and like the nostalgia it offers and you either
...............or
.....b) Have lots of money to buy the very expensive factory ammo

or

2) You have a Redhawk/Blackhawk/Original Vaquero/Freedom Arms/Colt Anaconda and you like the versatility offered by the cartridge, from mild plinking to the Magnum-pressure "I'M AWAKE NOW" stuff, and you either
.............or
.....b) Have disgraceful amounts of money to spend on the Buffalo Bore loads.

If you don't fit into one of those categories, the .357 has an edge over the old 45 for everything from self defense against human assailants to medium game hunting at short range to informal target shooting. In fact, the .357 is better for self-defense in any case; factory .357 loads have more energy than factory .45 Colts, except for a few specialized loads, and nevermind the handloads--I think it's a bad idea to use homemade ammo for defense, simply because of litigation concerns.

been a long time since i read a "GUNS AND AMMO" but there used to be an article written by a retired federal agent, he would write on facts and records from legal departments and their records around the country, back when Detroit Michigan had one of the largest drug problems in the world, he did a study on officers that had to use their sidearm in duty, and the results, he figured in everything, how many times the officer involved used a 9mm, used a 38 spcl. 357, used a 45acp or a .40cal. and what ammo they used, hydrashok's, w-w self defense speer lawman, etc etc, allong with bullet weight and construction, I don't recal all the cal. used but there were more than I listed.

The results were know surprise to me, they were all incidents where the oficers were being attacked, with wepons from ice picks to gun's, and usually by someone on narcotics, the one they said was the worst at the time, was pcp, and cocaine, because of the effects on the nervous system and how often these drug crazed attackers would attack them.

this was REAL LIFE REAL AGRESIVE ATTACKERS IN LIFE OR DEATH SITUATIONS, and very seldom did a 357 in these conditions did a 357 make a one shot kill, they recorded times after multiple shots with the 357 the attacker did harm to the officer using it! fact!! the single best and most proficiant round was the 200 grain 45 acp. usually with one shot the assailent was down and percentage wise the most ONE SHOT KILLS! hands down,

It had little to do with how hot the load is, 30 years ago I used a 357 to hunt deer, if it was over 70 yards, I was not very happy with the results, but it was the only magnum I owned, it did not kill deer as good as my 45 colt, and at that time my 45 colt was an old arminus, a very cheaply made copy of the colt SAA. so the loads were not hot or +p but believe me at 25 yards the rsults were as good and over 50 it was much better as a killing gun, there are enough shooters who have hunted aything bigger than a ground hog to know that any .44 spcl mag, 45 colt 41 mag you name the load it don't have to be hot as full house 357's to kill better and quicker, energy means little and for the 357 to kill anything that breaths better tha a 45 colt or acp for that matter it better be a very precisly placed shot. and the 45 a near miss!!!!!!!!!

The 9mm is the most widly used law enforcement wepon of the times, because of capacity and most can handel its recoil, that is all it has going for it!!!!!

I will take a big bore anyday over the 357 if my life is at stake!!!

I am not saying the 357 is not a good self defence load, but lets be real, if the person using it can handel a 41,44, or 45 as well, he has the edge proven time and time again!!!! The problem is there are a lot more people that can accuratly handel a 357 than there are that can handel accuratly the 45!

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Good points on the shooter's ability to handle the recoil of a given load, Wildcatter. I agree that if you can control a gun shooting bigger/faster bullets and get it on target, you are better off. And I certainly won't dispute what your hunting experience has taught you. My main point is that 45 Colt factory loads are quite mild (because manufacturers are afraid of the liability when someone puts them in an old Colt revolver). The .357 self-defense loads have more energy--and better bullet designs--than most 45 Colt factory loads. I know it is easy to make hunting rounds in 45 Colt that surpass the energy of any .357, and I'm sure you had good experiences with even the low-power stuff back in the day. When my life is on the line and I may have to defend my choices later in court, I want a .357 (or a .45 ACP) loaded with good factory ammo.

