.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I've got a 41 mag S&W 57 barrel, SBH hammer and Bowen Rough Country sight ready for converting a NIB Anniversary 357 to 41 caliber. I just can't decide if I want 41 special or 41 mag.

smith1961

Blackhawk
rkrcpa said:
I've got a 41 mag S&W 57 barrel, SBH hammer and Bowen Rough Country sight ready for converting a NIB Anniversary 357 to 41 caliber. I just can't decide if I want 41 special or 41 mag.

I would think you would go with.41 mag....Didn't Alan H make a .41 special on a Single Six frame?
:shock:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
yes it's been done, but I don't remember for sure who did it. However only on the Old model. It takes a bit of frame skeletonizing and the new model transfer bar get's in the way. But that can be discarded!

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
smith1961 said:
rkrcpa said:

I would think you would go with.41 mag....Didn't Alan H make a .41 special on a Single Six frame?

It's somewhat of an esoteric internal debate. The Flat Top cylinder is not long enough to accept a Keith 220gr bullet in a 41 magnum case and that is my standard 41 mag loading so I wouldn't get much out of having the magnum. Although I believe a 255gr LBT would fit the cylinder and could prove useful in a short barreled belt gun.

I have 500 41 spl head stamped brass so I'm covered there and the novelty of the chambering appeals to me. But for resale purposes (not that I would ever sell it) the 41 mag is probably a better choice.

Either way, I want to make a decision and send it off before May.

smith1961

Blackhawk
dixie884 said:
Lipsey's keeps making new moneymakers, maybe they will get to this, eventually..............

Hopefully Jason reads these thoroughly...........a .41 in either a Vaquero or a 4" Redhawk would be fast sellers I'm sure!

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
My first big bore handgun was a 41 Magnum Blackhawk. I have always been a fan of the round. It has been discussed, but a few other projects are taking precedent right now over working on the feasibility of a mid size Flattop 41 Magnum. I feel confident it will work fine, but would most likely want to stretch the cylinder just a bit like we did on the Single Seven to minimize OAL issues with ammo.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Jason at Lipsey's said:
My first big bore handgun was a 41 Magnum Blackhawk. I have always been a fan of the round. It has been discussed, but a few other projects are taking precedent right now over working on the feasibility of a mid size Flattop 41 Magnum. I feel confident it will work fine, but would most likely want to stretch the cylinder just a bit like we did on the Single Seven to minimize OAL issues with ammo.

Thanks Jason!

I know you can't make any promises, however, many of us out here appreciate the consideration of such a project.

Thanks!

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
I had Andy Horvath make me a pair.
One is built in a 357 Mondago, the other on a New Vaquero 5 1/2in Bisley.
Both shoot great but you need to load to 1.6in or less.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Bump and I'm in! I have never bought a brand new Ruger. But if they sold a mid frame 41 I'd buy two. One short and one long tube.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
.41Mag in a mid frame flat top would make me very happy. Preferably in stainless with a 4-5/8" barrel.

dougader

Hunter
Jason at Lipsey's said:

A full window cylinder on a midframe 41 mag would be awesome. I aways hesitate when it means taking on a new caliber to load, but I'd have to buy one of those! 8)

Latest posts