.45 LONG COLT MY PERFECT CHOICE, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
I'm partial to 45 Colt, too. I guess the history and nostalgia of the old cartridge makes it especially appealing to me. Like said above, from light plinkers to heavy hardcast loads it will do most anything I want it to do. I load up from 250 grain lrn slugs all the way up to 335 grain Cast Performance WLNGC bullets.

WW231, Blue Dot and WW296/H110 are my favorite powders for loading 45 Colt.

The only 44's I've ever fired belonged to other people.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
45 Colt... I just like dropping those big cartridges into the cylinder... CLUNK ! ... Like loading artillery.... but then I also like the 32 mag,
nothin like a center fire in a single six frame.

Those are my #1 & #2.... order depends on which one I'm shooting at the moment :lol:

FrontSite

Don Lovel

Hunter
Deer hunting here in Missouri with my 7 1/2" Bisley and 300gr ammo is really the best setup I have ever used. I now have 7, BOOM DRT one shot drops on whitetails.
I bought a Puma lever in 454 Casull and have been shooting 337gr Lyman cast bullets over 20.5gr of IMR 4227. The overall length of those loads are the same as a 260gr 454 Casull, so they cycle through the gun very reliably. I just make sure I do a good job of cleaning the chamber when I am done shooting them.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
The .45 Colt is a terrific cartridge particularly for the handgun lover who doesn't want to have the same caliber as the next guy at the range. If you're belting out some of those Ruger only rounds and someone wants to know what you are shooting you don't have to say ".44 Magnum". You can throw 'em a curve with ".45 Colt" and get a real conversation started.
That said it's .44 Magnum all the way for me. Just no Legendary Stardust Cowboy in me, I guess.
I own a .45 Bisley and I do reload, have for many years. But the .45 never leaves it's box. I give my ever growing family of .44s all my love.

Rifleman

Bearcat
I have preferred the grand old 45 Colt cartridge for most handgun hunting applications for over 30 years now. My Ruger Blackhawks have served me quite well and the 7.5" Bisley model is the best one to date.

Chance

Buckeye
The .45LC BH is the gun I carry everytime we go into the desert. I love everything about the .45, handling em, loading em, shooting em, even picking up the brass. Although I have a Marlin .45 the companion rifle is a 45/70, either guide gun or trapdoor. Loaded with Unique both calibers are very accurate as far out as I can see and easy on the old bod.

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
I love the 45 Colt. I was a hard sell at first. I wouldn't get off the 357 Mag. I still love the 357, but the 45 colt is just a great cartridge. I looks and feels just right to me. 8)

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
yankee7809":3ivm2ex9 said:
terrific cartridge for the handgun lover who doesn't want to have the same caliber as the next guy at the range.

Same can be said for the 41.
Love the round.
Very versatile.
Nothing to shoot around here but deer and the occasional wild dog; fills the need just fine.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I like both calibers and probably have more natural affection for the 45 LC.

But if you are using factory ammo the 44 mag wins hands down for me on price and availability of ammo from 44 spl to some hot and heavy 44 mag loads. If you're happy to stick with run of the mill 44 mag you can get some relatively cheap ammo. 45 LC does not give you the choices over the counter and what is available is more pricey. If you handload, then you have about the same options with either, both are very versatile.

I guess the 454 casull is really the 45 (LC) magnum so if we are talking standard ammo we're comparing apples and oranges.

With the right ammo, either is capable of dealing with any human or animal predators you are likely to encounter. I think it really comes down to which you one your heart tells you you want, rather than trying to get your head to decide. Some of us are the Lone Star Cowboys, others the Dirty Harry's. If you can't decide just get at least one of each.

The 41 mag has some exclusivity, but with a 357 mag and a 429 mag (44 mag) I'm not sure why I need one despite it's merits. It seems that the 44 mag can give a little more on the top end and can be loaded down to give the advantages 41 mag may have. Then you have the factory ammo situation again in price and variety. To each his own.

Heck let's have at least one of everything, "So many guns - so little time"

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
writwing":2mfpwh9s said:
the fatman":2mfpwh9s said:
It's kind of a controversy round.
What controversy??
The loading up of 45 Colt rounds to higher power levels is problematic if there is any chance the cartridges might find their way into a New Vaquero, a replica arm, a Taurus Judge, an original revolver designed for the lower pressures (around 12,000 psi, where the heavy "Ruger Only" loads are MUCH higher).

From Cor-Bon's web page referring to their heavy loads, (clipped from
http://www.chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm
chuckhawks.com/high-pressure45.htm)

"This is NOT plinking ammo, this load should only be used in those guns that have the steel to handle the power. Guns in .45 Colt that are built on heavy duty frames, such as the Ruger, Freedom Arms, Colt Anaconda, and Thompson-Center Contender will handle this load with authority. This load is NOT intended for handguns such as older Smith & Wesson, Colt Single Action Army, or the Colt clones imported single action revolvers. Common sense needs to prevail! THIS IS NOT COWBOY AMMO!"

Hawk further points out that pressures in these so-called 45 Colt +P or Magnum cartridges are 57% higher than SAAMI standards for normal guns chambered in 45 Colt. But, unlike 44 Special/44 Magnum rounds, the hot 45 Colt will fit right in the chamber of a gun incapable of surviving the pressure.

The controversy (to my mind) is whether it is wise to make ammunition capable of blowing up guns in a cartridge indistiguishable from cartridges made for those guns. It seems to invite an accident. But then the 38 Special +p+ has much the same situation. Only the tiny "+p" on the headstamp alerts a shooter to the danger in the 38s and no such warning is on the 45s. (Note, the 45 ACP Super has a similar situation.)

The brass itself is not as durable as 44 Magnum brass, either. Chuck Hawk testifies that 45 Colt cases do not last through as many +p reloads as full power reloads of 44 Magnum cases.

On the other hand, the 45 Colt throws a bigger bullet.

compared to a 357, the 41 mag is 31% larger in frontal area and has the potential for 51% greater mass.

compared to a 41, the 44 mag is 9.5% larger in frontal area and has the potential for 14.5% greater mass.

compared to a 44, the 45 Colt is 10.5% larger in frontal area and has the potential for 16% greater mass.

compared to a 45, the 500 S&W is 23% larger in frontal area and has the potential for 36% greater mass.

When Dick Casull was developing his epynonymous cartridge he started out with 45 Colt cases, but wisely went to a longer cartridge so he would not blow up somebody's gun and then also wisely switched to rifle primers to contain the pressures.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Although Chuck Hawks is wrong about the durability of .45 Colt brass he makes one point: A person could make a terrible mistake IF they put some of the boutique rounds in an old or weak example of the .45 Colt.
Seems a little unlikely but it could happen.
The .45 Colt is really a nice caliber without jacking it up. A standard regular pressure load will get you 1000 fps out of a 250 grain bullet. Perhaps in it's standard loading it is the finest manstopper ever.
'Course I still prefer the .44!
:lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Good discussion. The concern over firing high pressure .45 Colt cartridges in "low pressure" firearms is nothing new.

I understand that some "low pressure" firearms chambered in .45 Colt will accept a .454 Casull cartridge! I had one "troublesome" Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk with sloppy chambers that would indeed chamber the rounds for my Freedom Arms .454's!

A man's gotta know his firearms' limitations, eh?

flatgate

Rclark

Hunter
A man's gotta know his firearms' limitations, eh?
Yep.... And that is why there 'should' be no controversy here in the first place. Let those that want to be conservative with their loads.... let 'em. Those that want to build up hot loads in their Rugers ... let 'em. Let those that want to use only factory loads ... let 'em. Knowledge brings understanding. "Know thy firearm, and load accordingly". Let Darwin take the hindmost. :)

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
Hmmm, I like a SA gun chambered in 45 Cal. & a DA Gun in 44 Mag- just my preference. Have both & just depends what I'm in the mood for.

But honestly, I shoot more .22 than anything else...so if I only had one, it would be the little 22.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I used to designate my hot .45 loads with a tiny spot of red nailpolish on the tip of the bullet. RED means hot to me. Sometimes I will write the load specs on the first bullet of five in each row, in case I have a bunch of different loads I need to know about.
Sonnytoo

jerry b

Bearcat
Ruger .45 Colts have been loaded a BIT warmer for many years now, and the data published in reputable loading manuals are safe for the firearms listed for those who desire a bit more out of the old cartridge. Prudent loading practices mean avoiding internet or all other questionable suggestions. And, boy howdy, there's a mess out there. If you are going to jump right on some anonymous guy's "pet" load on the net, you're nuts. Ditto for you buddy's favorite load.

If one must have various .45 Colt handguns around of different strength levels, then I 'spect something may get mixed up. On the other hand, if all of your .45 Colts are large frame Rugers (Vaquero, BH), what's the problem?

As to the original subject, I like any cartridge over 40 cal. I like the .357. But, mostly, I like the .45 Colt.