I love the .45 Colt, and find it to be quite versatile, but I don't think it's a good choice for personal defense.

TRanger

Blackhawk
If energy figures alone are to be believed, the 22/250 is a better killer than the 45/70. The standard pressure .45 Colt is never and has never been a bad choice for personal defense.

kooz

Blackhawk
When my life is on the line and I may have to defend my choices later in court, I want a .357 (or a .45 ACP) loaded with good factory ammo.

I think this is another wifes tale, I have never heard of a single case of someone having problems from using reloads to defend themselves. I hear the words echoed in many forums and articals, and in many of the defensive handgun courses I have taken thru the years, but have yet to actually see evidence of this "problem". Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote an artical a few years ago in Shooting Times saying that this was a wifes tale as well and said he had never heard of it being a problem and challanged any of the readers to please come forth with documented cases, and he would do an article covering these cases, but he never got any input. Does anyone here have any hard evidence of this "reloads for self defense problem" ?

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I don't believe that reloads would be a factor in a defensive shooting either. As a matter of fact I will soon obtain a concealed carry permit and I intend to carry reloaded .44 specials in a Smith 624 Lew Horton. It's one of those situations where if, God forbid, I needed to use the weapon I will worry about the fallout later. When, hopefully I am still alive.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
TRanger":189usz9a said:
If energy figures alone are to be believed, the 22/250 is a better killer than the 45/70. The standard pressure .45 Colt is never and has never been a bad choice for personal defense.

So a .22-250 will give complete penetration on a bison? :D

M'BOGO

Buckeye
kooz":2076vvba said:
When my life is on the line and I may have to defend my choices later in court, I want a .357 (or a .45 ACP) loaded with good factory ammo.

I think this is another wifes tale, I have never heard of a single case of someone having problems from using reloads to defend themselves. I hear the words echoed in many forums and articals, and in many of the defensive handgun courses I have taken thru the years, but have yet to actually see evidence of this "problem". Sheriff Jim Wilson wrote an artical a few years ago in Shooting Times saying that this was a wifes tale as well and said he had never heard of it being a problem and challanged any of the readers to please come forth with documented cases, and he would do an article covering these cases, but he never got any input. Does anyone here have any hard evidence of this "reloads for self defense problem" ?

$0.02
Good marketing strategy though.....

raven5

Bearcat
.45's are my favorite caliber as well. I love the .45 Colt and .45 ACP. Both do their job well and can cover a wide range of uses, loaded properly for the job at hand of course.

A few observations and points which are part my opinion, general wisdom, and part fact:

1) Speaking of self defense loads and loadings, I don't believe it's necessary to have a large caliber (i.e. 40 caliber and up, and the larger the caliber maybe even more so) loaded to it's max capability to achieve adequate and superlative stopping results on human targets
2) To expand on #1 a little, the .45 ACP is arguably the finest stopping cartridge out there. Not saying others out and out suck, but it makes a bigger hole. Period. And as far a incapacitation goes, a bigger hole is a bigger hole. Remember, a 9mm or .40 caliber (or other smaller calibers) MAY expand to .45 caliber; nothing guaranteed. A .45 already is .45 caliber. :wink:
3) When people speak of the .45 Colt and powerful loads for it for self defense against two-legged intruders and such this makes me scratch my head. Those original black powder loadings of 255 gr at 1000 fps pack a much larger whollup over standard GI ball rounds for the .45 ACP. How many men has this caliber put down over the nearly 100 yrs of it's existence? Furthermore, speaking of the .45 ACP, it's standard loadings put it in the 350 ft/lbs range and it seems to have done just fine. Ask all those that died from it. :roll: Why all the accolades for it, and even the +P loadings that put it in the 500 ft/lbs range, but some of those same people speak of having to load the same caliber .45 Colt much higher for an effective round against the same intruders? Doesn't make much sense.

Check this link out. Some of you will probably get a kick out of these:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=50421&page=1

Latest posts