.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dougader

Hunter
Robb Barnes said:
I sent a 41 mag barrel to John Gallaghr and he is converting a 357 New Vaquero to 41 Mag for me. Pretty easy especially if you have the 41 barrel.

Hey, Robb, did you go with Blackhawk barrel or a S&W M57 ribbed barrel? Can't wait to see the pics!

smith1961

Blackhawk
Any Vaquero frame (original & new) will accept a NM Blackhawk barrel. Then find a .357 NM or maybe even 9mm Blackhawk cylinder and have it reamed for .41 mag? Redux front sight and refinish to match is all done?

gak

Buckeye
smith1961 said:
Any Vaquero frame (original & new) will accept a NM Blackhawk barrel. Then find a .357 NM or maybe even 9mm Blackhawk cylinder and have it reamed for .41 mag? Redux front sight and refinish to match is all done?
All but final re-finish (if any) and new cal rollmark over old etc., assuming you want to take it that far--most do to complete it. These "little" things are what drive these things up and why the customizers are in business. That and extra touches like hammers, action work, etc., many have them do "while they're at it." Ottherwise my (or any decent) local smith would have this done, as a functioning piece, including any action work in my case (top Coltsmith but usually no "fancy" finishing work) , inside a week and back in your hands, versus 6 mos to year wait.

RICHP

Single-Sixer
You could have the top strap welded up and reshaped to look like a vaquero. Don't know how much cost difference or which would cost more. That would have to be on a .41 mag. Blackhawk.

gak

Buckeye
The midframe is more interesting to me. The idea of a "safe" mid-bore .4_ magnum in the smaller frame appeals. And, using a .357 donor you'd already have a fitted cylinder that just needs to be reamed. With a midframe .41, to me, you'd "really have something" then, IMO. I've already got .44 Mag Vaq's--or they are otherwise out there--and don't need something "close" to what's already available in a big, heavy frame (the .41 even heavier). Relative to this, I also have a donor .357 NV--that's supposed to be destined for a .38-40/.40 convertible. A .41 midframe has always been on the list though. Now the thought's been rekindled--Darn this thread!

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The .41 Magnum has long been my hands-down favorite revolver cartridge. A New Vaquero in .41 magnum is high on my want list, even if I have to go to Ham Bowen for it. Although the durability of the New Vaquero probably isn't optimum for full-power snot knockers, it would be nice to have the option on the table on a "Need to" basis. 99% of my shooting would be with a 210 grain cast bullet and 8 grains of Unique, and using 2400 with the same bullet driven to 1200-1250 fps would likely be about as lively as I'd feel comfortable with for more than occasional use.

A New Vaquero...chambered for the now wildcat but hopefully soon to be added to the regular lists .41 Special...is one that is completely doable as a regular catalog item, and Ruger would probably be a lot more comfortable with that than with the full house magnum. If they'd offer that one...even as a Lipsey's limited run...I'm afraid that temptation would be more than I could bear.

smith1961

Blackhawk
.41 Special isn't a SAAMI round yet right? Can't see a Vaquero, mid-frame or otherwise, until that happens. Rather just advocate for a .41 Mag cuz it seems more practical/marketable for the Ruger folks to make one today (or tomorrow) :wink:

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
.41 Special isn't a SAAMI round yet right?

Not as yet, but I have hopes. It'll be a matter of demand, and at the present time, there just isn't one. Maybe Lipsey will step up to the table and roll the dice. If they get snapped up...Ruger and one of the ammo companies will probably talk.

dougader

Hunter
I'd bet if a distributor ordered 2000 41 Special revolvers they'd sell out in a few months. Even collectors would jump on and buy a few as I doubt it would become a regular item in the Ruger catalogue.

I love the way the Vaqueros look, but my eyes just don't pick up those thin sights. My first vote would be for a flat top Blackhawk... as I don't have cash to keep doing this:

i-tNFnGPL-L.jpg

smith1961

Blackhawk
Well....I already have a Williams Shooters .41 mag Flattop 4 & 5/8ths, and a NM Blackhawk .41 mag 4 digit 6.5".
Can we please just get a .41 mag vaquero or not?
:shock:
BTW...I wonder what my new friend Bill Hamm has to say about it?

smith1961

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:

He seems to think it's a cool idea. He brought up that a mid-frame version might be near limits of pressure on the smaller cylinder. I guess Ruger would know.
"Lets get er done!"

gak

Buckeye
smith1961 said:
Hondo44 said:

He seems to think it's a cool idea. He brought up that a mid-frame version might be near limits of pressure on the smaller cylinder. I guess Ruger would know.
"Lets get er done!"

I know what you're saying but the customizers seem to be ok with, and IIRC USFA built a .327 (32-20 convertible) SA a few years back...I know - a bit apples n oranges with admittedly more metal between the chambers, but I wouldn't think the .41 would be too lacking in that department either.

Latest posts