.45 LONG COLT MY PERFECT CHOICE, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Besides liking the cartridge, one can never have too many firearms chambered in it! I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much, the guns so chambered in it. All are generally accurate and can throw a big chunk of lead at moderate to serious velocities, capable of both fine target use and serious field application.

My Sheriff's Model Vaquero is a great little woodswalking carry gun, the 5.5" SS Bisley is a fine hunting revolver, as is the 5.5" SS Redhawk, a Win '92 repro or Model 94 can generally handle any 'Ruger only' load if you need that power and they make great woods carbines, then there is the Uberti Win '73 I use for cowboy action shooting. Not to mention various S&Ws! Hmmmm, maybe too many 45 Colt chambered firearms? ....nawwww.

Although I do load up Hornady 250 or 300gr HP/XTPs to "Ruger level" on occasion for the appropriate firearms, if there is a need for higher power, I find that the RCBS 45-270SAA bullet loaded to moderate velocity with 20.0gr of 4227 will get the job done for about anything that needs doing, and is generally a load that delivers super performance and accuracy. Easy to load, easy to shoot and easy to bring forth big grins, the 45 Colt is a very easy cartridge to like.

Rclark

Hunter
No, No, I think bisleyfan41 is just referring to his age, after 40 you have have start repeating yourself to remember things ..... 44,44,44, soon to be 45,45, ... in my case :) . No sure what he is going to do with his username when 42 rolls around ;) ..... If actually referring to the caliber, shrug, well, shrug, ummm, what can ya' say :D . Some people just gotta be different :p . Course I never have fired a .41 ... so I shouldn't be saying anything. Just fun'nun. LOL .

Actually, see if I can buy another .45 Colt this year ... just to celebrate ..... Might have to be a Bisley this time :cool: ... Might be a USFA .... mmmm....

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
Actually, you're pretty close. Gonna be turnin' 39 next Wed, so 41's not far off for me.

Don't know what it is about the 41 I like so much, I just like it. Probably more about being different than anything. Never been one to claim the 41 is better than or worse than this or that round. Glad everyone has a mix to choose from. The 41 Bisley to me is the perfect match of gun and cartridge and it has done everything I've ever asked of it.

Rclark

Hunter
Glad everyone has a mix to choose from.
Agree! I keep meaning to get a .41 sometime ... but just haven't got there yet ... same with the .32HR Mag. As been said... just because :) .

Richard

mtngunr

Bearcat
The charm of the cartridge to me is in simply duplicating the performance of original early BP loads getting a 250gr bullet to about 1000fps....it needs no expansion being almost 1/2" across, and the penetration is more than adequate for all but the largest and most dangerous of game....and that sort of load will not stress in the slightest any modern gun chambered for it...nor the shooter....black bear, deer, wild hog, or anything of that approximate weight or size (or even a bit larger to a cool and careful shot) can not stand against such a load, which will thoroughly penetrate from most any sane angle....you get bullets of that weight moving, they don't slow down much..

Texas Jack Black

Single-Sixer
mtngunr":26yh2n0z said:
The charm of the cartridge to me is in simply duplicating the performance of original early BP loads getting a 250gr bullet to about 1000fps....it needs no expansion being almost 1/2" across, and the penetration is more than adequate for all but the largest and most dangerous of game....and that sort of load will not stress in the slightest any modern gun chambered for it...nor the shooter....black bear, deer, wild hog, or anything of that approximate weight or size (or even a bit larger to a cool and careful shot) can not stand against such a load, which will thoroughly penetrate from most any sane angle....you get bullets of that weight moving, they don't slow down much..

Well said, I have always wondered why shooters beat themselves with super dooper loads that kick the &&%%## out of them .When a 250-255 grain SWC will do the job just as well. Also be able to deliver a follow up quicker if needed. The 45 is a punch and a 255, 250, etc. will completely penetrate when sent at 1000 fps.
The Taylor Knockout and foot pounds of energy are for the paper pushers and writers used to promote sales. Most experienced shooters know that placement is what really matters.
A 45 through the heart at 500 foot pounds will kill faster than a 45 cal 325 grain slug at 1350 delivering 1000 foot pounds that hits the rear quarter.

T J B

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Texas Jack Black":pml0oyua said:
mtngunr":pml0oyua said:

Well said, I have always wondered why shooters beat themselves with super dooper loads that kick the &&%%## out of them .When a 250-255 grain SWC will do the job just as well. Also be able to deliver a follow up quicker if needed. The 45 is a punch and a 255, 250, etc. will completely penetrate when sent at 1000 fps.
The Taylor Knockout and foot pounds of energy are for the paper pushers and writers used to promote sales. Most experienced shooters know that placement is what really matters.
A 45 through the heart at 500 foot pounds will kill faster than a 45 cal 325 grain slug at 1350 delivering 1000 foot pounds that hits the rear quarter.

T J B

It's so nice to have places where common sense and logic have a hold of reality.

win85shooter

Bearcat
the fatman":3dp19fsc said:
It's kind of a controversy round. But from what I have read. If I was just now getting into revolvers I think it would be my choice. Seems to do anything you would need a revolver for well.
Bear22.jpg

Fatman...............this has absolutely nothing to do with this post but your Avatar looks like some animals that were formerly self-sufficient and are now showing signs of belonging to the Democratic Party... as they have apparently learned to just sit and wait for the government to step in and provide for their care and sustenance.

Your Avatar appears to be the Democrat bear in Montana nicknamed, Bearack Obearma.

Sorry for the feeble attempt at humor but some one just sent me an email on Wild Life that had the bear sitting at a table with the verbiage I put in above. Coincidence I guess but I've just been reading about Bearack and his health reform agenda and his intent just struck a chord with me (and not a good one). I know, I know........this belongs in the lounge so please, no one reply and I won't respond.

Mike

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I'm definitely a fan of the .45 Colt. I have dies for something like 15 different cartridges, and the .45 Colt is the only cartridge I shoot besides .22LR that I have more than one firearm for.

From mild to wild, the .45 Colt is a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with.

Daryl

Boy am I glad to see this thread back on track, I thought there for a while I was gona start a law suite!!

If I want to defend myself with no dought about one shot human kills, I'd use my 454 casual and just hope no one was behind the guy when I tore him in two.

But if I shoot a rabbit or squirel with it I'll have plenty of meat, with a standard colt load, if I shoot a deer I'll drop it like a bad habit and have plenty to eat, and if I load it hot with my 340 grain cast buy the sixth round I wont be ATE BY THE BROWN BEAR I just stopped from having me for supper!!

but thats just my opinion, and by the way I keep my 357 with max loads of 125grain Golden Sabers under my matress!!

Rclark

Hunter
Thead back on track? ... It's over a year old :) ! Not that I don't like the subject .... .45 Colt though, not .45 Long Colt ;) .

A

Anonymous

I think the 45 LC is about as good as a 44 Mg for hunting, especially in a Redhawk or even in a blackhawk.

If you want more than that, there are other choices out there that will probably beat either one of them.

My personal opinion on powerfull handguns is that UNLESS you find yourself in BIG BEAR country or in places where you are likely to confront larger critters than BLACK BEARS, the 44mg or the 45 LC is all you will ever need.

Of course, few of us limit ourselves to our "needs" when it comes to handguns. 8)

BrokNAirow

Bearcat
Yep back on track........45 colt...255gr. lym452424...rnfp.....8.5grs. unique.
or...........200gr. lswc. 7.0grs. hp38.......heavy crimp on both.......

shoots poa=poi........ ruger blackhawk........ain't no other gun like it.... :mrgreen: